Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur
HippieWiccan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE
Content Server Not Loading

Help! When I am in the content server it will only load so many books then stops! It refuses to scroll or load more! This is new since Calibre updated...did they break something?
HippieWiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

UPDATE: it seems to be only happening under one specific tag. I have tried removing the tag. I have tried moving the book just past the last book it will load. I have tried moving the books to a different library. Nothing will get it to scroll past.
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
well I guess the 1st thing you need to establish is whether the problem is at the content server end, or at the device+ CC app end

can you access your content server from some other device and see if you can scroll past the sticking point

can you make a mini calibre library ( about 2 screens worth) whcih contains the problematic tag, connect to that, and see if the cc app on your regular device will scroll through the 2 screens

if you suspect a calibre update is to blame, roll back to a previously working version of calibre and see if that fixes it. old installers are easy to find
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@HippieWiccan: Try changing the Content Server preferences "Maximum number of books in OPDS feeds" and "Number of books to show in a single page". These are in Preferences / Sharing over the net / Advanced. Try setting them to a larger number.

If that fixes the problem/changes behavior then it is possible that something broke "paging" in the content server. If so then the problem will likely be very hard to find.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

@Stumped I tried the tester library. No joy! It still stops at the same title. I don't have another device to test it on. I will try an older version of Calibre but I can't do it tonight. Thank you.
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

@chaley When I changed those numbers the content server wouldn't show me any titles at all!
Old 07-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

UPDATE: Now it is doing it when sorted by title. It did go about 3 pages last the title it was freezing on when sorted by tag but it is still just stopping!

This problem does seem isolated to one library. I just checked another library that is considerably larger and didn't stop.

Last edited by HippieWiccan; 07-27-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

its looks like your problem is at the content server side. maybe even triggered by one specific book in one library that it chokes on ?
what is your calibre version?
the previous releases page is here
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/
Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

My version is 3.46

I downloaded 3.45.2 and I will install it later. Right now i am backing my libraries up to the cloud (which is going to take forever) just so I am sure to not lose them when I uninstall calibre. I will let you know if thi fixes it. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

ok - that is safe practice.
By design, you can remove or overwrite the calibre program with no loss of data but why risk it
Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Well...I installed the older version...no luck! CC is still stopping at the same point. What's weird is it will go past that title in title view but still hangs up a few pages past. Other libraries don't do this! I have a massive (20,000+ titles) cookbook library and it's fine!

I tried making a new library and copying the titles to it but it still hung-up at the same point! At this point IDK what to do! I have spent so long tagging and sorting books I can't imagine starting over!

I thought about converting all of them (epub to epub) to keep from losing the tagging but IDK if that will even work! I would then drag them all to one folder, start a new Calibre library, then add the epubs to the new library. This is a massive job with 6,000+ titles but I don't know what else to do!

Does this sound like it might work?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

you have confirmed that calibre update is not the cause - so you can go ahead and re-install latest version if you like
can you nail down a date window in which the problem first appeared, and, maybe remove all books added in that period ( send to disk, then delete - you can put them back later ), reverse any other preference changes you may have made, then retest

I am guessing that because you suspected the calibre update, that the problem started after the 1st time you did the update, so the update release date will be a clue

did you run the library maintenance checks?

if you expand the list of tags in use, in your left hand pane options in calibre- is anything strange in there. e.g. a weird accidental character in a tag, that could be causing the glitch?

last thought is that cc has 2 connection options, content server, and wireless device.
if you connect as a wireless device, instead of to the content server, and scroll through - what happens then?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

I did remove all of the books from before this started. I managed to scroll 2 books past where it was stopping but no further.

I did run the checks and it found no errors.

There are no funny characters in tags. No tags that don't belong. (I am pretty OCD about the tags).

It connects as a wireless device, but IDK how to access the library on my computer that way. I only use it to update read books and update metadata on the tablet.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieWiccan View Post
It connects as a wireless device, but IDK how to access the library on my computer that way. I only use it to update read books and update metadata on the tablet.
The wireless device is a "push" connection. You use calibre on the computer to send books to the device, etc. The content server connection is a "pull" connection, where you use the device to get books from calibre.

The FAQ What are the differences between Content Server, Cloud, and Wireless Device connections? goes into a bit more detail.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #15
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Thanks chaley!