Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Which book light is best?

Hi everyone,
I have recently bought myself a Kobo and since it's one of the eInk reader series, I can't read it in the dark. I specifically bought eInk so that it wouldn't be backlit, so I was wondering if I could get your opinions on which type of book light is going to be the best.

I'm getting a screen protector from Zagg (if that makes any difference) and have bought a leather cover which I will probably use to hold the light.

I live in Australia but can order stuff over from Amazon.com since I have a gift voucher.

I don't want to spend more than around AU$25 if possible (since I can get lights at Borders and Dymocks here).

Thanks!
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I love the Ritelite. It isn't small -- I describe it as the size of a small streetlight -- but it's great. The light bar is roughly 10cm long, with approximately a 20cm stalk that plugs into its battery pack (you can also hook it into any USB port, so it makes a nice laptop light, and I have mine hooked via USB extension cable to a hub right now, so I can use it as a desk light). It has 5 LEDs distributed across that light bar, so it's almost glare-free on my 505. It uses common AAA batteries instead of those spendy lithium button cells, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I didn't expect it to be quite so big, though!

The own sides are the size, the weight of the AAA batteries, and the fact that the clip on its battery pack is quite sharp; I'd be reluctant to attach it to a case directly. I have an M-Edge Executive case, and I'm going to make a little bracket (just a bent piece of aluminum) that fits into the book light holder on the case that I can clip the book light to.

Anyway, a compact, lightweight book light it's not, but it's so useful, so flexible, so bright, and so glare-free that I wouldn't trade it for any other book light I've seen. Right now, it's rubber-banded to a little tower desk fan, lighting up my whole desk area. It also has a low setting, if you don't need quite so much light! Oh, and there are little blue-tinted "window" spots on the top of it, to provide some ambient light to reduce eyestrain.

Anyway, that's what I have, after a lifetime of all sorts of book lights, and it's the one I'm staying with for the foreseeable future. I love it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I just bought an OttLite mini, it is by far the brightest LED mini-light I have ever seen (probably because it has an array of light as opposed to one or two lights). I got it cheap from Michaels (the craft store) this weekend when it is onsale + coupon for only $12. It is a bit bulky as a book light, but it works really well.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I'm a big fan of the M-Edge e-luminator2 for an integrated light/case but as you already have a case and I'm not sure M-Edge even makes a Kobo case I have heard good things about the Mighty Brights. If you do a search of the forums you are sure to find many suggestions and even some full on comparisons of various brands.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I use one of these and like it:

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

I have a Sony 505 with cover. I use rechargeable batteries.

Happy reading.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
If you do a search of the forums you are sure to find many suggestions and even some full on comparisons of various brands.

Mel
Hi Mel,
I did have a search through the forums but couldn't find anything. If you can point me towards the correct thread, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
In the Kindle Forum - search by the prefix "Accessories" - lots of post on lights that will work on more than Kindles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I use one of these and like it:

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

I have a Sony 505 with cover. I use rechargeable batteries.

Happy reading.
I second the Mightybright recommendation. I have THIS model and use rechargeables in it, too.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
In the Kindle Forum - search by the prefix "Accessories" - lots of post on lights that will work on more than Kindles.
Thanks for that
*pops over to have a look*
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I second the Mightybright recommendation. I have THIS model and use rechargeables in it, too.
I have the XtraFlex2 also and think it is good.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
When I had the Sony reader, I picked up a "Pathway lights: Multi-pose Brightbook" at Target. It has 4 leds, two light levels and was only $8.99. Then high setting is SUPER bright. I used rechargeable AAA batts in it. It was an excellent light for reading the eInk screens.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Just picked up the MightyBright XtraFlex as it was on sale at Borders. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
Just picked up the MightyBright XtraFlex as it was on sale at Borders. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #14
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I second that nomination for the Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 specifically (versus the other Mighty Bright models).

While there are models with more LED bulbs, this one uses special hi-yield bulbs which give three times the light as normal LEDs. So its the equivalent of SIX LEDs.

In many circumstances you'll find yourself hitting the switch to turn off one of the bulbs, only leaving one lit.

There's still a potential glare issue though--so it might not be to everyone's taste. You DO have to fiddle occasionally to find the right position for the light.

EDIT - I see you wound up getting one of the XtraFlex models. For the money, the XtraFlex 2 is probably worth it over the one bulb model, so I hope that's the one you got. Again, if its too bright, you can always turn one of the bulbs off.

Last edited by Spiffy; 07-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Spiffy, you can 2nd 2nd or 3rd!

It is a great light, good to be able to use rechargeable batteries with it. An ac adapter can be used as a power source also if desired.