Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre Library corrupt

Hi,
My very large calibre library consisting of 11 sub-libraries has been running for a very long time. Now it is corrupted twice within a couple of days. The first time I used the rebuild option which finished OK. Later that day I ran the database check and after the first run it was great. The second run (authors/Title etc also ran OK with a few books to correct - nothing major.
Just an hour ago as I tried to load Calibre the attached message came up offering to rebuild the library but could strike problems or to create a new blank library (by this I assume that the 'corrupt' library is left in place).
At this stage I do not know which option to take. The rebuild may work but take forever before finding out and the second option I do not really want as I have a very large number of books in my library accumulated over many many years.
Any suggestions how I can recover my library. I usually back up my library regularly but Murphy's Law tells me I have not done this for a couple of weeks! I am current backing up what I have library by library.

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Possibilities:
Hard drive trying to fail, CPUor case fan going bd (or just clogged fins), failing power supply
Anti Virus is interfering
You have the library folder on an ACTIVE cloud NAS sync
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre corrupt library

Thanks TheDucks,
This is on a 1Tb USB drive and has been no problem up until now. I will run checks on the drive which is running Calibre Portable (latest version) on the 1Tb drive plugged into a laptop. The laptop is only a few months old (HP).
Cloud NAS sync does not apply.

A strange problem I have now in trying to backup my whole Calibre library. I have copied all sub libraries and settings - everything except the main Calibre book library. I have tried Windows Explorer copy and Xplorer2 program and neither will copy the main library!
Any ideas?

Cheers
mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try checking the Windows event log for hardware error messages

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
I have tried Windows Explorer copy and Xplorer2 program and neither will copy the main library!
Do they give any indication as to why they won't copy the main library folder, such as - Access denied, Permission error, Folder is locked by another process ... etc.

Try unlocking the folder with Unlocker or something similar, you might have to reboot for it to take effect

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-24-2018 at 09:31 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert