Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #91
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
To buy Pocketbook readers in general, or just the 301?

And regarding the statistics on the broken screens: consider the location of the poster. It is possible that Russians are more interested in buying readers that can display Cyrillic characters, and if a kindle is broken, they probably get it fixed or replaced by amazon, not a third party tech guy.
Pocket book has almost 50 % of the market in Russia
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #92
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
To buy Pocketbook readers in general, or just the 301?

And regarding the statistics on the broken screens: consider the location of the poster. It is possible that Russians are more interested in buying readers that can display Cyrillic characters, and if a kindle is broken, they probably get it fixed or replaced by amazon, not a third party tech guy.
The quality of later products might have improved,
and the statistics is very approximate, that's true.

There is a practice, however, of recalling bad products.
Or fixing/replacing broken devices of that category - not just abandoning the customer: OK, our next product will be better, try again.

That's why I will go to Sony or Kindle the next time.
(Kindle shows Russian + other characters, it is easy to try and return, etc.)

Every company has growing pains. I've paid my share for the product to let them grow - and no "thank you", no apology.

It might sound naive, but that's psychology of a consumer: I'll go to Amazon, where they would apologize and replace a bad product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
The new Kindle and Sony haven't won me over yet. I expect my 602 to last at least for 4 years before I update it.
Alas, I had expected mine to last, too!
Good luck to you

(Going to Kindle in this case is like an unrequited love story - I love PB, but he/she does not love me, I have to get married with a second choice)

Last edited by chuckz; 12-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #93
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
You'll go to SONY because you expect better customer care???

troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #94
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

I expect a better product - meaning a thoughtful design, not just pieces slapped together.
The hardware design and implementation is also a part of customer service - thinking in advance how to minimize disappointments and complaints.

The software features you can figure out with the forum help if not too laizy. Nothing you can do if your screen breaks because it was supposed to: with this design even pressing on a button disturbs the screen.

Of course, the case was not taken in consideration either.
It is soft - supposedly to cushion hits.
But for these thin and fragile screens it must have a hard layer - Kindle has it.
I don't think it's random - they must have put some thought into the case design as well.

Customer service is taking care of possible problems before they arise.
(I have no experience with Sony readers - but thanks to the PB experience I will consider all this before buying.)
Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #95
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Good luck with whatever device you will choose. After all, this is why it's good that there are many readers around.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #96
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
replaced

I have to say I had a good experience with Pocketbook when my reader broke. I contacted them and mailed them my reader, they sent me a new one. My screen was broke, not sure how I managed that (well other than my using it all the time LOL) anyway they replaced it and had me a new one in a little over a week.

I am still happy with my little PB360, its stylish and I love the way the buttons are placed.

I am getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but it is more for its extras than for reading.

I think most of the companies have some user issues, in my case I am not surprised when I break my reader because I am at the very high end of user, I usually read 3 to 4 books a week. So by default I am going to break mine faster than someone who only reads a book or less than one a week.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #97
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I have to say I had a good experience with Pocketbook when my reader broke. I contacted them and mailed them my reader, they sent me a new one. My screen was broke, not sure how I managed that (well other than my using it all the time LOL) anyway they replaced it and had me a new one in a little over a week.
same experience with a PB360 in the UK - replaecd in to time, even before I sent the broken one back. The 360 is very well constructed, I even unwittingly threw it off a train platform, and it survived all right (and this was months ago): I have stopped counting the number of times my parter's one fell on the ground (must be at least 3 or 4), and it is still working perfectly. Of course, that is a small screen - I would not trust my 902 to fall, and I treat it with kid's gloves, but the build feels sturdy. HAving said that, I've never held a 301, so maybe that is a different construction.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #98
chuckz
Enthusiast

360 is too small, 90x are too big.
301 now a piece of junk.
So, I had to get Kindle Touch - it's light and has many nice features.

Alas, no screen rotation (landscape mode) in this one, as opposed to Kindle 3 (keyboard) which is again too heavy to carry around. Returning makes no sense, especially since there are no other choices.

Now back to Pocketbook line - waiting for the promised 611. Hopefully it will happen, and Kindle will go to my mom for her birthday (will they manage it until May?)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #99
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz View Post
Now back to Pocketbook line - waiting for the promised 611.
PB611 is already being sold here in Europe.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #100
chuckz
Enthusiast

Kindle Touch is on its way back to Amazon - no landscape mode, resolution inferior to that of Kindle 3, scanned-image pdf can be zoomed - but the settings are valid only for the current page!?
That's why it's cheap...
Europe is on the other side of the Great Pond
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #101
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kindle Touch is on its way back to Amazon - no landscape mode, resolution inferior to that of Kindle 3, scanned-image pdf can be zoomed - but the settings are valid only for the current page!?
That's why it's cheap...
Europe is on the other side of the Great Pond
You could reconsider the 360 Plus. Compared to the 301:
- same resolution of 800x600, because the pixel density is higher (200 dpi instead of 166dpi)
- better processor (533MHz instead of 400MHz)
- more memory (128Mb instead of 64Mb)
- more storage (2Gb instead of 512Mb)
- no audio
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #102
chuckz
Enthusiast

I've taken my device apart. It turned out that I was both lucky and unlucky.
The display is well attached to the motherboard - with glue, not scotch as they showed on some sites. It was not supposed to break because of minor hits or pressure: the crack started from an edge - likely a (Chinese) manufacturer's defect, a disaster in waiting.

It should have happened just 3 months earlier.

(360 plus looks good - but just a bit too small for reading pdfs and djvu) :-(

P.S. I am going to try it anyway

Last edited by chuckz; 12-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #103
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
LOL, the "Chinese" is something that must be identified if something goes wrong.

Could anyone recommend a good-quality reader that is solely made in the U.S. or Europe? I actually scratched the words "assembled in China" off the back of my 602. I like to be classy, not cheap. I wish my 602 was designed and made in a small town in Texas.

Last edited by jshzh; 12-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #104
chuckz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
LOL, the "Chinese" is something that must be identified if something goes wrong.
Sorry for misunderstanding - I only said "Chinese" to set this defect apart from an assembly flaw. Not to say that "Chinese" is always "bad".
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #105
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
P.S. I am going to try it anyway
Good luck!

Tags
customer support, warranty