Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
StirlingEditor
StirlingEditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Video won't play on iPad and iPhone

Hi all,
I've used Liz Castro's ebook, Audio and Video in Epub, to embed a book trailer into my novel's ebook epub file. I've followed her instructions to the best of my knowledge but on both devices, the video only shows as a black box, with a slashed out play button. Gah! Did my coding in Dreamweaver and my video conversion in Adobe Premiere. Have you ever gotten this dreaded black box and how did you troubleshoot it?

Could it be the poster size is wrong? I left that off b/c I could tell how to write it in regard to the {}. Should the

{width: 368px; height: 207px}

be inserted like this? And should it go in the CSS or the xhtml file?

Code:
div.video {width: 368px; height: 207px}{ 
text-align: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; }
video {
margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
}
Here's my CSS:
Code:
}
div.video {
	text-align: center; 
	margin-left: auto; 
	margin-right: auto; }
video {
	margin-left: auto; 
	margin-right: auto;
}
And here's my xhtml coding in the file:
Code:
<div class="video">
    <video src="video/artemis-rising-trailer.m4v" controls="true" autoplay="false" poster="images/poster-image.jpg"></video>
  </div>
Unsure what else to try...
StirlingEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirlingEditor View Post
Unsure what else to try...
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but please remove the trailer. We (a number of people on MR have said this) want a book with words. We don't need video/audio.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
StirlingEditor

I am already aware of your strong opinion on this topic, JSWolf. This is an enhanced interactive ebook, however. Video is just one of the many aspects of it. And it's beneficial for use in the sample download.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
StirlingEditor

If you can recommend another online forum that is more amenable to video in ebooks, please share and I'll take my question elsewhere.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the code elements can be placed in your css file but it you have other entries with different sizes you will need to make unique classes for them. by the way CSS doesn't particularly like things like {...} {...} as you have in the code example.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You might want to ask Liz directly-she has a great blog over at http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/ - I think she even has samples!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirlingEditor View Post
If you can recommend another online forum that is more amenable to video in ebooks, please share and I'll take my question elsewhere.
http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store....VideoMiniguide

Try that link. That will take you to where you can buy liz Castro's audio & video miniguide. I think that will help you out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
StirlingEditor

Thank you DaleDe, kjk, and JSWolf. I appreciate your help. I've already posted a comment question there, but I don't know that she'll answer. And her Video MiniGuide is what I've been using. I've followed her coding as closely as I know how. There is something simple that I'm missing, something that I haven't hit on yet. I'm determined to figure it out though. Just hoping for a little advice to get me going in the right direction. You know?

Tags
ipad video, video embed