Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Android 4.4 for Kepler Pro?

The eReader online store (the one associated with Booxtor) is offering the Kepler Pro. In the description of the Kepler Pro, it is said that an upgrade to 4.4 "is possible". This line does not appear in the description of the C67ML Carta 2+.

Is Onyx doing an official upgrade to 4.4 for the Kepler Pro? Or will this be like one of the unofficial upgrades for other devices already on the eReader site?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The eReader online store (the one associated with Booxtor) is offering the Kepler Pro. In the description of the Kepler Pro, it is said that an upgrade to 4.4 "is possible". This line does not appear in the description of the C67ML Carta 2+.

Is Onyx doing an official upgrade to 4.4 for the Kepler Pro? Or will this be like one of the unofficial upgrades for other devices already on the eReader site?
Hi,

don't worry. Upgrade to 4.4 for Kepler is available too. I am just testing it before release. I am going to upload it within of the next 2-3 days
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

don't worry. Upgrade to 4.4 for Kepler is available too. I am just testing it before release. I am going to upload it within of the next 2-3 days
Thanks, Booxtor!

I don't currently have a Kepler Pro. However some of its specs are tempting (the 1GB of RAM, the 16GB of internal storage). If the K-Pro had 4.4 available, I'll probably order one. Main reason? One of the apps I would use on it (besides the reading apps) runs better on 4.4 than on 4.04 or 4.2.2. Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
zhxxcq
zhxxcq began at the beginning.

Device: boox kepler pro
Cool I have a kepler pro, and I can test this rom.thanks.

FYI.
If you have release this rom. can you notify me. And I will test it.thanks.
zhxxcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

Hopefully it functions better than 4.4 for the T68. My T68 is still laying dead on a shelf after installing it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
polemarkh
polemarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ml Carta2
Is there any news on the 4.4 upgrade for the Kepler?
polemarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard

I decided to finally bite and ordered a K-Pro from Booxtor's store. I live in the USA, and it arrived 48 hours after I placed my order! Impressive. Anyway, I emailed Booxtor's store to ask about the promised 4.4 upgrade. I'll pass along any answer I get.

So far, I like the K-Pro a lot. The only drawback I see is that Onyx went back to 4.0.4 for this device - odd, as the C67ML Carta has 4.2.2.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemarkh View Post
Is there any news on the 4.4 upgrade for the Kepler?
I had a message from the eReader Store that the upgrade should be posted in 2-3 weeks.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
I decided to finally bite and ordered a K-Pro from Booxtor's store.
I've googled and didn't get anything relevant -- link to the store please?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:42 AM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
I did the same but I didn't receive any relevant link to it.
I'm starting to suspect the Booxtor store is http://ereader-store.de/en/.

Just a heads up, BangGood seem to have Kepler Pro in stock for $208.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I'm starting to suspect the Booxtor store is http://ereader-store.de/en/.
You're right! I bought my Onyx Max from his store.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard

Yes, that is Booxtor's store. (I assumed that everyone here knew that!).

You could save a bit by ordering from Banggood. (I've done that before.) This time, however, it seemed better to support the store that might give me a 4.4 upgrade. Besides, I got my K-Pro in 48 hours. That's worth a few pennies right there.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
stangri
Addict

Quote:
This time, however, it seemed better to support the store that might give me a 4.4 upgrade.
Yeah, I was surprised to find out there's different update tracks for the vendor and the retailer. Does Booxtor install their own build of Android on Kepler (with different signatures I'd assume) which can only be updated with Booxtor's updates and the regular caught in the wild Keplers can't?

Quote:
Besides, I got my K-Pro in 48 hours. That's worth a few pennies right there.
Totally, sadly for your neighbours up north, faster delivery = courier services = outrages fees for "brokerage/customs clearance" (this is separate from the government duties/taxes) sometimes exceeding the value of goods.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, I was surprised to find out there's different update tracks for the vendor and the retailer. Does Booxtor install their own build of Android on Kepler (with different signatures I'd assume) which can only be updated with Booxtor's updates and the regular caught in the wild Keplers can't?

Totally, sadly for your neighbours up north, faster delivery = courier services = outrages fees for "brokerage/customs clearance" (this is separate from the government duties/taxes) sometimes exceeding the value of goods.
I don't know the answer to your first question. It's not clear from the eReader-store site. Is the update their own build, or is it a pre-release of a future Onyx update? (If you see this, Booxtor, feel free to answer!!) My best guess is that it's an in-house build, but I wouldn't bet a lot on that.

There are different Keplers running around in the wild (I've seen some, shall we say, 'interesting' discussions on that topic), but perhaps it is safe to say that all K-Pros are basically the same? The specs seem to be identical to the K-Pro that Banggood offers - though some vendors aren't careful with the specs they post.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of the very high brokerage fees that some folks (like you) have to pay for some imports. That really is outrageous.

Are you in Canada? I went to school in Ottawa, and at one time lived in Calais (right across from St. Stephen, NB) and in Fort Kent (along the northern border with NB). For folks in Maine, going to Canada is no biggie. It doesn't feel like a foreign country to us. Many of us have roots in Canada.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:41 AM   #15
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The simplified "updates" sequence (the distribution of the 'update.zip' files) works on single, specific branches of the firmware,
but you can switch firmware branch by re-flashing the device (and you of course have to match correct firmware and device - the firmware is re-compiled for each different device).
Check the page at Booxtor's shop site: you see that you have both the "update files" and the "MFG bundles".

Of course, especially for reverting, to flash different firmware branches you must have the images. The only ones I know are Booxtor's but there could be more.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote