Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Warhammer
Warhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Question Converting my Lit to Reader

I have lit files that I want to convert so they are readable on my PRS-500.

1. I've tried ABC lit to convert it to pdf and then used rastaf to convert the pdf to something readable on the reader. The problem is that rasta is not putting spaces between the words soeverythinglookslikethisanditisunreadable.

2. I've tried converting the files to rtf, which actually looks decent except it will format the word-wrap extremely short to two or three words on a line and then the next line will be full followed by another short line. It continues doing it every other line and just continues on and on and on through the entire document.

So, what program should I use or combination to solve either of these problems. Anything I should look for in settings to avoid the rtf issue or the pdf conversion issue with rasta?

Thanks!

P.S. In the past I've used book designer and it worked good enough to allow me to read several converted books. However I recently got a new PC and do not want to go through the headache of trying to reinstall that beast IF I can help it. If not, then so be it.

Last edited by Warhammer; 07-21-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: More detailed example attempt.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I last reinstalled BD in about 15 minutes.
See here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786
and the wiki for advice.

I tend to use BD as it works well on lit files for me. If it's been ok for you then it might ultimately be simplest to reserve an hour, fix a cooling drink, put some soothing music on, and just try installing it.
If you decide to do so, then post any problems and someone will try to help.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try using Calibre, see Calibre now includes MS LIT converter: lit2lrf . This uses ConvertLIT.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Calibre is definitely the easiest way to go
simond is offline   Reply With Quote