Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
desdemona
desdemona began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Getting PocketBook 360 to connect consistently

I've had a mostly hate relationship with my pocketbook 360 since I got it. I have found that the one thing I really like about it is its ability to fit nicely in my purse, so I'm continuing to try to use it to tide me over when I go places where I have to wait.

However, it's driving me nuts that when I plug it into my computer, the first time I plug it in, it reboots itself and then continues charging without talking to the computer. I have to unplug it then plug it back in to get it to connect. USB mode is set to PC Link. I reported this bug to Jaroslav the day I received it, but he blew me off.

I am concerned that this was an early warning of a flaw in the hardware, not a software glitch because about a week ago, the thing simply refused to be recognized. It told me it was connected, but three different computers reported that the memory card needed to be formatted before it could read it. Instead, I used the firmware's own format function, under the Settings --> Maintenance icon. Since then, whenever I open a book, it treats it as a new instance of being read. I can set bookmarks, navigate through the book, but hwen I close it and reopen it, the book starts at the cover and all my bookmarks have disappeared.

Anyone? Do I have a defective PocketBook or is every user subject to this kind of glitchy behavior?
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Did you turn it on before plugged it to PC? If it's not defective hardware, it should work.
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Have you got it set to ask you what to do each time you connect it? I always turn my PB360 on before I connect it, then the little popup asks "PC Link" or "Charge". It's never rebooted there.

It does usually through me out of the book I was reading, though. So I always make sure I bookmark before I connect. It has always come back to the right page, though.

Good luck.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
I've had a mostly hate relationship with my pocketbook 360 since I got it. I have found that the one thing I really like about it is its ability to fit nicely in my purse, so I'm continuing to try to use it to tide me over when I go places where I have to wait.

However, it's driving me nuts that when I plug it into my computer, the first time I plug it in, it reboots itself and then continues charging without talking to the computer. I have to unplug it then plug it back in to get it to connect. USB mode is set to PC Link. I reported this bug to Jaroslav the day I received it, but he blew me off.

Anyone? Do I have a defective PocketBook or is every user subject to this kind of glitchy behavior?
Exactly the same than mine. I reported in the English and the german forum. Several try this and that responses but nobody from the official side could tell me if what is wrong.
I even send a mail to hardware support, no response.

No other problems on the PB so far.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkforce View Post
Did you turn it on before plugged it to PC? If it's not defective hardware, it should work.
Yes, actually I almost never turn it off. It's on when I plug it in and it always reboots then shows itself as charging, not connected.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Then, the next question is: which kind of computer, which OS?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
ninpuukamui
ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Yes, actually I almost never turn it off. It's on when I plug it in and it always reboots then shows itself as charging, not connected.
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have the PB configured to turn itself off after certain time? I'm only asking because when you plug an off PB to the USC cable, it will behave as you described, i.e., you'll get the start logo and then get into the book you were reading; the PB will then start charging and will not connect to the PC.
ninpuukamui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
My own experience is:

I have the Settings - USB Mode set to PC Link.

If I connect whilst the PB360 is switched off it always goes into charging mode.

If I connect whilst the PB360 is switched on it always goes into link mode.

I'm not sure whether this is ideal but at least it has always been consistent.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
My own experience is:

I have the Settings - USB Mode set to PC Link.

If I connect whilst the PB360 is switched off it always goes into charging mode.

If I connect whilst the PB360 is switched on it always goes into link mode.

I'm not sure whether this is ideal but at least it has always been consistent.
In my understanding this is the way how it is supposed to be - all my PocketBook readers have exactly the same behavior if USB Mode is set to PC Link.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninpuukamui View Post
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have the PB configured to turn itself off after certain time? I'm only asking because when you plug an off PB to the USC cable, it will behave as you described, i.e., you'll get the start logo and then get into the book you were reading; the PB will then start charging and will not connect to the PC.
It's not a stupid question at all. I have it set so the keyboard locks, but it doesn't turn off. But when it reboots itself upon being plugged in, it doesn't open my most recent book, either. It goes to the main page.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Then, the next question is: which kind of computer, which OS?
Windows 7, though I've also tried it on XP machines with the same result.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
desdemona

I have a quick update. Another reformat through the PB firmware seems to have resolved the bookmarking problems. Nothing I've tried has affected the charging issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
ninpuukamui
ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ninpuukamui has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Opus
I don't think I'll be able to help you, as my PB behaves as described by jackie, sorry.

If I was you I'd do some tests to try to isolate the problem, for example, what happens if you plug it in while it's off? Have you tried to plug it in both locked and unlocked? Does it happen only after a certain period of time? Finally, have you tried to set it up so you get asked when you plug the device if you want to charge or connect to PC?
ninpuukamui is offline   Reply With Quote