Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Catalina

The rumor that's been bouncing around is that Catalina will be released tomorrow, Oct 4th. They did drop a new beta at the beginning of the week so it's a possibility.

My major interest in Catalina has to do with how audiobooks are handled, specifically moving audiobooks from iTunes to Books. I've played with the beta quite a bit, but I don't have any devices tied to my beta computer so I haven't really had a chance to test out how well all this works together.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
My major concern is how Catalina works with 32-bit apps. If not at all, then that will be problematic. Even the latest Mojave updates in the past few months have caused a few 32-bit apps to stop working, and it seems to have increased the warning messages about 32-bit not being compatible. I can use my older Mac mini (late 2012) to run them even if I upgrade my MacBook Pro to Catalina, but that is not always convenient. I would truly love to replace my 32-bit apps with 64-bit apps, but that is simply not possible in many cases.

My secondary concern is with bugginess. iOS and iPadOS were supposedly rock solid yet they still had the usual amount of minor bugs. With iOS and iPadOS that is not that important to me, but it is important on Catalina on a MacBook Pro that is used for nearly all of my serious chores. So as usual, I will not listen to the beta testers, who are often wrong or slanted in one direction or another, and will wait to see what everyone says after installing it. I don't like major surprises when it comes to Mac OS X updates/upgrades. Also, I don't like having to spend 40 minutes or longer every few days installing new updates to squash bugs, and that sometimes happens with a new OS upgrade. So I'll wait for it to stabilize and have the bug spray applied before I upgrade, if I upgrade.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to this MacRumors article,

Quote:
Apple today seeded the golden master version of macOS 10.15 Catalina to developers...
It also states what I feared would be the case:

Quote:
32-bit apps no longer work in macOS Catalina, which is something to be aware of before installing the beta.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
My major concern is how Catalina works with 32-bit apps. If not at all, then that will be problematic. Even the latest Mojave updates in the past few months have caused a few 32-bit apps to stop working, and it seems to have increased the warning messages about 32-bit not being compatible. I can use my older Mac mini (late 2012) to run them even if I upgrade my MacBook Pro to Catalina, but that is not always convenient. I would truly love to replace my 32-bit apps with 64-bit apps, but that is simply not possible in many cases.

My secondary concern is with bugginess. iOS and iPadOS were supposedly rock solid yet they still had the usual amount of minor bugs. With iOS and iPadOS that is not that important to me, but it is important on Catalina on a MacBook Pro that is used for nearly all of my serious chores. So as usual, I will not listen to the beta testers, who are often wrong or slanted in one direction or another, and will wait to see what everyone says after installing it. I don't like major surprises when it comes to Mac OS X updates/upgrades. Also, I don't like having to spend 40 minutes or longer every few days installing new updates to squash bugs, and that sometimes happens with a new OS upgrade. So I'll wait for it to stabilize and have the bug spray applied before I upgrade, if I upgrade.
yep, Apple announced they were dropping support for 32 bit apps a year ago.

There are major internal chances in Catalina. It's almost guaranteed that they will be bugs. You simply can't catch them all with a major release like this. The fact that Apple delayed the release is a pretty good indication of that.

I've tested most of my stuff with the beta. There are a few things that I can't test but so far no one has reported problems with those (drobo support is my biggest concern). The other concern is support for my weather station, but that's a case of it either works or it doesn't.

If it is released tomorrow, I likely won't upgrade until Sunday. Generally speaking, they don't actually make the upgrade available until afternoon and I'm going to be pretty busy tomorrow afternoon and Saturday. These upgrades generally take a good bit of time, so you really don't want to be under a time crunch when you do it.

Last edited by pwalker8; 10-03-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yep, upgrades do take a long time, and since Apple seems to be adverse to using copious screen messages, or even a barely adequate number of screen messages to explain why the screen is going black and how long it will remain so, there can be some moments when you are not sure if the upgrade is still installing or if it crashed. Those multiple, long periods of blank screen time always make me a bit nervous, especially if they last more than a few minutes, as they often do. And since neither of my Macs have lights to indicate if the computer is still on or if the HD/SSD is operating, a blank screen of 20 minutes can be worrying.

Even minor updates seem to take way too long.

Much better than MS forcing their Windows updates and upgrades into your PC. It never fails, the first time I run Win 10 after a few weeks the PC immediately goes into installation. So that quick 5 minute task turns into an hour or more! You can follow all the internet instructions to prevent it, but MS always seems to stay one step ahead of them. So either NEVER connect to the internet, or expect frequent and lengthy updates.
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
If you have 32 bit apps, you can install VirtualBox in 5 minutes and then install an older macOS version, and your apps, in there. VB has preset configurations for 10.6 — 10.13.

You can do this prior to upgrade to make sure it works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

It looks like Catalina is coming today. Apple rolled out the Gold Master of the beta yesterday. It's pretty snappy.

There are actually a lot of different ways to handle the older version of the Mac OS. I have an old 32 bit mac mini that I keep at Sierra for some programs that don't work with High Sierra. I also have an external solid state hard drive with Sierra installed on it, so I can simply plug that in, then boot off that. It works with both my iMac and 2018 macbook pro. Using virtual machines works as well.

The last 32 bit mac was discontinued almost a decade ago. Developers have been putting out 64 bit apps for longer than that. The problem is when you have old hardware or specialize hardware where mac support is spotty. The manufacturer of my weather station dropped their support for the software a while back. Fortunately, a third party supports the hardware with their software.

I probably need to purge my iMac of some of the old software that I haven't used in years.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you have 32 bit apps, you can install VirtualBox in 5 minutes and then install an older macOS version, and your apps, in there. VB has preset configurations for 10.6 — 10.13.

You can do this prior to upgrade to make sure it works.
Thanks, but I have limited space on my SSD these days. If I upgrade to Catalina I will use my Mac mini (late 2014) with High Sierra for 32-bit apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It looks like Catalina is coming today. Apple rolled out the Gold Master of the beta yesterday. It's pretty snappy.

There are actually a lot of different ways to handle the older version of the Mac OS. I have an old 32 bit mac mini that I keep at Sierra for some programs that don't work with High Sierra. I also have an external solid state hard drive with Sierra installed on it, so I can simply plug that in, then boot off that. It works with both my iMac and 2018 macbook pro. Using virtual machines works as well.

The last 32 bit mac was discontinued almost a decade ago. Developers have been putting out 64 bit apps for longer than that. The problem is when you have old hardware or specialize hardware where mac support is spotty. The manufacturer of my weather station dropped their support for the software a while back. Fortunately, a third party supports the hardware with their software.

I probably need to purge my iMac of some of the old software that I haven't used in years.
Unfortunately a few of the 32-bit apps I have are use fairly often and there really are no 64-bit apps to take their place yet, at least at an affordable amount. I really don't like having to jump through hoops to run them, so I'll probably stay at Mojave for now. My security camera system is still 32-bit because the company hasn't bothered to write it in 64-bit yet. Third-party apps will work, but cost oo much money, and I really don't won't to mess with switching apps right now anyway. Hopefully Amcrest will put out a 64-bit app soon rather than continuing to update their 32-bit app.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Doesn't appear that Catalina was released today after all, at least I don't see the update yet and I haven't seen any reports. It actually makes a bit of sense for them to wait until Monday or Tuesday so they don't get a bunch of support calls on the weekend.

It's kind of amazing how some companies will do that with software. I use Yojimbo from Bare Bones software. Apparently, it wasn't much of a money maker for them since they have only done bug fix releases for it since I bought it some 7 years ago.

The good news is that Apple will likely continue to support High Sierra for several years. Maybe they will up date their software by then.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

No real indications on when Catalina will be release other than Oct and the gold master was release about a week ago. No real indications that there is going to be an October event either, though there are plenty of rumors and talk about incremental upgrades to the various iPads and MacBooks. If I were to make a wild guess, I would guess that they will release Catalina without an announcement sometime this week. They have done that in the past and generally the release comes shortly after the release of the golden master, at least I don't remember any long delays between the release of the golden master and public release in previous releases.

I played around a bit with the interaction between Catalina and my iPad mini. I was disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to download by collection. I normally sync based on playlist which is a huge time saver. I suspect that if you purely have Apple audiobooks, they are handled more seamlessly and are likely downloadable from the cloud.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Catalina has been released today according to MacRumors.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Catalina has been released today according to MacRumors.
Yep, I'm in the process of upgrading my iMac. My guess is they dropped it around 2 because it wasn't available at 1:30 when I checked.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep, I'm in the process of upgrading my iMac. My guess is they dropped it around 2 because it wasn't available at 1:30 when I checked.
Often times they release upgrades shortly after 10:00am Pacific time, which is 12:00pm my time and I assume 1:00pm your time on the East coast. But I guess they were a bit later today, although I wasn't checking on it since I won’t be upgrading for a while, if I upgrade at all. I just happened to check the MacRumors site and saw their announcement. Good luck with the upgrade. I'm going to wait. With iOS 13.x and iPadOS 13.x there have been some annoying changes, and what are likely bugs, that are trying my patience right now, so I probably should have waited. Nothing major, but still annoying. So I'll hang back on Catalina for a while, maybe even wait to see which apps update to 64-bit from 32-bit. I'm in no hurry as I really don't see any "must have" new features in Catalina.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

It took a while, mostly because I have a lot of media, so it was thrashing big time moving the movies and audiobooks while the anti-virus was trying to scan and time machine was trying to back up. I shut down the anti-virus and stopped the backup and things picked up. I did have to re-install the Drobo app, other than that, it went fairly smoothly. The weather station app works fine.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Good deal!

I’ve had a High Sierra update on my Mac mini (2012) for a month or two now that I’ve never installed because I hate having to take 45 minutes to an hour to run it. The Mac mini has a bug where it gets confused when it goes into Sleep mode or tries to reboot wherein it simply turns the external Dell monitor into its Sleep mode. I never had that issue until I installed Bootcamp and made it dual bootable with Win 10. Long story short, at some point during each update it goes into monitor Sleep mode then won’t wake up without a hard restart, which of course can screw up an update if it occurs at the wrong time, which it usually does. Thankfully the MacBook Pro doesn’t do that.