Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
is it possible to mark a book as finished in Calibre?

I apologise if this has been discussed already but I searched and couldn't find it. Is it possible to mark a book in Calibre as 'read' and then update the metadata on the device?
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
I apologise if this has been discussed already but I searched and couldn't find it. Is it possible to mark a book in Calibre as 'read' and then update the metadata on the device?
There has been a lot of discussion here about to storing reading status in calibre, with several methods suggested. But, as you have a Kobo device, you should look at my Kobo Utilities plugin. This has methods to fetch the reading status from the device, store it in the library and send the status to the device. As well as a lot of other things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Thank you David. I shall look at your plugin.
However I don't want to store the reading status from the device in the Calibre library since all the books in my Kobo are marked 'unread' after I re-uploaded the lot.
I am looking for a way to mark books in the Calibre library as finished and then send this updated metadata to the device. Well I will search again for the methods you mentioned.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Create a yes/no column entitled "Read" in your Calibre library. Works very nicely. Paul was the one who suggested it to me originally and it wasn't that hard to do.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
Thank you David. I shall look at your plugin.
However I don't want to store the reading status from the device in the Calibre library since all the books in my Kobo are marked 'unread' after I re-uploaded the lot.
I am looking for a way to mark books in the Calibre library as finished and then send this updated metadata to the device. Well I will search again for the methods you mentioned.
As I said, the plugin goes both ways. When you fetch the status, it uses a "Percent read" field. That copies the value from the device. If the book is finished, this gets set 100. If you send the status to the device, if the percent read is 100, the book is marked as read. You can set this manually in calibre and then send the status.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:00 AM   #6
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can set this manually in calibre and then send the status.
Hi David, this is exactly what I am after. If i can do this by creating a Yes/No column as suggested by Tarana than I am okay. If I should do it otherwise, please tell me.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Odyssee - read the plugin thread first post for a summary ==>> Kobo Utilities

And there's a comprehensive manual (EPUB) that explains all anyone could ever want about the plugin. It's attached to the first post.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Thanks BetterRed, that was helpful! I can manage now.