Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
SiPix EPD production yield rates to reach 80-85% in August-September

Quote:
SiPix Technology, an EPD (electrophoretic display) subsidiary of AU Optronics (AUO), has recently overcome its production bottleneck and expects yield rates to reach 80-85% in August-September, according to AUO affiliate Qisda.

SiPix's EPD monthly capacity is expected to reach 200,000 in the fourth quarter of 2010 and to 400,000 units per month in the first quarter of 2011, Qisda noted.

SiPix aims to ship 900,000 EPDs in 2010. The AUO group estimates the global e-book reader market at seven million units this year.

Qisda indicated that SiPix's EPDs are competitive in terms of pricing, touchscreen support and production yield rate though SiPix's EPD whiteness is only at about 30% (with capacitive touch panel incorporated), which is lower than E Ink's.

Wistron has adopted SiPix's EPD for its e-book reader due to its low cost and touch function, and Wistron started shipping its e-book readers earlier this month, market sources noted.

The low cost of SiPix's EPD has attracted vendors such as Acer, who is reportedly considering adopting the SiPix solution, the sources added. Acer previously cooperated with Compal Electronics to develop its e-book reader based on E Ink's solution, the sources said.

Qisda is expected to achieve its e-book reader shipment goal of 400,000 units for 2010 amid strong shipments to China-based Shanghai Century Publishing Group, as well as shipments to Asustek Computer and BenQ, the sources added.
Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100713PD211.html

This should make for interesting ebook readers. Hanlin A6 anyone?
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
though SiPix's EPD whiteness is only at about 30% (with capacitive touch panel incorporated), which is lower than E Ink's.
Hmmm, I don't remember reading that in the original SiPix articles, although maybe I glossed over it because I was too busy lusting over multi-touch...

What % is e-Ink rated at, for comparison? I'm hoping for a touch device without the glare that the Sony Readers have, but I don't particularly want a really gray background, either.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Hmmm, I don't remember reading that in the original SiPix articles, although maybe I glossed over it because I was too busy lusting over multi-touch...

What % is e-Ink rated at, for comparison? I'm hoping for a touch device without the glare that the Sony Readers have, but I don't particularly want a really gray background, either.
Both Vizplex and Pearl are around the 40% mark as per E-Ink's testing. However, standards for testing can vary and numbers aren't always directly comparable.

I posted some similar information a while ago here.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote