Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #46
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, they COULD control it. They are just choosing not to, and by the time they wise up, it may be too late.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
SHARKuk
SHARKuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Think the short answer is "greed".
+1 this ..
SHARKuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #48
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
<< What I can't handle though is an ebook being $3 more than the paperback. >>

Has it occurred to you that it is the bookseller that is pricing it? Why should they discount an ebook?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I went though the top 20 Kindle best sellers for 2013. All of them were cheaper than the paper version. There may be some e-books that are more expensive than the paper version, but that looks to be pretty uncommon these days.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #51
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Anemic Oak, That was the funniest post I have seen in ages. Thanks for the reminder.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
<< What I can't handle though is an ebook being $3 more than the paperback. >>

Has it occurred to you that it is the bookseller that is pricing it? Why should they discount an ebook?
I think there is a difference between discounting and charging the same myself. There are less expenses with an ebook as you don't have to pay for paper and ink, storage, transportation etc. like with a physical book. And some ebooks aren't very well edited to tell the truth. I don't know what amount the bookseller has to pay to the publisher in order to market a given ebook but I bet that factors into what the buyer is charged. At least when it's not a self-published book. I imagine there are other charges that don't apply to paper books, but then shouldn't it balance out? I mean with each medium has its own charges and so they come out even. I mean if I buy a paper book from Amazon I'm charged s/h costs for it, but there is nothing physical to ship with an ebook. With the reader itself sure, but not with the actual text of a book. So that charge doesn't apply.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Anemic Oak, That was the funniest post I have seen in ages. Thanks for the reminder.
Agreed. I didn't realize til I started scrolling back just how long it had been since this thread had been resurrected.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #54
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Shouldn't it be "thou wast"?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #55
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Since the terms are from a time before either grammar or spelling was standardized I don't think there's any 'correct' version. If it gets the meaning across then I think they accepted is as good. Today's professors might disagree but I don't think the original writers would.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #56
DaveinJapan
Enthusiast
DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
As long as publishers and stores have this mindset, ebooks will remain niche products.
Unless others come along and provide a comparable product at a lower price.
DaveinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #57
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Since the terms are from a time before either grammar or spelling was standardized I don't think there's any 'correct' version. If it gets the meaning across then I think they accepted is as good. Today's professors might disagree but I don't think the original writers would.
No...!
All languages have grammar, even if they don't have spelling, and all grammars follow rules. -st is the standard early modern English second person indicative ending: thou liest, thou goest, thou eatest, etc. (There are irregular forms; thou art, thou shalt, but they are limited to the irregular verbs. Thou *shalst is ungrammatical, as is thou *goet.)

However, "thou wert" is not necessarily incorrect; it is just the subjunctive form.

In modern English, we do still sometimes distinguish between indicative and subjunctive: "I was at the store yesterday" is a statement of fact; "was" is the correct standard form for these kind of statements (i.e., indicative statements). "I were at the store yesterday" is ungrammatical in standard english as a statement of fact, but it's proper in contrary-to-fact subjunctive statements ("If I were at the store yesterday, I would have told you." (but I wasn't at the store). It doesn't have to be in the past: "If I were you" is a contrary to fact statement about the present.

Of course a lot of people don't use subjunctive anymore, so you do hear "If I was at the store yesterday" or "If I was you...".

However, earlier forms of the subjunctive were used in far more situations than they are now, including in statements showing hope (i.e., the optative mood) or doubt or even a statement of belief that a person does not know is true, but believes to be true (or sometimes hopes to be true; see optative).

But "wast" is *probably* better, since it doesn't seem like a form of the subjunctive would apply.

Note that "thou wert" is all over the King James bible ("If thou were pure and upright...").

Anyway, the second line doesn't scan well. Maybe "Arise, thread, long since dead/ Fill thy forum with fear and dread!"
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Publishers want to prove that ebooks is a bad thing.
They want customers keep on shedding loads of money for printed books. Also, they know that they will loose the battle, so they try to make as much money as possible while they can to save for a couple of yachts after they are out of business.
I feel your pain, but I am unable to get too worked up about the publishing industry. I need to save my hate for the much eviler cable/telcos.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #59
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
To loose the battle is to release or let go the battle. To fail to win the battle would be to lose it.
Grammar Nazi.........
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #60
candace964
candace964 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Audiovox 6600
Price gouging
candace964 is offline   Reply With Quote