Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Mr.Abiff
Mr.Abiff began at the beginning.

Device: PC and iPad2
I updated to v3.19, rebooted, Can't find Library

I have used Calibre for over two years and had no problems, but I just ran the update msi for v.3.19, rebooted the computer and cannot find the Library. If you can offer any suggestions, it would be appreciated greatly!

This is running on a PC's SSD drive, Win7 Ultimate (current updates) and Norton Security. I've had no significant problems other than Windows Explorer crashes occasionally. That is more of an annoyance than a problem (Microsoft "feature" ?) and I just restart the Win Explorer, after which it seems to work fine.

At the time of updating Calibre, I was running Beyond Compare on two other drives in the computer but that had no reference to the C: drive where Calibre resides. I ran the msi update file and afterwords rebooted the computer but when I went to add another title to the large Library, the only thing that showed was a blank screen. The title addition went fine but it was the only title that was displayed.

I searched the drive and the stated location of the Library (C:\Users\UserName\Calibre Calibre) was completely empty - not even the new entry showed. I then checked the Recycle Bin but that was empty also. Next, I searched for "metadata.db" over the entire disk but nothing was found by that name. I figured that if the Library had been moved, at least the metadata file would show up on a search. No joy there.

Yes, I know that I had ignored what I tell everyone else to do "backup backup backup" but that doesn't help at this point. I had updated Calibre many times over the past two years and never experienced anything like this. PLEASE, I really love Calibre and I'm not complaining - just trying to discover what happened so that I might avoid it in the future. I'm asking all you wise folks here for advice because I wouldn't want this to happen to others either.

So any suggestions you could offer will be greatly appreciated!
sincerely, Mr. Abiff
Mr.Abiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sure, you look for the correct library path? Default library path is "Calibre Library" and "Calibre Calibre" as library location sounds for me a bit strange. (only a guess in the blue sky)

As fare as I know in 10 year usage of calibre there is no way in calibre for loosing a complete library including all sub folders during an installation. You can maybe mess up the metadata.db but never the library itself. The metadata.db can be rebuild easily if needed (as soon as you find your library)

The next question will be something like this: Had you already check/search for a known single book or book file extensions like *.epub, *.azw3 ...? Check as well your AV log. It happen these days more often that a AV is blocking the access to parts of calibre.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Abiff View Post
I searched the drive and the stated location of the Library (C:\Users\UserName\Calibre Calibre) was completely empty - not even the new entry showed. I then checked the Recycle Bin but that was empty also. Next, I searched for "metadata.db" over the entire disk but nothing was found by that name. I figured that if the Library had been moved, at least the metadata file would show up on a search. No joy there.
If you searched the entire C drive and did not find a metadata.db file then your library resides on a different drive. We know for a fact that 1 metadata.db exists somewhere because you opened up calibre and added a single book. This 1 book library obviously does not reside on the C: drive.

Do as Divingduck suggests and search all drives for the actual books.*.epub, *.azw3 or *.pdf and see where the actual library resides.

Quote:
At the time of updating Calibre, I was running Beyond Compare on two other drives in the computer but that had no reference to the C: drive where Calibre resides.
From what you say above it seems that only the calibre program resides on the C: drive. The actual library resides elsewhere or the metadata.db file for the 1 book library would have shown up on your search of the C: drive. It is possible you sync'd your library out of existence, but we won't know that until you do a search for your books. Does Beyond Compare have some sort of undo feature?

Quote:
Yes, I know that I had ignored what I tell everyone else to do "backup backup backup" but that doesn't help at this point. I had updated Calibre many times over the past two years and never experienced anything like this.
Unfortunately calibre update didn't do this to your library. The metadata.db file is what holds all of the information you see in calibre. If this file disappears or gets corrupted in makes it look as if your library has disappeared. If you can find the folder structure of the library with the books inside the folders then you can restore your metadata.db file. Let us know if you find the actual books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
I had a different error but my Calibre died after updating to 3.19 also? I could still find the library but I think it said it was very corrupted. I had a full-on crash and really couldn't recover, so I installed 3.17, added all my books back in, and then fixed all the missing info like custom columns.

I had an issue with an update a while ago too, maybe 3.07 or something around there.

Edit: the timing may have been a coincidence, idk.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote