Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Redbox - Video supplier price increase 20%

I rented a movie last night (Tuesday) from Red-Box.
"The Lost Future," one of those where man's science has created a disease that has destroyed civilization and the last of mankind is fighting blood thirsty zombie type creatures. (My kind of movie.)

The price is now $1.20. [20 percent increase!]

Netflix has raised their prices already.

Will others including Amazon raise their prices?

How will this impact on all these tablets and readers that can show movies?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Oddly enough, they didn't raise their Blu-Ray prices (yet). And Netflix hasn't raised prices on their streaming-only plan (yet).

I wouldn't make it into some sort of tidal apocalypse just yet. $1.20 is still a heck of a bargain for a DVD rental. The cost of driving to a Redbox is just as big a deal (IRS figures $0.51/mile in 2011!) if you're not shopping there anyway.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Oddly enough, they didn't raise their Blu-Ray prices (yet). And Netflix hasn't raised prices on their streaming-only plan (yet).

I wouldn't make it into some sort of tidal apocalypse just yet. $1.20 is still a heck of a bargain for a DVD rental. The cost of driving to a Redbox is just as big a deal (IRS figures $0.51/mile in 2011!) if you're not shopping there anyway.
Red-Box is nice. It has locations at all the places I go.
Ingles - groceries
CVS - pharmacy
Walmart - everything.

You can return the movie to any Red-Box anywhere, so I usually do it at night when I go to eat, and since I am returning the movie, I look to see if there is anything else I want.

O.K. I am hooked on Red-Box.

I just have to make sure I don't go over to the ice cream aisle.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
IIRC Red Box announced the price increase in the last week, and their stock took a requisite hit.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I rented a movie last night (Tuesday) from Red-Box.
"The Lost Future," one of those where man's science has created a disease that has destroyed civilization and the last of mankind is fighting blood thirsty zombie type creatures. (My kind of movie.)

The price is now $1.20. [20 percent increase!]

Netflix has raised their prices already.

Will others including Amazon raise their prices?

How will this impact on all these tablets and readers that can show movies?
Go take a look at your grocery bill.

Currencies are down, and this is a correction to compensate for that. It isn't just rental movies. Concrete items have a concrete value relative to one another.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
$1.20!? Now what am I gonna do?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
$1.20!? Now what am I gonna do?
Go to the library. Better still walk to the library. Save the big bucks!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
1.20 is ok. I rent about 3 a month from redbox. honestly, if it was 1.75 i'd still rent the same.

my personal psychological price point for a impulse redbox movie rent is 1.97

Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post

Does anyone say how many blueRay disks get rented compared to regular DVD disks?

There aren't many on the machines I use.

Is Blue Ray going to die off?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
movie studios are demanding higher royalties, thats what all the price increases are. people who get angry at netflix or red box are just misinformed.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
xg4bx has it nailed. Costs are going up for all distribution channels because content providers have realized that these alternative channels are gaining popularity with the public.

The money has to come from somewhere, so it comes down to the consumer to pony up.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Well that homeless guy sleeping next to the Redbox is getting a couple dimes less from me, now.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
movie studios are demanding higher royalties, thats what all the price increases are. people who get angry at netflix or red box are just misinformed.
Agreed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
While nobody likes price increases, if the ones pitching major fits knew the WHY behind the increases, they'd probably be a little more understanding. They still wouldn't be happy, but it may be a bit easier to take.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Well that homeless guy sleeping next to the Redbox is getting a couple dimes less from me, now.
A hard otter are you!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote