Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 04:15 AM   #1
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-300, PRS-950 and Archos 9
PRS-950 (and others): Battery replacement ever done by yourself? Result?

Hello all,

I have a nearly 10 years old PRS-950 and did a battery replacement by myself. Basically this worked and I was able to use the reader with the replacment battery to read.

But the new battery cannot be loaded - no symbol on the display for load, no red LED, nothing. When trying to load via computer I always get the error 'Charging stopped', 'The reader is currently experiencing extremely temperature...'

I thought that the battery is maybe bad and bought another one (different
trade) but it is the same with that, exactly the same behavior, exact the same error message. Whatever I tried, what devices, computers, ... I used: still the same.

Is there someone who also tried to do this replacement on PRS-950 or another PRS- and had the same issue? Or even not?
Is there maybe a check / a blocker built in the device which prohibits the usage of non Sony batterys in it?

I really appreciate every answer. With searching in the forums I was not successful finding any thread regarding this subject...

Thank in advance, Franz Peter.
FraPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I tried and the replacement effort was a disaster. Ended up tossing the 950. In my case, the ribbon somehow got a very tiny cut/nick/tear. That made the 950 dead.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I tried and the replacement effort was a disaster. Ended up tossing the 950. In my case, the ribbon somehow got a very tiny cut/nick/tear. That made the 950 dead.
Well ... that's not good to know. I assumed it would be a fairly easy process.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Hello Richard,

thank you for your feedback. Indeed the danger to get such an issue you had is relatively big because the process is not trivial.

I did it without damaging the reader but now I have the battery issue. The only idea I currently have is to use an external battery / powerbank to avoid using a power supply during reading.

Sad because the PRS-950 is a really great ereader (still and also compared to
much newer models).

Kind regards, Franz Peter.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Franz, I loved my 950 and I agree that the 950 was the best ereader made to date. But Sony really made it difficult to replace the battery. I didn't care too much when I thought Sony was going to continue to make and upgrade the 950, but became really frustrated when Sony stopped making them altogether. I also had a Sony 505, which my wife took over (which is what caused me to buy the 950). When the battery went on that, it too had to be junked. Now we use Nooks because Nooks will accept epub files. Their batteries can't be replaced either.
Advert
Old 03-31-2019, 02:21 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well ... that's not good to know. I assumed it would be a fairly easy process.
Nothing easy about it at all, as I discovered.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
... Now we use Nooks because Nooks will accept epub files. Their batteries can't be replaced either.
I don't know about the newest Nook (Nook Glowlight 3) or the original Nook, but I know battery replacement for the Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight and Nook Glowlight Plus is pretty easy. I've personally replaced a battery in a Nook Simple Touch and it took about ten minutes.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
FraPe
Enthusiast

Hello,

using Google again and again I found it - there is an article at
https://hackaday.com/2016/12/04/repl...eader-battery/
describing exactly what I also faced:
But hold on — the new battery wouldn’t charge, and the reader displayed a message saying that the battery was over heating; irony, thou art cruel.
It turns out that the new battery had a different value NTC thermristor which threw off the reader’s safety feature. [Gangemi]’s solution was to solder in a 60K Ohm resistor to offset the NTC value enough to allow the reader to charge — effectively disabling the safety feature in the process. For a low-power device, it’s a small price to pay to have it working good as new.

So this is planned obsolescence as suspected...

P. S.: Now searching for a source for a 60K Ohm resistor
Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraPe View Post
Hello,

using Google again and again I found it - there is an article at
https://hackaday.com/2016/12/04/repl...eader-battery/
describing exactly what I also faced:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't this battery (available on eBay) just "plug and play" without the hack?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cameron-Sin...frcectupt=true
Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
FraPe
Enthusiast

This is exactly the one I bought first but loading it is not working as described in my thread above. So no 'plug and play' without hack.

Kind regards, FraPe.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
This is exactly the one I bought first but loading it is not working as described in my thread above. So no 'plug and play' without hack.

Kind regards, FraPe.
Okay. Sounds to me like the battery is too old (has been depleted too long) to take a charge. I would try getting a replacement.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #12
FraPe
Enthusiast

I am not an electrical engineer but as far as I understood the article at hackaday the reason is not a battery too old it is the so called 'security' Sony built in. I tried it with two batterys as stated above and have the same issue with both. So I will try to solve it in the way as described at hackaday.

This so called 'security' mechanism is built in nearly everything that needs batterys and other 'perishables'. I know it from printers (ink cartridges), from cameras (battery), ... The producers are building them in to a lot of electronic parts to prevent users from using 3rd party batterys, cartridges, etc. They tell us that this is to prevent issues but in reality this has a commercial background. Never had any issues with 3rd party batterys or cartridges when they build in a chip to overcome such 'security'. But in the case of the PRS-950 it seems that there is no such chip built in to the battery and therefore this issue happens.

As an example for this:
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/for...c_battery_drm/
Sony also is doing it:
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-...rty-batteries/

Indeed the way of the implementation is different but the result is the same: You cannot use the 3rd party battery as spare part!

Last edited by FraPe; 04-04-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #13
FraPe
Enthusiast

This is / was really the solution to bring the PRS-950 back to live. Everything is working after I solded in a 68K Ohm 0.5 Watt resistor into the white cable on the battery (the mid one).
So the PRS-950 with the new battery can be loaded and indeed can be used for reading as before! All other functionality is available. Hope it will now work for the next 10 years...

Old 04-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
This is / was really the solution to bring the PRS-950 back to live. Everything is working after I solded in a 68K Ohm 0.5 Watt resistor into the white cable on the battery (the mid one).
So the PRS-950 with the new battery can be loaded and indeed can be used for reading as before! All other functionality is available. Hope it will now work for the next 10 years...
I'm happy to hear that. Thank you for reporting your experience! Down the line I'm probably going to need to do this. (Probably should save the hack HTML file locally.) But it does bother me a bit that people sell replacement batteries for the PRS-950 that aren't really replacement batteries.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #15
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:

How did you fit the mod in the original case? Can you post a photo?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote