Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
mroni
mroni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Force kobo to always open English dictionary?

Originally, problem started with Articles from pocket. Whenever I send an article, open it on kobo and highlight word to see translation, it shows "You don't have English dictionary installed". If I then change dictionary to any other, remove highlight and highlight the word again and change dictionary back to English, it works correctly and shows translation - from now on for any other words as well, without need to highlight the word twice or changing dictionaries. I did some testing with books, and it seems kobo always tries to select dictionary based on book language - so it works correctly when I set english in Calibre, but shows "You don't have <language> dictionary installed" for other languages.

The question is, can you set it so that it always open English dictionary first time you check the word? For books it's not much of a problem, but if you have many small articles, having to higlight the first word twice in every article is bit tedious.

Kobo Aura H2O, Soft: 4.12
mroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
DELETE ALL other Dictionary from the Kobo.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
mroni
mroni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Okay, so I played bit more with it, and turns out, changing CurrentLocale in eReader.conf messed dictionares a bit. What I described above happened when I had it changed to pl_PL. When it's set to en_US, it works as supposed - it shows English dictionary when you don't have on in book's language, and the "You don't have..." line doesn't show up at all.

Last edited by mroni; 02-18-2019 at 07:16 PM.
mroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroni View Post
Okay, so I played bit more with it, and turns out, changing CurrentLocale in eReader.conf messed dictionares a bit. What I described above happened when I had it changed to pl_PL. When it's set to en_US, it works as supposed - it shows English dictionary when you don't have on in book's language, and the "You don't have..." line doesn't show up at all.
That sounds right. For the dictionary language, it should use a combination of the book language and the UI language. If they are the same, it should show the dictionary for that language. If they are different, it should show the translation dictionary. And if the book doesn't say, it should use the UI language. But, this will probably only work properly for the supported languages.

I don't know what would happen if you defined the "ExtraLocales". This is a way to add extra interface languages and a few have been posted. I don't know how this affects the dictionary usage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know what would happen if you defined the "ExtraLocales". This is a way to add extra interface languages and a few have been posted. I don't know how this affects the dictionary usage.
If the language of the book matches, and the language specified in ExtraLocales, then the 1st one will show the dictionary in that language.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert