Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
SCOTTMD43
SCOTTMD43 began at the beginning.

Device: LG G STYLO (BOOST MOBILE)
New pdf book covers won't show up when transferred to phone?

The new book covers show up on Calibre Companion but when I try to add them to my ebook reader the new covers and metadata only show up on the epub files. The pdf files either don't show a cover at all or it shows the old cover and metadata depending on the ebook reader.

I've been trying for 5 days now to get my new metadata and covers from Calibre from my computer to my phone and I've tried everything and nothing is working. I'm on the verge of an anxiety attack because something so simple shouldn't be this hard. Please don't tell me to try a different ebook reader because I've tried literally all of them. I've also tried all the ways possible of transferring the books from my computer to my phone and ran into a different problem every time.

Converting the pdfs to epub on Calibre makes the books look like trash and on some ebook readers they won't even open or it just freezes the app. So, converting isn't an option. Using the save to disk option and copying them via usb doesn't transfer the new metadata either.

Again, on Calibre Companion all the metadata and covers are correct but when I add the books to any ebook reader it shows the old metadata/covers for pdf files. Or it just shows no cover at all.

Last edited by SCOTTMD43; 05-03-2016 at 11:39 AM.
SCOTTMD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unfortunately, this is complicated and completely out of CC's control. The reader apps are getting the metadata from inside the book. The only way for the app to see the right metadata is to store that metadata into the book. That is calibre's job. You need to do the right magic.

For PDFs, there are three ways to get metadata into the book: exporting the book using calibre's send-to-device (CC's wireless device connection), exporting the book using calibre's save-to-disk function, and using calibre's "embed metadata" function. If you use CC's cloud connection or content server connection then the only choice is the last one, embed metadata, before transferring the book to CC.

Once the metadata is inside the book file and that book file is on your device then it is up to the reader app to extract it. I never use PDF so I cannot say which reader apps do the job and which do not.

This thread has some information on embed metadata.

Note that you might need to customize calibre (Preferences / Toolbars) to make the embed metadata command available.

If you have questions or problems with the embed metadata command, ask on the calibre forum. I never use it, so I can't be of much help.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
SCOTTMD43
SCOTTMD43 began at the beginning.

Device: LG G STYLO (BOOST MOBILE)
Thank you, I really appreciate it.
SCOTTMD43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, ebook, metadata, pdf and calibre, problem