Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Pocket silliness: why aren't all my articles local?

Many's the time I've been on the bus and have tried to read a Pocket article on my Glo, only to have it time out trying to connect to the Internet and download it.

This strikes me as silly. Isn't the whole point of Pocket that you don't have to be online to read something?

Does anyone know of a way I can force my Glo to download all my undownloaded Pocket articles when I sync? I have looked at the Pocket settings both on my Glo and in my account online.

Thanks!
rwhe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Many's the time I've been on the bus and have tried to read a Pocket article on my Glo, only to have it time out trying to connect to the Internet and download it.

This strikes me as silly. Isn't the whole point of Pocket that you don't have to be online to read something?

Does anyone know of a way I can force my Glo to download all my undownloaded Pocket articles when I sync? I have looked at the Pocket settings both on my Glo and in my account online.

Thanks!
Is it possible your settings in the library are set not to show the pocket articles? Any new pocket article is downloaded to your device, and you should definitely be able to read it offline (I do on my Mini - 3.1.1 is not for the Mini, but it works well nonetheless).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, paola. I only see two relevant settings under Library:

* Downloaded Pocket articles (lists items and size, gives option to Remove All)

* Remove Pocket articles from this eReader when you archive them (currently On)

Neither of these seem relevant. Can you be more specific, please?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that kobo's Pocket integration only handles what Pocket has classified as articles.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
rwhe
Hierodule

Thanks, Peter, but I'm not trying to download videos. Some articles never even make it onto my Kobo (for example, some wiki pages). I'm fine with that -- I guess these are not "articles".

The ones I'm talking about will download if I have Internet access, and then I can read them -- but if I don't have access, I can't.
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to go to the Pocket web site http://getpocket.com/a/queue/list/ and click on the dropdown besides the second icon at the top; the nested pages. Once there, filter by Articles to see what Pocket HAS classified as Articles.

Only those should be synced.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You have to go to the Pocket web site http://getpocket.com/a/queue/list/ and click on the dropdown besides the second icon at the top; the nested pages. Once there, filter by Articles to see what Pocket HAS classified as Articles.

Only those should be synced.
OK, done. I see some pages that are classified as Articles but aren't downloading, such as http://getpocket.com/a/read/478426447.

I want to make clear that this article shows up on my Kobo, but I can't read it unless I download it first.

Last edited by rwhe; 01-16-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

That link is useless to the rest of us. Maybe share the page that you saved to Pokcet so someone else can see what happens
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
rwhe
Hierodule

OK. I don't see why Pocket shouldn't set up their service as a URL shortener as well, but apparently they didn't. Anyway, here's the original:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...omized-trials/
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I've added that article, checked the format on the web site, synced to my Glo using 3.1.1, disabled WiFi and have no issues reading it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Pocket articles should be downloaded when you do a sync. They will download during the automatic sync or when you do it manually. I just tried with that article and it did work.

But, it seems the "Download All" option in the Pocket menu doesn't work. When I selected that, nothing was downloaded. But, changing the "Section" or the sort did download the new articles.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
rwhe
Hierodule

Great data, guys! I will try when I get home tonight, and then report. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
rwhe
Hierodule

I selected the "Download All" option in the Pocket menu. I didn't even know it was there. It did work for me; my Glo immediately downloaded 69 articles.

I'm left asking: but why? Aren't these articles supposed to be downloaded when you sync? Why are some downloaded, but some not?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The download all default is 50 articles, if you want everything that's possible to download you need to make sure the 'only show downloaded items' is not checked, and then do 'download all'.

When I did that over 300 articles downloaded to my kobo. From now on everything new downloads when it syncs.

You can select 'only show downloaded items' again after the initial sync.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
rwhe
Hierodule

Thanks, Josieb1. Where is one supposed to find this stuff out?

Tags
download, internet, pocket