Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nook Color Magazine Rates

Why does the Nook version of the National Review cost $60/year and the online version is only $22/year?

And we're still plagued with some magazines charging more for digital versions than they do for print versions:
  • Rolling Stone: print= $26/yr -- digital= $36/yr
  • Science Illustrated: print= $24/yr -- digital= $36/yr
  • Popular Science: print= $12/yr -- digital= $36/yr
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I think what is worse is that I can't download and view the magazine on my iPad with the nook App. The magazines are not readable on the nookColor.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I think what is worse is that I can't download and view the magazine on my iPad with the nook App. The magazines are not readable on the nookColor.
What? Yes they are. I read a magazine on a NookColor last night.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
What? Yes they are. I read a magazine on a NookColor last night.
ahh pay no mind, iPad trolls and kindle trolls like to poo poo on anything that is not part of their little locked in world
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

What I meant is that the magazine print is too small to read on the nookColor which is why I went to download the magazine from the iPad using the nookApp. Article View did not occur on every page (I was looking at House Beautiful) and the pages where text wasn't viewable via Article View, the text was too small to read. I would have loved to have viewed the magazine in larger form on the iPad.
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was viewing Rolling Stone today on my nook color it's fantastic

yes we all know it's not an iPad and everything Apple is the greatest.

Yes we get that.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist

Wow, I wasn't saying that at all but I'm glad that you are a fan of the nookColor. It's just not a device I would recommend to serious magazine readers. I think the nookColor is a great device for some things, but not for magazines. Obviously you have a different opinion.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
What I meant is that the magazine print is too small to read on the nookColor which is why I went to download the magazine from the iPad using the nookApp. Article View did not occur on every page (I was looking at House Beautiful) and the pages where text wasn't viewable via Article View, the text was too small to read. I would have loved to have viewed the magazine in larger form on the iPad.
I guess it's a YMMV situation. I thought the National Geographic was absolutely breathtaking on the device. Popular Science was also easy to read and navigate, I had absolutely no trouble reading the text. And yes I'm absolutely a serious magazine reader.

If you want to view something in larger form on the iPad then maybe you should ... get an iPad?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist

I do have an iPad. and a K3 and a Sony and a nookColor. I'm pretty familiar with the pluses and minuses of all of them.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
MsCG1
Zealot

Quote:
I do have an iPad. and a K3 and a Sony and a nookColor. I'm pretty familiar with the pluses and minuses of all of them.
That's fine, but don't take exception when someone points out the fallacy in your statement that "Magazines are unreadable on the NookColor", because that's simply false. You may prefer to read magazines on the iPad, but the NookColor is perfectly capable at the task.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
That's fine, but don't take exception when someone points out the fallacy in your statement that "Magazines are unreadable on the NookColor", because that's simply false. You may prefer to read magazines on the iPad, but the NookColor is perfectly capable at the task.
more than capable, It was alot of fun, the colors on the Rolling Stone were mind blowing vibrant and accurate, reading is soo easy on it, I love the article scroll.

but to each his own. but I wouldn't go into an iPad forum and tell them how unacceptable it is there's no multitasking, no Flash, no USB port etc.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
I think it's valid to say 10" screens have more screen estate and that might translate into some advantages (and some disadvantages like greater width and heavier weight). It's not an iPad specific issue per se, there are 10" Android Tablets(^1) and if the Nook Color succeeds it wouldn't be strange for B&N to make a more expensive, 10" Nook Color(^2) *shrug*

1 - And there will more once the Android tablet market matures a bit.
2 - I'm sure they did a lot of market research and focus groups before choosing the 7" form factor, but hey, maybe the market is big enough for both.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-21-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added (^2)
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I looked at a few magazines on the demo unit at B&N and the text is quite tiny in some of the sections. I could see using this for most of my reading, but I can see needing to view some of the mags on a bigger screen.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I looked at a few magazines on the demo unit at B&N and the text is quite tiny in some of the sections. I could see using this for most of my reading, but I can see needing to view some of the mags on a bigger screen.
There is also an article view. Where you can just read one article on the screen, not the whole page of a magazine.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
cwosigns
cwosigns began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor/Droid Incredible
For the ease of portability, I think the screen size and Article View is an acceptable compromise. OF COURSE magazines are going to be easier on the iPad, but I find the NC to be more than adequate in this regard as well.
cwosigns is offline   Reply With Quote