Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Burgess Meredith
Burgess Meredith began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Quoll Writer?

Has anyone tried Quoll Writer? I am beginning work on an EPUB, and
am wondering if it might be a good idea to start it with Quoll writer (open
sourced) or Libre Office with epub plug in, then Sigil then Calibre.

Could anyone supply advice?
Burgess Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I have not tried Quoll Writer, but it sounds interesting. When my work life returns to sanity I will probably take a closer look.

Now, the real question is whether you are working on an epub or a book?

You can write your book on anything that works for you. For narrative fiction, at least, choosing what works best for the writing process is much more important than worrying about publication issues (eg: generating an epub). For non-fiction there can be reason to think ahead to publication.

You will find some others here like Scrivener very much, and there is a very good Windows version of that available. It's not free, but it's not expensive and they give you a good trial period and an excellent tutorial.

I use LibreOffice with a (slightly customised) epub plug-in, the result of which I then clean up in Sigil.

There are a myriad of other choices. There is no need to ever get around to starting that book, you can spend the rest of your life evaluating the options for how you are going to write it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Burgess Meredith

Hi G.M. Thank you for the quick reply. Non-fiction Ebook creation is what I'm after. Scrivener looks interesting, but the Windows version looks a bit wonky.
They may have a new version out sometime this mid-year. It would be nice to
have the ability to create footnotes and links, as well as their Corkboard feature. Yes their trial period is generous so I think i'll try it! Thanks again
for the suggestion.

There are a myriad of other choices. There is no need to ever get around to starting that book, you can spend the rest of your life evaluating the options for how you are going to write it.

You're not kidding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Giant Cookbook Batmobile-300x225.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	164013  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Ah, I see. I do tend to assume narrative fiction unless the post specifies otherwise.

For non-fiction things can get ... interesting. Paper-only publication is not so bad, at least you have a fixed layout to target. Technically epub v3 supports a fixed layout variation but that isn't what most people want.

If you have complex layout requirements then, depending on your experience and tastes etc., you may want to learn about LaTeX. I don't have experience with it myself, but I do know there is a LibreOffice to LaTeX plugin here.

(The Writer2xhtml plugin on that link is the epub plugin that I use, but you will see there was a 3-year hiatus between releases that did cause some issues, and the "roadmap" says he's removing epub support in the future. He mentions that LibreOffice v6 comes with an epub filter but I haven't tried that one yet.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Burgess Meredith

Thanks for the info. Wow, there is one version of the above mentioned that is over 2GB! Not even OCR software is that heavy. What a labyrinth of choices.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I tried Quoll Writer based on the contents of this thread, and I like it very much. It's quite intuitive and based on the same basic hierarchical database model that practically all the Authoring Software titles, and most note taking software use. I also downloaded the equally free "WriteWay" and the free trial of Scrivener. I tried a couple of others too, but these three seemed the most useful to me.

Write Way and Scrivener both do more than Quoll Writer (but not by much), and I DO like how Scrivener's typewriter mode keeps the line on which I am working in the middle of the screen. Write Way seems to be a more direct work alike of Scrivener than Quoll Writer, but that is more of a similar skin issue since all three use essentially the same sort of engine, and the user 'skin', aside, do things pretty much the same way.

I think I'm going to settle on Quoll Writer. It's free, and appears to be currently and actively supported. I find it a tad bit more intuitive than Scrivener in spite of the interactive tutorial Scrivener offers.

The Scrivener binder area is packed with info, perhaps more info than I want or need. The Quoll Writer area that is equivalent to the Binder, is simpler, and offers less info as to the hierarchy of the data. But I realize that I don't care about that level of hierarchy so long as the data I want is offered up when I want it.

Writeway seems to be. . . Not abandonware, exactly, since the author seems proud of his creation and dedicated to keeping the promotional website functional. But he makes it very clear that Writeway is a dead project as far as he is concerned. I don't like the fact that there isn't an easy way to deal with locations. Which is important in my mind. (don't recall about Scrivener)

I'm pretty pleased with Quoll Writer overall, my 'authoring' efforts are far better organized and easier to deal with than when using just Microsoft Office; and am grateful to the OP for letting us know about it.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 09-15-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Confused Scrivener with Scribus - DUH!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, libre office, quoll writer, sigil