Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
gagsays
gagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Searching for a very specific sci-fi novel

Hi everybody.
Guys, i need your help to find a right novel for my next read.
Here's my requirements-
1. Has to be about few people(6-10) traveling in a space ship.
2. Novel must not have alien invasion as the main theme because then it will definitely contain numerous character.
3. If possible earth might not even be involved at all other than in some backstory stuff.
4. I am looking for some thing between Alien movies and Moon(not twilight) movie or even Dead Space (it's a PS3 game).
5. Avoid long series (except if it is a strong contender) because again i don't want to experiment (just this time). 1-3 books will do.
6. It can be a mix of following genres (in left to right order)- sci-fi, adventure, horror, action
If you are wondering why i am being so specific, its because i have had ample share of bad books and plus i always like such setting in stories.

One more movie that strongly matches my requirements is Pandorum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum)
-it is mostly in spaceship
-very few characters
-claustrophobic feel
-i think it has a wonderful ending (and in that case i will really like a sequel)

Some sci-fi novel which i have read (have nothing to do with my requirements)-
War of worlds - for me it was boring
Halo: the fall of reach - it was a good read but i felt, at times, it was pretty repetitive and bland may be because it was more of military sci-fi.
Contact - still not completed

Please post your suggestions, can't wait to see results.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by gagsays; 10-04-2011 at 03:07 AM.
gagsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Spinward Fringe - Randolph Lalonde
Galaxy Unknown - Thomas dePrima
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
I'm assuming the OP wants all the bullet points, and if Matheson hid a spaceship in I Am Legend he did it well indeed. Offhand the most fitting tale I can think of is The Lifeship by Harrison and Dickson. Not great by any means, but I recall the claustrophobia after decades. Doesn't really hit point four, though. Fool's War by Sarah Zettel is a dissimilar novel that hits most of the points, even number four (if you define things very loosely).

Ooh: Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's got that "people in a ship with dangerous and scary stuff going on" vibe down pat. The Tartarus Incident by William Greenleaf is similar, though they get off the ship for most of it, IIRC.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear-

Never one to play it safe in his consistently inventive fiction, Bear takes the reader for a harrowing ride on a labyrinthine starship in his latest hard-SF-oriented novel. Bear’s protagonist is an amnesiac starship crew member just released from a deep hibernation state called Dreamtime. Naked, disoriented, and forced by extreme temperature and gravity fluctuations to find safety somewhere among a confusing network of passageways, the man eventually receives help from an odd assortment of fellow Dreamtime refugees. Taking stock of their surroundings, while avoiding onboard killing machines, the gang quickly realizes the starship has given them each a unique role to play, including discovering collectively why the ship has been seriously damaged and cast aside from its mission to seek out habitable worlds. Bear’s pithy, occasionally cryptic writing style perfectly captures the chaotic experiences and unsettling revelations the team endures, while putting an intriguing spin on the timeworn SF theme of interstellar planet hunting. One of Bear’s most thought-provoking and well-crafted novels to date.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Ship of Fools - by Richard Paul Russo

It's got aliens, but you don't see them much.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear-
Never one to play it safe in his consistently inventive fiction, Bear takes the reader for a harrowing ride on a labyrinthine starship in his latest hard-SF-oriented novel. .
Second this. There's another, older, novel by Brian Aldiss called _Non-Stop_ which you may also like.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
gagsays
gagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheese

woh! that's a lot of suggestions, thanks and keep them coming.

i feel some people have considered my points completely. please try to adhere to them as much as possible.

here's what i reckon about some of the books suggested, correct me if i am wrong.

1. 2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke - isn't it somewhat like a grade school textbook. i have only seen its movie and it felt like a observatory/documentary kind of movie.
2. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - to my best knowledge it doesn't belong here.
3. Foundation - it is a very long series.

as for other novels, they are all new to me. it will take some time to go through their summaries and decide.

If you are wondering why i am being so specific, its because i have had ample share of bad books and plus i always like such setting in stories.

People, please, avoid long series (except if it is a strong contender) because again i don't want to experiment (just this time).

One more movie that strongly matches my requirements is Pandorum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum)
-it is mostly in spaceship
-very few characters
-claustrophobic feel
-i really liked its ending

thanks again

Last edited by gagsays; 10-04-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It's not a book, but you might enjoy the movie "Sunshine" if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
gagsays

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It's not a book, but you might enjoy the movie "Sunshine" if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/
No doubt in that i definitely liked that movie.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Traveling through space is not that different from crossing oceans by sailing. Perhaps you might find something that interests you by looking to the past rather than the future. At least there'd be way more books to choose from.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #13
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Ooh: Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's got that "people in a ship with dangerous and scary stuff going on" vibe down pat.
This sounds really good.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
gagsays

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Traveling through space is not that different from crossing oceans by sailing. Perhaps you might find something that interests you by looking to the past rather than the future. At least there'd be way more books to choose from.
I totally agree with you but problem is i usually find it hard to go through old novels because of - long dragging scene description, alien (of course figuratively)language.
And this time, i am totally looking for a space adventure.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
gagsays

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
This sounds really good.
Blindsight by Peter Watts
just checked, found it, available for free here http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Last edited by gagsays; 10-04-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Tags
alien, recommendation, sci-fi, searching, space travel