Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Selling Kobo Mini questions

Hello! I’ve just given my daughter a KA1 for Christmas, which leaves an extra Kobo Mini kicking around. I want to list it on eBay, but before I do, are there any extra things I can do to make it get top dollar for such an old device? I’ve reset it to factory defaults. Can I upgrade its software through side loading without going through the setup process? Anything in particular people are looking for?

It’s a Kobo Mini with a ruby snap back. The gray SnapBack is somewhere in storage, as is the original box. I know those would have helped. No charging brick or USB cable. If this was an iPhone, it’d fetch bottom dollar. But it works wonderfully, and the battery still keeps a charge. What do you think?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Hello! I’ve just given my daughter a KA1 for Christmas, which leaves an extra Kobo Mini kicking around. I want to list it on eBay, but before I do, are there any extra things I can do to make it get top dollar for such an old device? I’ve reset it to factory defaults. Can I upgrade its software through side loading without going through the setup process? Anything in particular people are looking for?

It’s a Kobo Mini with a ruby snap back. The gray SnapBack is somewhere in storage, as is the original box. I know those would have helped. No charging brick or USB cable. If this was an iPhone, it’d fetch bottom dollar. But it works wonderfully, and the battery still keeps a charge. What do you think?
List it in the flea market here.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

I'd say leave it at factory default. If you sideload newer firmware and anything goes wrong, the seller will blame you regardless of reality.

What would help you fetch top dollar is pictures and lots of them. And the box, etc. But if it's gone, it's gone.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What would help you fetch top dollar is pictures and lots of them. And the box, etc. But if it's gone, it's gone.
Agreed. Pictures are the key. And a good description. Right now, on eBay, there are two (total) listings for Kobo Minis. One seller has two new ones he's trying to sell for $189 each and the other listing is for one that looks like it's been through a war, its total price (with shipping) is about $66 (from England). So I'm guessing this would be a good time to list the Mini, especially if it's in pretty good condition.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
List it in the flea market here.
I looked around first before posting, but I was on mobile. Didn't see it. I'll look again. Thanks.
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd say leave it at factory default. If you sideload newer firmware and anything goes wrong, the seller will blame you regardless of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Agreed. Pictures are the key. And a good description. Right now, on eBay, there are two (total) listings for Kobo Minis. One seller has two new ones he's trying to sell for $189 each and the other listing is for one that looks like it's been through a war, its total price (with shipping) is about $66 (from England). So I'm guessing this would be a good time to list the Mini, especially if it's in pretty good condition.
I'll definitely provide pictures. I always do. I'm surprised so many auctions complete on eBay just with the default pic. I wouldn't trust an auction like that.

So no box and cables, which I know hurts things. I wouldn't even know where to begin to find them. Also, I erred on the side of caution regarding firmware upgrades, but wondered if maybe Minis worked like iPhones. People pay a bigger premium for jailbroken iPhones.

Okeh, great! I'll find the flea market here and try it out. $189 is an awesome price, but it's not a realistic one. Unless there's a collectable aspect to the Minis now. Anyways, thanks everyone for your feedback!!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The one thing I am surprised at is people buying a Kindle on eBay given how many of them are blacklisted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The one thing I am surprised at is people buying a Kindle on eBay given how many of them are blacklisted.
Of the thirty or forty Kindles I've bought via eBay, Craigslist, pawn shops and (now) Shop Goodwill, I've had exactly one that was blacklisted – and it came from a pawn shop. That one went to my Dad (after I called Amazon and tried to return it to them and was told "take it back to the pawn shop..."?) – my Dad won't use WiFi anyhow, so it was perfect for him.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I got a blacklisted Kindle PW3 and wanted registration. No problem getting a full refund from the seller.

I paid circa $60 for my Kobo Mini on ebay last year and it was a NIB one so I felt that was semi reasonable. Very good battery. Just got the original clip-in case for it too which seems to be a scarce item. Original cases seem to be scarce for the Sony PRS-350 too.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Original cases seem to be scarce for the Sony PRS-350 too.
Yep. I've been looking for one also.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I went ahead and listed it on eBay. I threw in the Kobo Clip Light with it. We'll see how it does. The auction is timed to begin at 9am PST. Thanks for your tips! https://www.ebay.com/itm/173158946404

Tags
kobo, kobo mini, selling proposition