Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Screen freeze for no good reason?!

Hi all

Still loving my Cybook but the last week I've had to reset a number of times and each of those times I wasnt convinced a reset would work, had to press the reset thingy more than once and then fiddle with the power button to get it back to 'normal'

I have no idea what's going on so firstly I'd like to know if this has happened/is happening to anyone else and secondly if I should send an email to Bookeen about it ? .. The first time I had almost convinced myself it was totally broken and would need a new one and then the 'reset' worked!

I have treated my Cybook just as well as usual this week .. like a precious baby!! .. there have been no changes in my 'routine' with it at all ..

thanks

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
My sympathies. I can't help you -- I've had a few freezes but the reset has worked every time, immediately. Sounds like more than a few, for you -- I'd try contacting Bookeen. Good luck! Lelah
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
Still loving my Cybook but the last week I've had to reset a number of times and each of those times I wasnt convinced a reset would work, had to press the reset thingy more than once and then fiddle with the power button to get it back to 'normal'
How do you know you have to press reset? How do you know the reset does not work?

When I have needed it, it was because the reader was stuck with the green LED on, pressing reset turned the LED off, then the on/off button started the usual initialization sequence.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Had a repeating problem a little like yours. I had to do a reset every few reads. I emailed Bookeen and eventually got the reply to reflash the Cybook.

I did not do this because for some reason the problem ceased.

I think it might be to do with how long one holds the power button on for. I release it as soon as the green light comes on. That might just be superstition, though.

Do email Bookeen as the more reports they get the more they have to take this as a real issue and themselves explore it.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Now, my screen froze on powerup. What i had done was let the Cybook auto turn off and then the problem arose when I powered on again. I'll retry that and report.
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How do you know you have to press reset? How do you know the reset does not work?

When I have needed it, it was because the reader was stuck with the green LED on, pressing reset turned the LED off, then the on/off button started the usual initialization sequence.
I knew I needed to press 'reset' because in the middle of reading everything just froze and was unresponsive. Having pressed 'reset' and then the power button it was still frozen. I repeated the process about 3 or 4 times and eventually it powered on and behaved itself! It has happened a few times in the past week and in the middle of an exciting novel it's sooooo frustrating! lol

Loopy
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Loopy65
Groupie

thanks for the replies everyone .. I have emailed Bookeen and will post a response when I get one. (yes, the cynical bit of me is saying 'if' rather than 'when'!!)

Loopy
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Loopy65
Groupie

just a quick update .. bookeen suggested a reflash .. the problem hasn't happened again yet so I haven't had to do it .. it may have just been one of those things .. I ran the battery down to 30% which I hadnt done before and haven't done since ..

Loopy
Old 08-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
peterbbb
BoyReader

Do run the battery flat and then charge it fully. Let that happen three times (just reading to let the battery sort itself out, response to someone who wants you to do some work and not read...). That seems to sort the thing out.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
I have also had quite a few lockups, it started since I upgraded the firmware to the version they have released so far.

It is sad that it is so buggy.
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
I have also had quite a few lockups, it started since I upgraded the firmware to the version they have released so far.

It is sad that it is so buggy.
Up until now (1.5 weeks ) I see no reason to upgrade my CyBook from the version it came with (1.0 build 681) to 708. I have no battery issue as far as I can see. I only charged my CyBook once (at arrival), I am reading 3 hours a day (with quite some dictionary lookup because I want to test the dictionary I bought) and my CyBook is still 40% charged at the moment.

No update for me until they come with something really useful
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I woud suggest that you charge it, Erwin. The battery meter is EXTREMELY unreliable until the battery has "cycled" a few times, and a reading of 40% probably means "almost flat". You don't want to let it run out of power - that can corrupt the internal memory and cause problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I woud suggest that you charge it, Erwin. The battery meter is EXTREMELY unreliable until the battery has "cycled" a few times, and a reading of 40% probably means "almost flat". You don't want to let it run out of power - that can corrupt the internal memory and cause problems.
Harry,

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to charge it tonight. I agree with you (after substantial reading here on this forum) that most problems with the CyBook probably occur because of memory corruption during writing without sufficient power.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
nightingale
nightingale began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Gen 3
Not to appear dense....I am a new user---what is a reflash and how do you do it?
nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #15
ErwinOtten
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightingale View Post
Not to appear dense....I am a new user---what is a reflash and how do you do it?
Okay, back to basics

Your device (the cybook) has two kinds of memory, RAM-memory and ROM-memory. RAM means random access memory and it is the 512MB memory of your device where the books are stored. ROM means read only memory and you can't access that part of your machine. It's the place where the operating system (Linux) and the programs are stored (with programs I mean your PDF-reader, Mobi-pocket reader, picture-viewer etc).
In the old days this kind of memory was really read-only, but nowadays this kind of memory can be reflashed. This means that (following the right procedures) you are capable of updating your reader with a newer (better) operating system for-instance.
So reflashing is nothing else as updating your reader with the latest update-software you get from Bookeen. For further reading, see the sticky-thread about firmware 796, this is where you find the how do I do it part.

Maybe this answer is a bit too elaborated for you (though I cut some corners here and there), but a little background knowledge never hurt anyone