Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #31
Uguptu
Enthusiast
Uguptu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST GL, Onyx Prometheus 2
Great news
However the absence of SD slot made me thinking. I own one of M96 devices that was distributed in Russia (Prometheus 2). It does have SD and has a terrible problem with it. As soon as I loaded my lirary (~29GB) on it, it started checking the card every time it's turned on or every time it's disconnected to the PC, so it takes >3 min to turn on and lots of shamanic clicks to make it work after its disconnection from the PC. I've had a long discussion with the support on a local forum (very nice and patient guys there, I must say) and they told me that it always happens on M96 if the SD has a lot of files.
So finally to my question: does Note lack SD because it has the same problem?
Uguptu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #32
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uguptu View Post
So finally to my question: does Note lack SD because it has the same problem?
SD-card removed from Max2 too ...

on your device, maybe, you could have an option to don't load the files's metadata. If this option is 'enable', this could be explain the long access to the SD-card. This situation exit on the old M92, I don't know if it could be exist on newer models.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Is there a description or even a review of the software somewhere to be found?
I had a Boox 60 once and the software was terrible in terms of handling as well as stability. How much has Onyx improved in this regard? For example, will highlights be properly matched between reflow and original and cropped page in PDF mode? Is it possible to just draw highlights across multiple words or do we still have to select a single word and then draw extenders across the section we want to highlight? Is it possible to highlight across pages, especially when reading ePub? How do highlights and notes to highlights export? Is it possible with the system software?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #34
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have built a wiki page for this product: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Onyx_Boox_Note
I notice that the MaxCarta and Max2 are not there?

EDIT:
-- the MaxCarta should be a Max with updated screen (2200x1650 dots), I am not sure if anything else changed, but
-- the Max2 is a completely different product (RK3288 vs i.MX 6SoloLite, Android 6 vs Android 4, no expansion vs SD-Card, HDMI vs no video-in, touchscreen vs pen only, 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM ...) and it should have its own page.

Last edited by mdp; 01-15-2018 at 10:31 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #35
Uguptu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
on your device, maybe, you could have an option to don't load the files's metadata.
Hmm. Thanks for the idea. But where is this option? I haven't seen it on my device.
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I notice that the MaxCarta and Max2 are not there?

EDIT:
-- the MaxCarta should be a Max with updated screen (2200x1650 dots), I am not sure if anything else changed, but
-- the Max2 is a completely different product (RK3288 vs i.MX 6SoloLite, Android 6 vs Android 4, no expansion vs SD-Card, HDMI vs no video-in, touchscreen vs pen only, 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM ...) and it should have its own page.
I believe that Onyx reserves the word Max for the huge 13.3 screen. This is only a 10.3 inch screen and the term Carta is in the specs on the wiki page. Carta is the latest technology from E Ink and combined with Mobius it nice to see it moved toward the smaller screens. The screen resolution is the same as the competitor Remarkable device.

The information in the wiki is from the Onyx site referenced. The site does not mention it but I believe is uses Adobe DRM which is also in all the Onyx machines.

Edit: The BOOX Max 13.3 is certainly in the wiki as is the BOOX MAX2 Pro.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #37
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is only a 10.3 inch screen
Certainly, I posted here only to reply to your "Wiki updated" post (which happened to be here).

Quote:
Edit: The BOOX Max 13.3 is certainly in the wiki as is the BOOX MAX2 Pro.
Good! I could not find them both.
The reason/point is that a link is missing at
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Onyx
where the 'BOOX Max 13.3' page is linked but not the 'BOOX MAX2 Pro'.

(Could you please add it? I would do it myself, but I am not sure about the order in the list - I do not know why "Onyx Boox N96 ML, Onyx Boox N96 CML" is the last but one...)

Last edited by mdp; 01-15-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #38
shajarat
shajarat began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch withglowlight+Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uguptu View Post
Hmm. Thanks for the idea. But where is this option? I haven't seen it on my device.
go to settings/systems/user setting
shajarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #39
Uguptu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajarat View Post
go to settings/systems/user setting
Seems like I don't have it. I have "display book name instead of a file name", and it is disabled.

Anyway, I don't want to steal the topic Does anyone know if Note has the same issue?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Certainly, I posted here only to reply to your "Wiki updated" post (which happened to be here).

Good! I could not find them both.
The reason/point is that a link is missing at
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Onyx
where the 'BOOX Max 13.3' page is linked but not the 'BOOX MAX2 Pro'.

(Could you please add it? I would do it myself, but I am not sure about the order in the list - I do not know why "Onyx Boox N96 ML, Onyx Boox N96 CML" is the last but one...)
Sure, it was just an oversight that it wasn't already there. The order is basically just somewhat chronological but no research was made so it could be improved.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #41
LittleHouse75
LittleHouse75 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Any word on the Note *PRO*?

Any word on the Note *PRO*?

This version uses the same 10.3 form factor as the Note, but also includes HDMI in:

See references here:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...-amazon-video/

..and here as described in the video by an Onyx employee:
https://youtu.be/KEdwlrxnvAg

I'd hate to buy the regular Note, and then have this one come out soon after...
LittleHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #42
Akbar
Enthusiast
Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Galaxy tab s3
I think Boox Note will give reMarkable a run for its money. Not ony it has better specs but also an OS which supports wide collection of note-taking and reading apps.
Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #43
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar View Post
I think Boox Note will give reMarkable a run for its money. Not ony it has better specs but also an OS which supports wide collection of note-taking and reading apps.
However, remarkable seem to at least be aware that improvements are made on the software level because usability is what makes a device recommendable.
Onyx‘s software support has always been flakey yet their software is always full of bugs and usability flaws and omissions that makes their readers hard to recommend to anyone but the most tech savvy.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #44
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Onyx‘s software support has always been flakey yet their software is always full of bugs and usability flaws and omissions that makes their readers hard to recommend to anyone but the most tech savvy.
I see that many people are commending the Onyx apps distributed with the Max2.

This said, I do not think that installing software on Android devices requires technical talent.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #45
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
However, remarkable seem to at least be aware that improvements are made on the software level because usability is what makes a device recommendable.
I understand that there were significant issues with the Max when it first came out. However, there have been a couple of updates since then and firmware version 1.8.2 is working fine for me.

Are there occasional glitches and things which could be improved upon? Of course. But the same goes for my Kobo devices.

While the ReMarkable device excels in terms of its sketching capabilities, it seems to lag in many other areas such as in the reading experience and the transfer of files. It seems that their stylus nibs also tend to wear somewhat quickly. That would worry me somewhat.

I imagine that the folks at ReMarkable will continue to roll out updates improving the user experience just as I believe that Onyx will do the same. I hope that ReMarkable will remain a viable product forcing Onyx and others to remain on their toes and to keep updating and innovating.

However, at the moment, the Onyx Note seems like a much more versatile device. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed when mine eventually arrives. The clock is ticking.

Last edited by Question Mark; 02-04-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote