Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #31
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I've been playing with the thought to customize my 505, too. Then I found this thread, and I like the idea of the books by folder really a lot. But I'm not sure which files I need. I would love to get some new Icons, the books by folder and the uniform sized letters for the menu.
Use the guide I provided a few posts above.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #32
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
and rename it to .nocard.
Correction, ".noscan".

Quote:
I've recently installed PRS Customizer onto my 505 and would love to try this out too, to be able to have all my books on one card is awesome.
Pepak, have in mind that utility that sony firmware is using for scanning external cards is reported to be buggy when using non-latin folders. I've experienced this once (though couldn't reproduce). Might happen only on Vista and above.

Mike_73
Use pepak's guide, or simply wait for a week or so, until I finish the key customization via menus feature and do the first release.

This firmware is intended to be used standalone. It will integrate most of the common "hacks".

Last edited by kartu; 12-11-2009 at 02:14 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Pepak, have in mind that utility that sony firmware is using for scanning external cards is reported to be buggy when using non-latin folders.
I will remember that, but fortunately it doesn't apply to me - as I am one of those people who get nervous even around long directory names, I would never use a non-7bit-ASCII character in a filename.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #34
drwowe
Enthusiast
drwowe began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I turn off the clock?
The universal flasher instructions (Settings -> About -> 0) isn't working.
drwowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

drwowe
Just delete the clock.js.

PS
Good that you've asked. I didn't suspect somebody would want to switch off the clock and I wouldn't include this option.

Last edited by kartu; 12-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #36
drwowe
Enthusiast

Quote:
I didn't suspect somebody would want to switch off the clock and I wouldn't include this option.
I actually don't like the clock when I'm reading because it makes me too conscious of time. I don't want to know it's getting late and I need to sleep. But sometimes it's useful when travelling, any chance you could make it switchable at runtime like the Universal Flasher?

Other feature I would like is copy from internal mem to card, and copy between SD <-> MS card.

But so far it is looking pretty good, thanks for the project!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
dreamers
dreamers began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch, iPad, iPhone
i can not for the love of god get this thing on my reader. i have followed pepak`s method and i still end up with the same firmware that i started off with. and i have no idea how to do it the other way. could someone please write a step by step. it would be much appreciated.
dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
kartu
PRS+ author

dreamers
Sorry mate, can't help you with that. Maybe you just wait for release, when you won't have to marry 2 firmwares to get what you want.

drwowe
Quote:
any chance you could make it (clock) switchable at runtime like the Universal Flasher?
I will. There will be something like "addon options" in settings menu.

Quote:
Other feature I would like is copy from internal mem to card, and copy between SD <-> MS card.
You'll have to elaborate on how do you imagine this in UI. Additional menu point when entering book?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #39
drwowe
Enthusiast

Quote:

You'll have to elaborate on how do you imagine this in UI. Additional menu point when entering book?
I think it would fit nicely in the "utilities" sub-menu next after delete book. This would be for active books that can currently be read.

For inactive books on a .noscan card, then "copy to other card" would do the trick in addition to the current copy to main mem options.

Does that sound doable?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #40
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Possible bugs.

-After using once Copy and rescan options, they disappear

- When you remove and then put the SD, the reader is stuck on the menu screen" books by folder "
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #41
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Hey thanks for the info. I appreciate all the work you put in. I guess I'll wait until everything is worked out and a final is released. Unless you would need someone to beta-test the fw.

Thanks again. Great job.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
What you need to do, copy any file to the reader (e.g. in Windows Explorer, right click on an image, choose Copy, then open the Reader, right click in an empty space and click Paste) and rename it to .noscan

[/QUOTE]

exactly how?
Its not possible in my Windows. If i change the file name with ".noscan", Windows no save and get a message that type a file name
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Wake me up when ported to PRS-500 new firmware..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #44
kartu
PRS+ author

drwowe
Doable - yes. But I wonder about the use case. 2 users sharing books?

surquizu
I wonder how did you get "copy and rescan" without creating ".noscan" file? ^^

Regarding the ".noscan" file, one of the easy ways is opening notepad and saving the file with type "any file" (or whatever it's called) and the given name.

Removing & adding card is not nicely "supported" but should never get you stuck somewhere. In the worst case (which should never happen) just press and hold "menu" button, it should get you back to the root menu.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #45
surquizu
Evangelist

got the file .noscan !! Thanks!

I'll try the hack again