Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #46
foruamit2004
foruamit2004 began at the beginning.

Device: none, in doubtful state between tabs and readers
EDIT: deleted

Last edited by foruamit2004; 01-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.
foruamit2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #47
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
hmmm, good i.e. professional dedicated cameras don't produce n Kb jpegs and they pretty use up their computing and storage capacities for what they do. I don't see them disappearing, so IMHO it's needless crap stuffing a cheap cam in everything.
(like notebooks and cellphones) the crappy 1/2 VGAres cam in the DSi being a classical example.

it 'd in fact be nice if the ereader makers 'd regain common sense and go on improving reading-related feats on their devices in hard and software you know, such useless (yeah it's irony in case u haven't noticed ) stuff like:
  • hyphenation
  • support of advanced typesetting data of the OTF fontfiles
  • complete utf-8 glyph coverage
  • whitspace recognition in images (for textflow around illustrations)
  • typographically proper border settings
  • all the stuff I forgot to mention or have no idea about being no professional typesetter.

instead they waste brainpower on sudoku and web browsers

*sigh* a wispered and overheard message to all the marketing department guys in all the unnamed gadgeteer companies:

NO your gadget won't become automagically twice as good just because you add a camera, and sudoku to it.

what comes next? shit-paper holders posting the used up lenghts of paper on twitter?

It'd be just far too cool if all of them would concentrate on doing what they have to as main task as good as possible. *sigh*
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*I think this thread is broken*

this article proves once again that technical writers don't actually use the technology they are writing about
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
There was a recent blog like this that predicted that keys would go away for houses...replaced by digital access systems, keyless entry, etc.

Not. Going to happen.
Why not? It's happening for cars. My car doesn't have a key - just an electronic thingy that I simply need to have somewhere about my person.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #50
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
There's a saying in my house about "all-doing" devices: "Not until it performs fellatio/cunnilingus, cooks and cleans house."
OK, THAT particular e-reader I would probably buy (though I'd have to be able to read while it's cooking and cleaning the house)...
Cheers,
Bev
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #51
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@HarryT
ah thats kind of bad I think.
because this even makes theft of the keys no longer needed.
All it needs is a person with a different electronic thingy on them to walk past you..
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #52
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/?tag=hdr;brandnav

On January 24th CNET TV posted a video predicting their top 5 doomed technologies:

5. Blu-ray
4. dedicated ereaders
3. 3D TV
2. Wireless HDMI
1. Wi-Fi in cars

CNET predicts that dedicated ereaders are a doomed technology and they will soon be over taken by tablets. "Readers, they're a niche for life."

And here I was thinking of buying a Sony PRS-950.

I like Brian Cooley alot but he has two things wrong in it.

1. the HD quality of video streaming doesn't come close to the level you get with Blu ray. Until there is video streaming in 70% of the household with the quality to match Blu ray.
With the sales of blu ray players being strong this past Christmas season I think he is wrong

3. Dedicated ereaders - the kindle and nook and nook color were through the roof, and among the top 5 hottest holiday gifts. The eReader has finally arrived mainstream.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #53
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not? It's happening for cars. My car doesn't have a key - just an electronic thingy that I simply need to have somewhere about my person.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...esearchers_say
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #54
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
It depends on what you mean by "doomed." I think dedicated eReaders (and I'm including things like Kindle that also have limited web functionality) are here to stay but they may become marginalized by convergence. Smart phones aren't the only game in town. My phone is still mostly just a phone. Its other features are no more convenient than the Kindle's other features. But at the same time I recognize my phone is a minority and will remain there. However, I doubt phones that are strictly phones will ever go completely away. The same applies to eReaders. If there can still be such a large industry devoted to paper books, surely a basic eReader can survive.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #55
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
OK, THAT particular e-reader I would probably buy (though I'd have to be able to read while it's cooking and cleaning the house)...
Cheers,
Bev
I'd be in line with you.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #56
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
WoW!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I do alot of reading on audio and video products and cnet is about the bottom of the barrel in terms of credible reviews.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #58
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I do alot of reading on audio and video products and cnet is about the bottom of the barrel in terms of credible reviews.
Who do you recommend instead? My husband swears by CNET (I tend to swear at CNET, but that's a different story. )
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #59
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Who do you recommend instead? My husband swears by CNET (I tend to swear at CNET, but that's a different story. )

I'm with your husband, Cnet is solid. Dave Katzmeir for HDTV's , Francine on DMP's AKA Mp3 players, David Carnoy, is really good.

I may not agree with everything but they have a great team. One of the better ones IMHO>
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #60
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And if you noticed the thread on that tablet then you'd have realised that they're basically unavailable and we've yet to hear from anyone receiving the one they ordered... and how long can a company claim to be a startup??

Quote:
Originally Posted by foruamit2004 View Post
EDIT: Don't know why my earlier comment was not registered, but again..

MY first post, came to this site searching for a good e-reader. Going through the posts on this forums,

Now while we are talking about the tabs etc, their is already a tab which has the ability to work as e-ink in sunlight and as LCD indoors. read here for more info-

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...nds-on-review/

This is possible because of "Pixel QI" displays, still a start up, heard their was some other company which displayed the same tech during CES2011.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote