Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Nook STR Rooted - well that didn't take long

http://www.androidcentral.com/nook-t...-now-available
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
paultakeda
paultakeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Ed., Nook Color
NookDevs Instructions
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
has anyone found a tutorial on removing the side load limit yet?
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I haven't been paying attention to this whole rooting thing. If I root a Nook Touch, would I be able to load some different reader apps? I would love a reader app that allowed extensive format customization for reading EPubs (something similar to Stanza on an IPad).

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
trescenzi
trescenzi began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
I plan to try rooting my nook touch right now. I'll update this post with success/horror stories.

Update:
So far I'm not having too much fun. For some reason it isn't booting off of the sd card all the way and is getting stuck on their "rooted forever" screen. I'm trying to find a way to hard reset the nook to try it again.

Last edited by trescenzi; 06-08-2011 at 02:07 PM.
trescenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Wonder if you lose "Read in Store"? I'm not giving that up again. If I can get a basic file manager and something that recognizes book metadata for book summary and tag recognition I'll do it.

Last edited by SCION; 06-08-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
Those of you interested in keeping track would be interested in seeing this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=16

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=19

Video in 2nd link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MJungKIxY

Looks like it's chugging along!

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 06-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"

Hey SCION,
How's your Nook Touch so far, I mean, any bugs, overall experience?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wonder if you lose "Read in Store"? I'm not giving that up again.
Wise!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

OffTopic? I thought this thread was about the overall rooting progress on the Nook?

Getting Android apps like Kindle running and working is most definitely not off topic.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicJerk View Post
OffTopic? I thought this thread was about the overall rooting progress on the Nook?

Getting Android apps like Kindle running and working is most definitely not off topic.
Here's Mike Cane's take:

http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/...uch-as-kindle/

http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/...ps-and-update/

Last edited by TimW; 06-11-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add link
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast

I think the guy's initial impressions may be a bit too solid, especially since zonyl acknowledged the animation quirk and he's "Looking to see how to turn that off"

At this point I'm just happy to see it working.

And I think that Aldiko and FBReader should fare much better, considering you can easily take off the page turning animation entirely. They're the ones I would personally rather use, anyway, given my ebooks are all in epub.

I'm going to hold off on judging app loading times at the moment until we get a stable release with an optimized Android environment from someone, ala Nook Color.

The Nook Color and Nook touch have the same 800mhz processor , so I'm thinking positive, lol.

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 06-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicJerk View Post

I'm asking about the device's quality, not Android or rooting ;-)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm asking about the device's quality, not Android or rooting ;-)
ACK Sorry, I didnt realize you were referring to yourself lol
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

Hey SCION,
How's your Nook Touch so far, I mean, any bugs, overall experience?
I've been a bit disengaged here. Trying to give the device a fair shake without being influenced by postings (including mine). I'll be back to chime in.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rootstr