Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
modkindle
modkindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Error Adding Plugin

My last question of the night I promise!

I am running Calibre 0.6.51

I am attempting to add a plugin. I have tried a couple different versions of the source code and I am zipping it using 7-Zip.

This is the error I get.

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>UnicodeDecodeError</b>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x88 in position 11: unexpected code byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 531, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 271, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 65, in load_plugin
File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x88 in position 11: unexpected code byte
modkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure your plugin .py file contains only ASCII
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Kovid,

Can you suggest a good editing program for windows? I've created and run plugins before, but for some reason when I edited one today, I started getting the same type of utf-8 error.

I was hoping you might know of a good editor for python files for windows. What I've been using doesn't seem to work anymore.

xfeTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 120, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 80, in add_simple_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 457, in main
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xaf in position 12: unexpect
ed code byte
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

notepad++ should do the trick
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
notepad++ should do the trick
Hmm. Is there a setting I'm missing then? That's what I used in the past, and what I'm currently using.

Weird.
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dunno, I don't really use windows, so I have only the most rudimentary familiarity with notepad++
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have used vim with success. I currently use eclipse with pydev, along with anyedit to clean up lines when writing. That being said, I have not tried to write strings with non-latin characters, so your mileage might vary.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Note that in a python file you can always escape non ascii characters in strings. I would recommend doing that, as it's the most portable, provided you dont have too many such characters.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Note that in a python file you can always escape non ascii characters in strings. I would recommend doing that, as it's the most portable, provided you dont have too many such characters.
Thanks for the help, I'll just have to keep seeing what I can find. I'm not using non-ascii characters, and I barely changed the script from what it was before. I even changed it back and tried to use it, and I get the error above.

Thanks for trying to help, though.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
junkml
Addict

I've stripped this down to where it's just doing a "print" statement, so I can see what's happening when I use calibre on the command line.

Maybe someone could take a look and see what the heck I've screwed up. I'm kind of frustrated, since this file was working perfectly until I edited it today.

When I use calibre-debug --add-simple-plugin epub_plugin.zip, I get:
(most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 120, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 80, in add_simple_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 457, in main
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xaf in position 12: unexpect
ed code byte

Last edited by junkml; 05-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I was able to add that plugin to calibre and I don't see the byte 0xaf anywhere in the .py file

Are you sure you're adding the correct file?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
junkml
Addict

Quote:
I was able to add that plugin to calibre and I don't see the byte 0xaf anywhere in the .py file

Are you sure you're adding the correct file?
That's aggravating. I'm pretty sure I'm adding the right .zip file, as the datetime stamp matched what I had just built.

I'll have to play with it more tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
DokaMax
DokaMax began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
You can try this http://mmm-experts.com/download/PyScripter-setup.exe PyScripter for Windows Py editig. I was try add your plugin and have no error.
DokaMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, now I see it, if you're using --add-simple-plugin then you pass it the path to the .py file not the zip file (the idea is that it makes it easy to add plugins that have only a single py file)

If you want to add the zip file use

calibre-customize --add path to zip file
Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Ah, now I see it, if you're using --add-simple-plugin then you pass it the path to the .py file not the zip file (the idea is that it makes it easy to add plugins that have only a single py file)

If you want to add the zip file use

calibre-customize --add path to zip file

Thanks Kovid.

I went through this morning and re-installed notepad++ and everything seems to be working again.