Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
True italics typeface for PRS-500

A very annoying thing about the sony reader is the lact of true italics font. I really don't like the slanted roman font. I am wondering if there's any hack that can solve this problem. Can we use a ttc file instead of the three ttf files?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, the absence of a true italic is disturbing; regretfully, there is no simple easy answer to the problem.

Replacing the existing TTF files with Open Type TTC files will not work as there are not (as far as has been learned from the outside) the drivers in the Reader to utilize the additional information. Even existing hinting and kerning data seems to be ignored.

The two possible solutions to the problem both involve creating your own ebooks. The first one is to make PDF files sized for the Reader with embedded fonts. The files will be larger page turns slower than a PDF without embedded fonts.

The other way is to create a custom LRF through BookDesigner with embedded fonts. It too will be larger and have slower page turns than one that uses the default fonts.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful as I will now stop searching.

I tried the embedded lrf produced by libprs500 and it seemed that the page turn time was 2~3 times longer, which is hard to swallow.

On the other hand, the pdf with embedded font (the feedbook ones) seemed to be fine. I don't mind a larger size. The only issue is the lost of changeable font size. I think I'll live with it.

Thanks again... Oh btw, do you have any recommended font? I don't like the New Century Schoolbook font being used by feedbook. I am looking for something similar to Kindle's Caecilia font for its legibility on low dpi screen (166 is still smaller than 300 or 600, isn't it?). vista's Calibri looks great, but I still prefer a serif font.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
NCS is the easiest font to read and I have always liked a serif font over a sans-serif font for body text. I will have to look up Caecilia and get back to you.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My favourite font is "Georgia". That's what I use on my Gen3 as my default reading font. It has a very attractive italic version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm wondering if the XML to define the fonts was edited properly, could true italics be added? If someone wants to try this, I'll be happy to test it with eBook Library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie

This is purely personal preference. I agree that NCS/Geogia look great, but on paper. But for the e-ink screen at 166dpi/4-level grayscale, the hinting isn't very good. Part of the strokes are too slim for me. Therefore I am looking for some typefaces with smaller variance on the stroke width.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Is there any way to use these fonts with the Sony Reader without producing unacceptably long page turns? This would be great!
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
lovebeta
Groupie

You can use Igor's universal flasher to flash your own font and achieve native pageturn speed. Though it won't give you italic face.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
This is purely personal preference. I agree that NCS/Geogia look great, but on paper. But for the e-ink screen at 166dpi/4-level grayscale, the hinting isn't very good. Part of the strokes are too slim for me. Therefore I am looking for some typefaces with smaller variance on the stroke width.
If you don't mind spending money (or asking for the free educational version), you could take a look at Underware's Dolly. I've bought it some months ago and use it on my Cybook – of course I didn't buy it just to use it with my Cybook, but mainly for printing purposes.
Take a look at the PDF sample formatted for a 6" screen I've attached which uses Dolly.

Then again, if you don't mind spending some money you could buy Caecilia as well, since you already seem to like it ...

Have you tried Vista's Constantia? It doesn't look half bad even in low resolutions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dolly-Sample_Book.pdf (53.0 KB, 589 views)
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
You can hack the fonts actually. I hacked them with Sylfaen, High Tower Text Italic and one other fonts. I usually create books using bold type Sylfaen for the main contents. The contrast is very good indeed, very much like real book. I can read even under dim light.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote