Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Norbi24
Enthusiast
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4
Koreader 2019.09 Toggle Frontlight causes a system hangup on Tolino FW10 (ICS)

Sorry for bad news, but today I installed the september version on my Tolino FW10 ICS, and noticed first, that now I am able to control the frontlight intensity, after having disabled the use system settings checkbox (which was not working here with august version for some reason, only on Tolino FW12 Kitkat).
But then it occcured ... I wanted to see what the button Toggle in Frontlight menu does, clicked it and then the display was immediately black and the device remained completely hanging, I had to issue a system reset with the reset micro button. After restart device was Ok, but each Koreader start caused the same hangup and I had to reset the device.
Just to isolate, I did the following:
1. Uninstalled Koreader and installed again, but again the same picture - full hangup after first Koreader start
2. So it became clear, that there must be something wrong in the sdcard/koreader data, so I renamed this folder, reinstalled koreader again and it was working afterwards ...

Then I saved working sdcard/koreader also in another folder, just to see what is changed there on clicking of the Frontlight Toggle, and took also logcat from the koreader startup and clicking Toggle - see attached:

apparently last related activity was this:
D/FrontLight( 2137): Light====>SYS. brightness orig 0 conv 0

and then I saw on my PC screen capturing logcat, on each Tolino screen click, a couple of lines like event dropped :
Dropped event because input dispatch is disabled.

Then I reseted the device, copied both sdcard/koreader folders to PC, and compared - there are some differences in the settings.reader.lua,
both are attached.

At the end, I only copied settings.reader.lua from the saved sdcard/koreader folder to the current one, and next start of koreader worked like a charm

Attached is the logcat with the click of Frontlight Toggle button, with a
good and bad reader settings lua files

EDIT:
The problem is caused by this setting in the settings.reader.lua:
["fl_last_level"] = 0 'was set after I pressed Tggle in Frontlight menu

Previous good value was:

["fl_last_level"] = 80

If I now edit this file with Filemanager+ directly on Tolino, I can reproduce the behaviour by setting it to 0 and resolve it afterwards by seting it to 80

Hope this helps
Best, Norbert
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash.txt (125.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: txt settings.readerCrash.lua.txt (7.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: txt settings.readerGood.lua.txt (7.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Norbi24; 09-08-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
I opened a ticket in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5340.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 AM   #3
Norbi24
Enthusiast

I updated also my 2nd Tolino FW12.2 (Kitkat) to september release, and there the Brighness Toggle issue doesn't occur.
But...
With august version, if I changed the brightness level in Koreader, it was reflected also in other apps, like in the dictionary I am often calling from koreader.
But now, if I change brigtness in koreader, this change is reflected only there... and other apps stay on previous level (:-(
Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
I updated also my 2nd Tolino FW12.2 (Kitkat) to september release, and there the Brighness Toggle issue doesn't occur.
But...
With august version, if I changed the brightness level in Koreader, it was reflected also in other apps, like in the dictionary I am often calling from koreader.
But now, if I change brigtness in koreader, this change is reflected only there... and other apps stay on previous level (:-(
That's the exact behaviour I would expect from an application and is actually linked in the ticket I opened for you . Here is the expected behaviour: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-528981201

If you want to change the system frontlight just use android settings and leave "use system settings" checked on KOReader.

It is a nightmare to provide proper support on the android port of KOReader, so we have two options:

- workaround as hell for every particular device out there
- keep things sane for most devices.

I would like to keep things sane for most devices and allow device owners to workaround specific limitations of their ereaders instead of forcing bad practices just to support a few usercases.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Norbi24
Enthusiast

@Pazos, yeah, probably you are right from the systematic point of view,
but definitely the previous behaviour was more convenient for me ...
Now while reading with koreader and if wishing to change the brightness, I'd need to go to the Tolino reading app, do it there and come back to koreader again .. as I always wish to change it globally, system wide due to permanent jumps between koreader and dictionary app
So I will change it back in my koreader fork ...
Old 09-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
@Pazos, yeah, probably you are right from the systematic point of view,
but definitely the previous behaviour was more convenient for me ...
Now while reading with koreader and if wishing to change the brightness, I'd need to go to the Tolino reading app, do it there and come back to koreader again .. as I always wish to change it globally, system wide due to permanent jumps between koreader and dictionary app
So I will change it back in my koreader fork ...
I never ever used an e-ink device with android myself (I tinkered with a friend ereader once) and just have emulators to test (and a device to test stuff that cannot be tested on the emulator). Keep that in mind

Sure, go ahead, but please do notice that planned PRs, like https://github.com/koreader/android-...ncher/pull/180 ditch the WRITE_SETTINGS permissions entirely. So you'll need to backport the desired (android-luajit-launcher) changes on your branch. This is easy nowadays but might become harder on the near future (for instance, see https://github.com/koreader/android-...uncher/pull/18)

On open android ereaders normally the frontlight dialog is just another activity and we can start that in KOReader (like we open dictionary apps or links in the external browser). That is probably the way to go but is device/vendor/version dependant.

If tolinos are the kind of all-in-one app where the frontlight dialog is buried inside the reader the other option is to code a simple apk with a dialog on top to change light levels at will and use that in KOReader instead.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #7
Norbi24
Enthusiast

@pazos, gracias, I have found and installed
a simple frontlight control app from playstore
and it works fine on Tolinos, and set frontlight control in koreader to system and will not do any non standard koreader midifications