Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What a splendid idea! My email has just gone off - thank you.

I wonder if it could be streamlined: a tablet instead of paper and scanning, and a little script to swap in the new signed page to the ePub source, and then zip up a new copy and generate the Mobipocket using KindleGen.

It wouldn't help with writer's cramp from all the signing, but it would speed the process up otherwise. Hmm... it could even send the email automatically.

And then there's ebook readers that have touch sensitive screens.... I wonder who'll be the first to add a way for authors to sign ebooks on an ebook reader?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #47
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Here's mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signed2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	55045  
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 AM   #48
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
My dedication... I love it!

M.D.B, I've posted this on Facebook, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120720109411.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	55044  
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #49
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for showing your signed copies, banjobama and cbell.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
David,

This seems to be going splendidly.

I'm curious to know how many you have signed so far... if you don't want to say I understand.

We need boing boing or /. or someone big to pick up this story so other authors can learn how to engage with their fans.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #51
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I love my dedication, David, you did not have to write in Spanish... I would be so happy with a dedication in english, but it is in my own language, and it means a lot for a non-english speaker.

Thank you again
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #52
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Poppa1956, banjobama and cbell, those photos look great! Would any of you be willing for me to add them to a gallery on my Facebook author page?

For others who post photos of their dedication/eBook-reader combo, if you are willing for those to be re-posted, please let me know. (I won't post anyone's image unless they specifically give me permission.)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I wonder if it could be streamlined: a tablet instead of paper and scanning, and a little script to swap in the new signed page to the ePub source, and then zip up a new copy and generate the Mobipocket using KindleGen.

It wouldn't help with writer's cramp from all the signing, but it would speed the process up otherwise. Hmm... it could even send the email automatically.

And then there's ebook readers that have touch sensitive screens.... I wonder who'll be the first to add a way for authors to sign ebooks on an ebook reader?
Seriously, I have thought about the feasibility of creating an iPad app to do this very thing... but I'd need an iPad, first. It would probably require some special compiles for the A4 processor, and making sure all the software licenses are compatible, if using third-party code.

If anyone wants to have a serious go at programming it (and especially if they want to buy me the iPad for extensive hands-on testing! ), I'd be happy to work with them, provided they are willing to make the solution freely available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious to know how many you have signed so far... if you don't want to say I understand.
I'd rather not give the exact number, because there have been some "special" numbers in there as well, and that throws off the count. Suffice it to say, this is going very well... and any writer willing to dedicate a few days to connecting with the people who read their stories is urged to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We need boing boing or /. or someone big to pick up this story so other authors can learn how to engage with their fans.
Feel free to submit the story to either—or both!—of them. (I think it would be cheating for me to send the suggestion myself, so I'll leave that for anyone else who is willing to do so. Good idea, though!)

Here are their submission links, if anyone wants to try:

Boing Boing : http://www.boingboing.net/suggest.html

/. (aka "Slashdot") : http://slashdot.org/submission

Even though I have only scheduled dedicated signing time through Wednesday evening, anyone who receives these eBooks and enjoys the idea is encouraged to share the file, and tell their friends, or blog about it. I will keep signing, as time allows.

There is even a small blurb on the title page that says this (I've disabled the link in this post, but it is active in your EPUB and MOBI files):
If a friend sent you this eBook, and you enjoy it enough to want your own, hand-signed copy, simply contact the author via this link to send a request. Requests are processed in the order received, and the response may not be instantaneous, because the author might be working on a new story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
I love my dedication, David, you did not have to write in Spanish... I would be so happy with a dedication in english, but it is in my own language, and it means a lot for a non-english speaker.
It was a pleasure, Anabelee. I don't know how to speak a word of Spanish... but Google Language Tools is very useful! (Anyone else who tries this: You have be very sure to test the output in both directions, to make sure it means the same thing you intended after a re-translation.)

- M.D.B.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #53
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I got my book this morning (I didn't check email yesterday) I'll be reading it tonight!! And I'll be looking forward to Stupefying Stories as well.

thanks M David!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Feel free to submit the story to either—or both!—of them. (I think it would be cheating for me to send the suggestion myself, so I'll leave that for anyone else who is willing to do so. Good idea, though!)

Ok... submitted to both. I also tweeted it and requested retweets.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #55
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
I got mine this morning. This is so cool, my first ever book signing event. I can't wait to get started reading it.

Thank you again.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #56
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have sent my request. I think this is a great idea.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #57
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Poppa1956, banjobama and cbell, those photos look great! Would any of you be willing for me to add them to a gallery on my Facebook author page?
I'm very happy to have my photo on your Facebook page. I've emailed you the Facebook link to it, rather than help myself to your wall
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #58
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I'm very happy to have my photo on your Facebook page. I've emailed you the Facebook link to it, rather than help myself to your wall
I don't have scruples about hogging your wall, but I can't figure out how to add the picture!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #59
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I don't have scruples about hogging your wall, but I can't figure out how to add the picture!
Thank you both! It may be easier for me to just add the photos to the gallery, and tag you as the recipients. OK?

- M.D.B.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #60
cbell
Frenetic

OK, I'm happy to hog your wall or gallery, too

M.D.B., please feel free to use my photo in any way you wish!

Tags
plummet, signing event