Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple: Find My iPhone App Now Available

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/news/2...an-update.html

Quote:
If you lose your iPhone or iPad while on the go, simply install the Find My iPhone app on any other iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to find it. Sign in with your member name and password to locate your missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. You can even remotely lock the missing device to protect your privacy, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won't be returned.* The app will automatically sign you out after 15 minutes of inactivity or you can manually sign out at any time.
Works great-and much easier than using Mobile Safari. It even shows a little icon of either the iPhone or iPad in question.

Had to promise my son I wouldn't use it for evil though
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Too bad it requires a MobileMe subscription. There are free Android apps that work better without requiring a monthly charge.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
oh. quick. let's all ditch our iOS devices for android now..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
oh. quick. let's all ditch our iOS devices for android now..
Yeah come on scottjl someone said something against your beloved apple. Fight back ... Pathetic

And by the Way he has a point why a monthly fee for such a simple feature. Not only android makes that possible for free Even windows mobile and symbian.

Last edited by Sischa; 06-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

sischa, have you decided to take up kenny's old job or what? save your attacks for someone who really cares.. your attempts are pretty pathetic in themselves. if you're going to troll, try harder.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ad hominem attacks and slurs are strictly contrary to MR Guidelines. Repeats of same may result in removal of access to MR. Responses of "But he/she said..." will not be entertained.

MR Moderating Team
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An important function like finding your Apple device should not require a monthly payment.

Android has the right idea by giving that functionality for free. It seems that Apple has a lot of catching up to do with Android.

Android multitatsks from the get go and it doesn't restrict that functionality based on the face they they want you to upgrade your hardware. Apple on the other hand is restricting functionality where there's no need to do so (with iOS 4 and older hardware) just to get people to upgrade for no good reason other then Apple's inherent greed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

Anyone who depends on this "Find my lost phone" "feature" is a tad bit of a fool. All it takes it a quick yank of the SIM (which most thieves will do quickly after they walked off with your phone) and there goes the ability. Once the phone is wiped and slotted with a new SIM you can no longer find your lost phone. It's a gimmick, nothing more.

Android has the capability and may have given the capability away for free, but not all hardware vendors implement it. It also isn't as one-stop as the Apple application is. Is it given away free with your phone? Maybe, but maybe not with someone else's Android. People seem to confuse Android, which is a phone operating system, with actual hardware which has various capabilities made by many different manufacturers. Even feature sets vary from carrier to carrier.

As for multitasking, this one has been hashed out in a few other threads, feel free to revisit them if you want to join the argument. Short answer is, yes, Android allowed free-for-all multitasking and paid for it in battery life. Wasn't until they started locking it down that people got more than a few hours of life out of their phones.

Apple upgrades, no good reason? Hmm. Let's see. Faster processor. More RAM (512M vs. 256M). Better camera. Front facing camera. More durable glass face. Longer battery life. Slimmer design. None of those reasons may be good enough for you, but they certainly are to many other people.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Anyone who depends on this "Find my lost phone" "feature" is a tad bit of a fool. All it takes it a quick yank of the SIM (which most thieves will do quickly after they walked off with your phone) and there goes the ability. Once the phone is wiped and slotted with a new SIM you can no longer find your lost phone. It's a gimmick, nothing more.
I guess it's useful in situations where your phone really is lost, as opposed to stolen. You might have left it in a store or a restaurant, but be unable to remember which one.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess it's useful in situations where your phone really is lost, as opposed to stolen. You might have left it in a store or a restaurant, but be unable to remember which one.
Yup, I think that scenario more likely. I don't think I'd risk my safety by pursuing a thief on my own, even if possible, and I don't think cops are going in hot pursuit of a gadget, even if stolen.

By the way, what do you techies think of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/te...ref=technology

I'm not technical, so I dunno how effective these options would be.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 06-19-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yup, I think that scenario more likely. I don't think I'd risk my safety by pursuing a thief on my own, even if possible, and I don't think cops are going in hot pursuit of a gadget, even if stolen.

By the way, what do you techies think of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/te...ref=technology

I'm not technical, so I dunno how effective these options would be.
I've thought about getting Undercover for my Macbook when I was traveling, since it has a lot of personal data on it. But I just don't take it with me that often any more. Not sure if I'd use it for an iPad though.

And yeah, I like FindMyiPhone for more the accidental/convenience finding features. But I also don't underestimate the stupidity of most thieves-I have a feeling a lot of them wouldn't know a SIM card if it hit them in the face-plus, who carries a paperclip around with them 24/7
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I've thought about getting Undercover for my Macbook when I was traveling, since it has a lot of personal data on it. But I just don't take it with me that often any more. Not sure if I'd use it for an iPad though.

And yeah, I like FindMyiPhone for more the accidental/convenience finding features. But I also don't underestimate the stupidity of most thieves-I have a feeling a lot of them wouldn't know a SIM card if it hit them in the face-plus, who carries a paperclip around with them 24/7
Yup, wiping data seems more important to me, because the likelihood of recovering stolen hardware seems low to me. I'm guessing thieves aren't that worried about being tracked quickly even with the SIM card in.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 06-19-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
plus, who carries a paperclip around with them 24/7
I do, because it's the "universal reset tool" for gadgets. I have one in my wallet .
Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do, because it's the "universal reset tool" for gadgets. I have one in my wallet .
Ok, I admit, when I carried around my REB1100, I also carried around a paper clip to reset it