Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
xray1977
xray1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7 SD Card
Nook Color how to root?

ok so i used this site some time back on some other ereaders i had gotten my wife, currently she has the nook color, now im also thinking of getting one to do this root thing. is there a simple noob friendly thread i can follow to install in myself, noticed i guess theres different ways to run it also so as ez as possible of a guide would be appreciated and thanks in advance. keep up the good work.
xray1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Google "Autonooter", but the version for the newest 1.2 update is still being worked on.

You can manually nooter, but that takes a bit more work (and I'm not sure if they've worked all the kinks out yet)...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1054027
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
xray1977

whats the difference in auto or manual doing? does it matter?
also whats cm7?

Last edited by xray1977; 05-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray1977 View Post
whats the difference in auto or manual doing? does it matter?
also whats cm7?
Do not use the ManualNooter 4/28 from XDA - it will cause you a lot of grief - the devs have not been able to fix the market (and basically the sync with your Google accounts) - it is not ready for prime time and there appears to be much confusion with many posters claiming various degrees of success.

You will have to be patient OR, you can run CM7 from an SD Card and keep your Nook on Stock 1.2 internally. I do just that and whichever one I ujse it runs smooth as butter.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
xray1977

well im not gonna try it on my wifes im thinking of buying one for myself after hearing about this whole root thing. ok so if i buy one more then likey will either be 1.1 or 1.2 which i just updated on my wifes NC. and once i get it i can install this cm7 on a SD card and run it directly from the SD card. Correct me if im wrong. Is there a super noob friendly guide for that. lol appreciate the info everyone. was looking to get me a projector for my bday but bills come first and this will be cheaper. lol.. i'll b checking back in. thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...also whats cm7?
CM7 is CyanogenMod 7 an aftermarket version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread...
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

It can be installed directly to the NC wiping out the B&N firmware and features or it can be run like a second OS either dual boot or from and SD card. I'm running it on an SD card right now and it works pretty good. It basically gives you a full Android tablet...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957
Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
xray1977

yeah i really like that idea of running it off the sd card and all. and i like some of the things ive seen that u can do with the NC afterwards
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
yeah i really like that idea of running it off the sd card and all. and i like some of the things ive seen that u can do with the NC afterwards
Yeah, it's pretty cool and if you want to go back to stock it's as simple as starting the NC without the CM7 SD card in it. There are tons of CM7 NC videos on YouTube if you want to get an idea of how things look/work.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
xray1977

ive been looking on youtube also for how to videos, came across one thats broken done pretty simple. has like 5 parts but not sure if i should follow.any way someone can check to see if i can follow it. know sometimes cant post outside links on some forums
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
xray1977

i check back in later, gotta get to bed. work early.. looking forward to doing this. just might pick one up tomorrow or before wkend.Got a feeling once i get this running the wife will want to do the same. lol
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
i check back in later, gotta get to bed. work early.. looking forward to doing this. just might pick one up tomorrow or before wkend.Got a feeling once i get this running the wife will want to do the same. lol
For me these were the easiest instructions for putting CM7 on an SD card
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...otable-sd.html
I first tried method from XDA but Gaaps didn't take, putting both CM7 and Gaaps on at once to the image worked for me.

I lucked out with my Transcend 8gb class 6 card as it seems fairly quick. This thread has some info on cards you might want to try or avoid
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
xray1977

so i need to get a certain sd card as well ? probably pick one up at walmart any suggestions on which on?

searched on ebay for that Transcend 8gb class 6 card got one for 20.. good deal? should i get that one ? or should i get a different one. is there a better one ? appreciate all the help so far everyone, slowly but steady getting things together.

also when some ppl say that theyre running android 3.0 honeycomb is CM7 the same thing just with a different name?

Last edited by xray1977; 05-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.