Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Im assuming this is the correct post to work out how to get Calibre to manage collections?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184
You would be better off checking out the Wiki entry referenced in the message you posted the link to.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #17
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As for the bookmarks surviving a signout/signin, Kobo stores bookmarks for sideloaded books in two places. One being in the database which would not survive a factory reset or signout/signin while the second is in the Digital Editions/Annotations file which I have never checked after a signout/signin but would definitely not survive a factory reset.
Thanks for the factual info DNSB...

Well I can confirm that after signing out and in, it definitely (thankfully!) retains:
- my bookmarks
- the comments I included in those bookmarks

__________________________________________________ ____

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo is [...] constrained by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) [...] Kobo collects a minimum of information on sideloaded books that might be considered personally identifiable so basically, they get the page read counts and time spent reading.
What you say here is interesting!

My argument would be:

1. They already have the names of your list of 'collections'. It is also retained after sign-out/in.

2. They already have the info about what kobo-bought-book you put in what collection

3. They already have all notes you put on any bookmark.
a) I would argue this is more revealing than your list of Collections for most people

4. So surely it would not be a big deal for them to store what collections your sideloaded books went into?
It's not revealing a different class of information. It's just revealing the same info they already know, but adding in your sideloaded books.

5. Furthermore, they could just keep it on your device, surely?

6. Either way, they could just ask your permission - a bit like Google and Microsoft does routinely for various services that 'require' the personal collection of data.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #18
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

They probably just don't want to.

It's an absolutely classic anti-competitive tactic.

They won't outwardly say "We don't want you to put anyone else's books on the device - only buy them from us".

They won't actually stop you from doing it - that would smash their sales. Because actually, that's what (a significant proportion of) people have paid for the device to do!

They will just make it as hard for you as they can, to the extent that they can get away with it without it being publicly revealed and criticised.

...And THAT (not 'ranting') was the whole purpose of my post.

I predict that (if they have any sense) they will do something about this with the next update.

At the very least, WARN people!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #19
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

To be brutally honest - and I used to be a copywriter writing ads for a bunch of well-known multinationals - so I know a bit about marketing:

The fact that all of the users' 'Collections' (shelves/categories) info is essentially destroyed is quite pathetic.

It looks really bad. It looks amatuer.

It should be an embarrassment to them.

But I would like them to address the things I started this post with (ESPECIALLY restoring the capacity to add a memory stick of some kind. I don't NEED a bigger screen like the latest one. The Libra screen is perfect. I need more STORAGE! If their next device doesn't have that, I will be looking elsewhere.)

Last edited by LivresInOz; 09-17-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #20
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Hey y'all, do you think this video provides a good preview of what you will need to do to get Calibre to manage the shelves/collections?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEoQGwPN8wg

The process looks a bit daunting in the sticky so that might help someone if it is.
Advert
Old 09-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I need more STORAGE! [/B]If their next device doesn't have that, I will be looking elsewhere.)
Considering how long ago they dropped support for external SD cards, and that they've been consistently around the 8GB mark (barring special editions and the premium flagship device of the Elipsa) I'd say go ahead and look elsewhere.

I'm sure you'll be a delight to the forums for whatever device you find.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #22
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

This also useful?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #23
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

It seems that all the instructions are (rightly) assuming you are starting from scratch.
I already have a bunch of collections on the Kobo.
So I would prefer to use those names.

If someone can point me to where I can read about how to 'grab' them, I'd be most grateful because it will save some time.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:17 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you seriously think that Kobo reads this forum?

Do you seriously think that functionality that has existed since day 1 will be changed because YOU don't like it?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #25
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you seriously think that Kobo reads this forum?

Do you seriously think that functionality that has existed since day 1 will be changed because YOU don't like it?
My answer is below.

Oh - that's right ! Smart companies totally ignore all user feedback! 🤣

Smart companies base future features on what they've "always done" 🤣 🤣

Smart companies pay no mind of social media. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Of course the evidence of this can be seen in the number of times a company rep from a company that is ACTUALLY smart will chime in on a forum or twitter with a response.

Let's see what happens.

This is good though - you're motivating me to complain about this bookshelf destruction in every forum I can find until they DO fix it ! 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon.png
Views:	70
Size:	855.6 KB
ID:	189294  

Last edited by LivresInOz; 09-17-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you actually want to be heard by Kobo in anyway that they’ll listen to you can submit feedback on their site.

But I’ll give you a little spoiler you’re hardly the first person to whine about sideloaded content. Likely since you joined the forum over a decade ago. And yet none of the major companies have thought it would be a good feature to focus on.

So good luck sport. When the next device from Kobo launches without an SD card will you make good on your word, or are all your statements of action merely hot air? How about when the next firmware is released and it doesn’t touch how sideloaded content is handled? Will you come around and admit you were wrong in some of your statements here? Only time will tell. Though if your posting history is any indication you probably won’t.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #27
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

All in good fun, boys.
Don't take it too seriously.
It was nice sparring with you
Old 09-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #28
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Honestly I think its all a bit greedy and low-down.
Is it not enough that I bought the damned hardware?
It was not cheap.
It was certainly not like buying a printer - where its set at a low price because they mainly want you to buy the cartridges.

I think its bad faith to have such a casual attitude about how the interface handles sideloaded books, when they know very well that's a major reason people buy, and for some the main reason.

I deeply question your notion that it's just fine for companies to try to force the consumer into buying their products by - in essence - providing a substandard service in one area.

Let's see if someone comes into the market with a device well-suited to putting your own books on it. It seems people like Boox, and even Remarkable might do this. Let the MARKET punish this lack of care for the customer.

If I'm not the first person to complain - GOOD. Maybe they will listen. Or pay the price like MySpace.

All that stuff challenging me to not buy the next device etc is just nonsense and you know it. I will adapt to whatever is rational and ethical for me to do.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Honestly I think its all a bit greedy and low-down.
Is it not enough that I bought the damned hardware?
It was not cheap.
It was certainly not like buying a printer - where its set at a low price because they mainly want you to buy the cartridges.

I think its bad faith to have such a casual attitude about how the interface handles sideloaded books, when they know very well that's a major reason people buy, and for some the main reason.

Let's see if someone comes into the market with a device well-suited to putting your own books on it. It seems people like Boox, and even Remarkable might do this. Let the MARKET punish this lack of care for the customer.

If I'm not the first person to complain - GOOD. Maybe they will listen. Or pay the price like MySpace.

All that stuff challenging me to not buy the next device etc is just nonsense and you know it. I will adapt to whatever is rational and ethical for me to do.
The Nia is all of 99$ USD, you can at times get various refurbished devices for less than that. A cursory look for a printer, really who prints much of anything these days yet you call me a boomer, ok gramps, returns prices from 40 and up. Of course you have to buy paper and ink for the printer while you have endless books available for free for your Kobo directly from the device for free. So yes it’s not like a printer at all. You opted to get one of the higher end devices which was your choice.

The interface actually doesn’t distinguish between sideloaded books and store bought. You can make kepubs which will be the same visually as purchased books. Even ePubs will only appear different in that they will be noted as epub. It’s the underlying system which treats them differently and for most people they’ll never notice because it only becomes an issue if you log out.

Yes I’m sure Boox will disrupt Amazon 🙄. And the Remarkable at an even higher price doesn’t have readers as a focus it’s just an add on feature. But I’m sure you understand all about business demographics despite all evidence to the contrary.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:23 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Meera, thanks for your kind simple brief good advice, free of snarky comments, which I will now follow, after responding to the trolling (with a bit of helpful info mixed in 🤣 ) above. [...]

PS Thanks to everyone including the troll patrol 🤣 for helping to produce enough keywords for Google that anyone considering Kobo will see this. And hopefully the tone-deaf Kobo company itself will consider fixing it!

WHICH WAS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE.
Honestly dude, you might consider pulling your bloody head in. There's an enormous amount of tech help available here if you're not ... like this ... about it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote