Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo1.4 firmware upgrade failure

I'm having a really hassle with this upgrade.

I installed the upgrade using my Windows 7 laptop. The process went fine but when it completed the Kobo sat with a 'updating the software on your eReader, one moment please' screen. I left this for around 2 hours with no change.

In the end I reset the Kobo with a paper clip, I then got a loading screen with the progress squares in the bottom right corner, once 7 squares appear the Kobo freezes. Tried reseting a few times but no luck.

I reinstall the firmware again using a Vista PC. The process completed and the Kobo desktop software says the update was a success, please unplug your eReader. I did this but the Kobo is sitting again with the updating software message.

Does any one have any ideas on what's going on, how long is 'one moment'?
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcels View Post

I installed the upgrade using my Windows 7 laptop. The process went fine but when it completed the Kobo sat with a 'updating the software on your eReader, one moment please' screen. I left this for around 2 hours with no change.

In the end I reset the Kobo with a paper clip, I then got a loading screen with the progress squares in the bottom right corner, once 7 squares appear the Kobo freezes. Tried reseting a few times but no luck.

I reinstall the firmware again using a Vista PC. The process completed and the Kobo desktop software says the update was a success, please unplug your eReader. I did this but the Kobo is sitting again with the updating software message.

With variety of hardware and operating systems, it becomes
fairly easy to get bricked. The very reason I propagate SD card
usage as the only way of upgrade procedure.

With Vista upgrade, have you reset the reader. Paperclip, recall?

I suppose would be much less hassle if upgrade takes no free books
anymore. Who wants to read them, might take them from kobo
server as free download? That way an image could be small and
could come as 2 files: one as a file system, which should be copied
to SD card first. Second step would be to mount the card and simply
copy the rest.
Just my 2 cents.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
gmos
gmos began at the beginning.

Quote:

Have exactly the same situation here, and have been in contact with Kobo support on the issue.

This is a copy from my latest email to them regarding trying to reapply the upgrade :
Since the the support request was made, I've managed to learn the trick
of getting it into upgrade mode using reset and tried many time to
repeat the process with the same results.

1. Using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on new pc (Phenom II x6 cpu, 890fx
motherboard), same problem. Gets to step 8 and hangs. Kobo screen
displays "Updating the software on your reader... one moment please"
and stays there! It will hang indefinitely. If I reset it, it will
reboot to a point where 7 dashes are shown on the progess indicator,
then again it hangs indefinitely. This process has been repeated a
number of time (including with a re-installation of the Desktop
software).

2. Using Windows XP (SP3) in VirtualBox VM within Ubuntu. Same outcomes.
Though sometimes I got a 'device disconnected' error, which may be due
to the VM's USB methods.

3. Using a native Windows XP (SP3) pc (Intel Core2 duo, basic MSI
motherboard).
EXACTLY the same behaviour as when using the Ubuntu system (though
slower). Hangs at step 8, hangs on reset/reboot at 7 bar point.

So, the process has been tried on 2 physically different computers and
using 2 different Operating Systems in 3 different configurations. I
don't think, therefore, that the problem is due to computer or Operating
System variables.

The reader is basically 'bricked' by the above upgrade methods. There
also seems to be a number of people reporting similar, and even
identical, 'bricking' on discussion threads in the Mobileread Kobo
forums.

***There are also some, like myself, who are interested in obtaining a
copy/image of the SD software, and are able to create our own SD upgrade
cards and attempt to 'un-brick' it (I'm sure this would be easier than
mailing an SD card to overseas customers).

***Could this be made available as our last resort ???

Otherwise, it will have to be returned and/or replaced.
I'd prefer not to have to do that!

Perhaps it would be helpful if the others who have this 'bricking' problem post in this thread as well. We (and some Kobo staff) can then get a clearer idea of the size and nature of the problem, and share any helpful info.
gmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Marcels

I’ve only had my Kobo for 1 day, I can return it. To be honest this was my second Kobo, the first one had a fault battery, I only had that one for a day as well. What about those people that are unable to return their Kobo due to having it over the store returns date?

Either I'm very unlucky or there are some big issues with the Kobo that need to be addressed. I've spent hours online looking for solutions and have spoken the Kobo support and Whitcoulls support, now I’m trying this forum. All have the same answer, return it.

I've owed a PSP, PS3 iPod, Xbox and numerous IT hardware and I've never bricked a device, even when using custom firmware’s. It’s good to see so many have had success with the 1.4 upgrade, but what about the next upgrade, what do you do if that one fails?

It should not be possible to brick a device using the official firmware, to me this is a flaw and a huge risk, where are the warnings during the installation that this can happen, if they are there I didn't notice them? Kobo needs to have an end user solution to resolve failed updates. Having to go in store and use a SD card is not a consumer friendly solution. The desktop app needs to backup or have a rollback option.

So my new question is do I walk away from this or try for 3rd time lucky???
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Marcels

I've just contacted SameerH from Kobo as he seems to have been able to help others with similar issues.

Hopefully he might be able to assist
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same problem

I had the exact same problem as GMOS in a 32 bit Ubuntu system with XP in Virtual Box.
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
methos8
methos8 began at the beginning.

Quote:

This is exactly what happened with mine. I initially tried on Windows 7 64bit and again on XP 32-bit. No luck with either and I'm still waiting "one moment" I have a ticket open with Kobo that is supposedly being escalated to level 2 support.
methos8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
MattWamboldt
MattWamboldt began at the beginning.

I posted this in another thread about the same problem. This happened to me as well on vista home premium. My battery was low initially so assumed it was that, but still having problems. Could it be that you have to be signed in possibly?
MattWamboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Hi There,

I have been trying to hit as many threads about this problem as I can basically if the forced upgrade doesn't work then you're going to have to get it replaced. Normally this is done through the mail and takes around two weeks. For me I caused a fuss over that (I already had to return one that way less than a month ago) and after two 30 minute phone calls finally got them to agree to let me exchange mine at my local chapters. Long story short send an email to help@kobobooks.com or phone them and they can do something for you.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:

Hi marcel,

Can you retry the upgrade (use CTRL + SHIFT + U to force the upgrade in the library view of the desktop application), but this time keep it plugged in when it tells you to unplug the reader.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
MattWamboldt
MattWamboldt began at the beginning.

Oh thank god. Worked for me. Had a suspicion that may have helped.
MattWamboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #12
Marcels

I'm happy to say that worked for me too! I hope that the others get on as well.

Thanks Sameer, you're a life saver.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
methos8
methos8 began at the beginning.

Unfortunately this didn't work for me.
methos8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Hi. This is my first post, so bear with me.

I am very unhappy that my Kobo has bricked. I followed all the upgrade instructions to the letter and then my reader wouldn't move beyond rebooting page. Left overnight and charging, but it obviously failed. Phoned Kobo support but they can't help either. Uninstalling the desktop program and re-installing failed. Putting the Kobo back into upgrade mode worked once but I got the failure messure when I tried to do the upgrade again. Now back to Kobo eReading: anytime. anyplace with 7 bars on bottom of screen but can't get it off that. It won't go back into upgrade mode again. Have rung store and they said I will have to wait 10 days until new stock comes in. Grrr. Also, had already purchased more books from Borders and there are no download links. Also phoned about that. I do have an Eco-Reader (slow but bless its little cotton socks it WORKS) but because I can't download my FIVE new books I can't even put them on that. WHAT ARE THEY DOING???!!!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Hi. This is my first post, so bear with me.

I am very unhappy that my Kobo has bricked. I followed all the upgrade instructions to the letter and then my reader wouldn't move beyond rebooting page. Left overnight and charging, but it obviously failed. Phoned Kobo support but they can't help either. Uninstalling the desktop program and re-installing failed. Putting the Kobo back into upgrade mode worked once but I got the failure messure when I tried to do the upgrade again. Now back to Kobo eReading: anytime. anyplace with 7 bars on bottom of screen but can't get it off that. It won't go back into upgrade mode again. Have rung store and they said I will have to wait 10 days until new stock comes in. Grrr. Also, had already purchased more books from Borders and there are no download links. Also phoned about that. I do have an Eco-Reader (slow but bless its little cotton socks it WORKS) but because I can't download my FIVE new books I can't even put them on that. WHAT ARE THEY DOING???!!!
If people in this situation post details about a method of upgrade,
some statistics could be done. That way developers would be able
to see where the problem lies. Also, since "sticky" is not populated
as on some other forums, please put all complaints of the same kind
in just thread. Anyway, SD card upgrade would heal the reader.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote