Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #76
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't "send" documents to my Kindle. Not really because of any Big Brother paranoia, but simply because it feels so roundabout. I have the document right here on my computer, my Kindle is always right here within spitting distance of my computer. So why would I want to send my document on some Grand Internet Tour when the USB cable is the shortest (and quickest) distance between points A & B? But I understand perfectly that many enjoy the convenience of a document traversing many network "miles" to wirelessly show up on their Kindle that's five to twenty-five feet away.
Hmm.. you are placing your expectations of what it is or why people would want it onto others.

For me, it's not about a way to get the documents onto the kindel... although I will say i haven't hooked my kindle via USB in quite a while. But, it is also about having my non-kindle purchased ebooks backed up somewhere... the fact that I can also access them right from my kindle is a huge bonus.

It's strange though.. I wonder when you buy kindle books (if you do) do you d/l them right to your kindle... or do you download them to your PC, then side load them with USB?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #77
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
Are you in the US? Does this also work in other countries to which Amazon ships Kindles and provides Whispersync via 3G?
I am in Italy and have a Kindle 3 3G which I use without Wi-Fi. I tried sending a personal document to the device via free.kindle.com.

With 3G active, at first I got the usual notification saying that the document was available for download via Wi-Fi. Shortly after the full document was downloaded to my Kindle, apparently with no fees charged.

EDIT: I have version 3.3 of the firmware.

Last edited by amoroso; 10-16-2011 at 11:49 AM.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's strange though.. I wonder when you buy kindle books (if you do) do you d/l them right to your kindle... or do you download them to your PC, then side load them with USB?

BOb
Without a doubt, the vast majority of my Amazon purchases get side-loaded. I browse and buy on my computer... download to my PC... take the precautions I deem necessary to fully backup my purchase, and then transfer it to my Kindle for reading.

As I said, I'm not ragging on anyone. Just pointing out the irony of the resources and distances involved in getting a personal document onto the Kindle—that is, in all likelihood, a few feet from you.

And while I recognize the validity of having an online backup, and the "anywhere availability" that that backup provides (even if I don't utilize them), I just think it would make more sense to be able to push sideloaded documents to your archive from the device itself. The requirement to send the document as an email attachment to get it into your archive seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. Especially when "no computer necessary" has always been one of the Kindle's selling points.

I understood it when the service was used mainly for conversion, but now that there are a multitude of ways to get documents into a mobi format, it seems a little silly. There's still a computer (or some other internet connected device) involved in sending the email attachment, so I fail to see the real convenience provided (with the exception of the unattended emailing of web content to your Kindle).

But, as always... just making observations, and it's certainly no skin off my back.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #79
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
I am in Italy and have a Kindle 3 3G which I use without Wi-Fi. I tried sending a personal document to the device via free.kindle.com.

With 3G active, at first I got the usual notification saying that the document was available for download via Wi-Fi. Shortly after the full document was downloaded to my Kindle, apparently with no fees charged.

EDIT: I have version 3.3 of the firmware.
I've had this happen with my DX, which doesn't have WiFi built into it. Since I have my personal document delivery settings set to $0.00. I ASSUME that I didn't pay for that delivery?!?!?!?
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #80
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
On another note, has anybody yet tried to have reading position and highlights synced?
I have with a mobi book converted to azw via email (sent from Calibre) and it DID NOT backup anything after deleting it... (also, personal objects on my Kindle still show up in archived items and they continue to do so after having been deleted from the device and redownloaded from the archive)...
Any experiences, any suggestions?
What I found was that documents I'd sent prior to the 3.3 update (and perhaps prior to some changes on the servers) did not show up in Archived Items and had 'delete' rather than 'remove from device'. Everything I've sent since then has 'remove from device' and will show up in Archived Items after removal.

I sent a document to my K2 and it did sync reading position. Haven't checked highlights backup yet, but I believe that's working also. Kindle.amazon.com didn't seem to be hooked up completely last time I checked: PD highlights showed in 'Recent Activity' but there were no entries for Personal Documents in My Highlights.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Without a doubt, the vast majority of my Amazon purchases get side-loaded. I browse and buy on my computer... download to my PC... take the precautions I deem necessary to fully backup my purchase, and then transfer it to my Kindle for reading.
That's sounds like a colossal unneeded waste of time to me.

But, as you say, to each his own.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

BOb
That's the spirit!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #83
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:

BOb
It's not a waste of time unless you plan on using a Kindle until you die. If in the future you decide to get a different ereader that is not supported by Amazon, all your purchased DRM books would be to be de-DRMed to read. Doing that step right away saves time later.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
It's not a waste of time unless you plan on using a Kindle until you die. If in the future you decide to get a different ereader that is not supported by Amazon, all your purchased DRM books would be to be de-DRMed to read. Doing that step right away saves time later.
I always purchase my books to my PC first then add them to Calibre and fix them. I am picky! I then make a copy of each format epub and mobi and upload them to Dropbox and send the book to my Kindles if I am going to read it next.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #85
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Still don't see the point.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #86
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'll probably continue to purchase 95%+ of my books via the PC too. It is much quicker and easier to browse the bookstore with the PC. I also habitually deDRM all my purchased books and squirrel them away for a backup. But unless I need to modify them, I typically just have Amazon send them to my Kindles. However, I have purchased quite a few books (hundreds) over the years from bookstores other than Amazon. This new PD cloud feature is a godsend to me in that those modified books and those purchased elsewhere can now be emailed to my Kindles and are now fully syncable between devices.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #87
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hmm, I don't see any way to 'download and transfer via usb', like you can with books purchased from amazon.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #88
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Hmm, I don't see any way to 'download and transfer via usb', like you can with books purchased from amazon.
I don't think you can load PDs via USB. And the only way to get them to Amazon's server (that I've found anyway) is to email them to your Kindle account.

Just be clear with my terminology: I don't include typical, non-syncable sideloaded books as PDs. I only include syncable books emailed to the Amazon servers as PDs.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #89
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yep. Looks like I won't be using Amazon cloud for my calibre library any time soon. Sugarsync keeps my monthly fee.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #90
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think you can load PDs via USB. And the only way to get them to Amazon's server (that I've found anyway) is to email them to your Kindle account.

Just be clear with my terminology: I don't include typical, non-syncable sideloaded books as PDs. I only include syncable books emailed to the Amazon servers as PDs.
You use to be able to. They would send you a email with a download link. I haven't gotten an email since I've upgraded to 3.3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote