Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #46
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Thank you, Jon!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #47
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Robert, one setting I suggest you put in your NickelMenu config is the force USB setting. It allows you to toggel USB without having to unplug and replug the USB cable for updating the database after adding more eBook(s).

Code:
menu_item : main : USB : nickel_misc : force_usb_connection
Can these two work hand-in hand?

menu_item :main :AutoUsbGadget:nickel_setting:toggle:auto_usb_gadg et
menu_item :main :USB :nickel_misc :force_usb_connection

Edit:

Tested and they do work together.

another question. Re the bold texts, can they be edited or are they part of the config/command line that they should be as is?

menu_item :main :AutoUsbGadget:nickel_setting:toggle:auto_usb_gadget

I want Auto USB to appear in the menu instead of AutoUsbGadget

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 01-11-2022 at 12:53 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:14 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Thank you, Jon!
Robert, you are very welcome.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:48 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Can these two work hand-in hand?

menu_item :main :AutoUsbGadget:nickel_setting:toggle:auto_usb_gadg et
menu_item :main :USB :nickel_misc :force_usb_connection

Edit:

Tested and they do work together.

another question. Re the bold texts, can they be edited or are they part of the config/command line that they should be as is?

menu_item :main :AutoUsbGadget:nickel_setting:toggle:auto_usb_gadget

I want Auto USB to appear in the menu instead of AutoUsbGadget
I believe the bolded part is the label that appears in the GUI, so you could but in just about anything* for a label.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #50
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'm the original poster in this topic. I've updated my instruction in the first post to reflect the new version of Nickel Menu that has better support for Dark Mode (it can toggle Dark Mode while reading a book without you having to exit the book or call up the table of contents or some other screen to get the toggling to take effect). Please see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=1
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:21 AM   #51
aDORAble
aDORAble began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
I wrote the original post in this topic, but someone on Reddit asked for instructions and since I've learned more since I wrote that post, I created a new guide to implementing both Dark Mode and classic invert mode on older Kobo devices. Here it is:

It's easy to add to the Clara HD, at least, and I imagine to others, and even if Dark Mode doesn't work (which inverts text but not images, and only within books), you can still easily get the old invert mode (which inverts both text and images and all screens everywhere). Make sure you're on the latest firmware for your device (do a sync first), then the tool you need is the version of Nickel Menu you can get here (make sure you're using this version):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=555

Once you've installed Nickel Menu, you'll find a new folder named \.adds\nm on your Kobo reader. Copy the file below as config-nickel-menu.txt to that folder, and disconnect your reader. It should reboot, and you'll find a new "Nickel Menu" menu icon on the various screens of your Kobo.

More about Nickel Menu is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525

Note: with the latest firmware, you can toggle dark mode, but on older devices, you have to close then reopen your book (or open the table of contents or the annotations listing from within the book) to make the Kobo recognize that you've switched modes, and to get the classic invert mode (text and images, and all screens, inverted), the Kobo needs to reboot itself for it to take effect (all your content will be fine); the Nickel Menu definitions I've provided do that automatically, although it takes several seconds to happen).

You can get my Nickel Menu file here:

https://sfwriter.com/config-nickel-menu.txt

Feel free to remove or comment out (by adding a "#" to the front of the line) items that are irrelevant to your usage. Not that the Nickel Menu file needs Unix/Mac style line endings (life-feed only), not DOS/Windows ones (carriage return followed by line-feed). If your file editor creates a *.BAK file, delete that when you're finished editing:

Code:
# DON'T FORGET TO ERASE *.BAK FILE
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
menu_item :main    :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :main    :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
    chain_success                   :power          :reboot
menu_item :main    :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :main    :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :main    :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :main    :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :main    :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
menu_item :reader  :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader  :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :reader  :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :reader  :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :reader  :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :library :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :library :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :library :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :library :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :library :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :library :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just bought a Kobo Nia and I'm trying to get Dark Mode on it.

I managed to install Nickel Menu but I'm having problems with the config file. I used your file and attached is the error message I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231123_130344.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	718.5 KB
ID:	204856  
aDORAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:32 AM   #52
aDORAble

Quote:
I'm the original poster in this topic. I've updated my instruction in the first post to reflect the new version of Nickel Menu that has better support for Dark Mode (it can toggle Dark Mode while reading a book without you having to exit the book or call up the table of contents or some other screen to get the toggling to take effect). Please see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=1
I just bought a Kobo Nia and I want dark mode on it. I managed to download Nickel Menu but having problem with the config file.

I tried using the config file you shared but get the attached error message,

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231123_130344.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	718.5 KB
ID:	204859  
Old 11-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #53
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDORAble View Post
I just bought a Kobo Nia and I want dark mode on it. I managed to download Nickel Menu but having problem with the config file. I tried using the config file you shared but get the attached error message, Please help!
Ensure you save the file as plain text. If you're using TextEdit on macOS, see here.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:54 PM   #54
aDORAble

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Ensure you save the file as plain text. If you're using TextEdit on macOS, see here.
Thank you so much for your help! Dark mode is working now