Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
1st Impressions Of Pocket Pro

Well I got my pocket pro through yesterday and have been playing with it for a few hours, I had converted all my books to RTF which I found to be the best format for my 6" Bebook, I used Open Office with a border less template I found on these forums, Prob the best thing I've downloaded from here tbh.
So I copied my books across to my new Pocket Pro and found RTF to be a bit limited on the PP 2x views none of which I liked and got a few lockups too, So I read a bit more on "The best format" thread and settled on PDB mainly because Open Office supports PDB and I can keep using the no side boarder template on it, And it has multi zoom levels on PDB. I did change the font also to a custom one after reading up on here about the best fonts to use, Which I then chose (Bookman Old Style) font very nice and easy to read.
The only thing that I don't like is the fact that I have to keep my SD card plugged in to keep using the custom font, As the PP reverts back to default fonts if I remove the SD card.
The other thing I had trouble with is every time I exited a book and went back into the book my PP wouldn't save my last viewed page, After a bit of mucking about I formated my Pocket Pros internal memory to fat32 and that seems to have fixed my problem.
I was quite surprised at the size difference between my 6" Bebook and the 5" pocket Pro, I mean I've seen pictures and video but nothing can compare to having the actual product in your sweaty palms The PP is a lot lighter than the BB too which makes reading more comfortable experience, I also noticed that the white on the PP screen is more like a cream colour than on the BB which is a lot lighter, I don't know why this is ? Maybe the designers though it would cause less eye strain ? It does seem to make the screen darker on the Pocket Pro though .
The text to speech option worked but when I tried to stop it caused no end of flashing green light loop, Which I then had to reset to clear it. But the Voice synthesizer didn't sound as bad as I thought it would
The only thing I like better on the Bebook than the Pocket Pro is understandably the screen size which of course means a lot less page turns but that's the compromise I'm willing to live with for the smaller form factor.
The other thing worth noting is the extra speed of the Pocket Pro, It just feels more snappier than the 6" Bebook, You notice it more jumping from menu to menu and book to book, Page turning when running them side by side also shows a slight improvement over the 6" Bebook by about second.
Obviously this extra speed is due to the faster processor on the Pocket Pro.
I must say I do like the Pocket Pro so far over the "6 Bebook for all the above mentioned points, Right back to some reading and not so much writing

Side by side comparison:
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
One good thing I found it that the cover seems stiffer. I put my V3 in a plastic box but I have no concerns about popping the V5 in my handbag.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
It is smaller than I imagined. This being the first 5" screen I ever seen and having only seen the Sony 505 in hand. I thought it would be made only slightly smaller. The comparison pics online never prepares you for on hand.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Hey gargoyle67, are you from Europe? Because that file you are using on your Bebook is very similar to one i uploaded in papyre.co.cc (darklooker site).

Anyway, congratulations on you purchase, i have one too (blue one) and i love it
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hay Chiron, Yep from UK and it's the black version of pocket pro, Although it does look a bit bluer with the camera
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
jojo81
jojo81 began at the beginning.

Device: ezreader
can i just ask roughly how long it took to arrive. im really excited about receiving mine hopefully it comes before i go on hols.
jojo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
gargoyle67
Addict

I ordered mine on the 22nd of September and it came on 1st of October so inc weekends and and day I ordered it 10 days from USA to England UK. But I had to get a friend to pick it up from the delivery depo as there was duty to pay for 11 days really.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Can you point me to where you found the OpenOffice template please? I've done a few searches but didn't find anything. I'm starting to think peoples templates are just part of their posts embedded in the jungle of threads.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Well I got my pocket pro through yesterday and have been playing with it for a few hours, I had converted all my books to RTF which I found to be the best format for my 6" Bebook, I used Open Office with a border less template I found on these forums, Prob the best thing I've downloaded from here tbh.
So I copied my books across to my new Pocket Pro and found RTF to be a bit limited on the PP 2x views none of which I liked and got a few lockups too, So I read a bit more on "The best format" thread and settled on PDB mainly because Open Office supports PDB and I can keep using the no side boarder template on it, And it has multi zoom levels on PDB. I did change the font also to a custom one after reading up on here about the best fonts to use, Which I then chose (Bookman Old Style) font very nice and easy to read.
The only thing that I don't like is the fact that I have to keep my SD card plugged in to keep using the custom font, As the PP reverts back to default fonts if I remove the SD card.
If you like rtf you might want to give pure DOC files a try. Make the fonts bigger to have about 22 lines per page for good results with a DOC file. Cut the margins down in the word file. Images work and even TOC works with DOC files using the built-in word TOC builder.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
gargoyle67
Addict

Template

@Solicitous Heres the template,
@DaleDe Thanks for the heads up, I'm using PDB at the moment and using custom Bookman Old Style Bold fonts which work really nice.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Ebook Template.rar (7.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@DaleDe Thanks for the heads up, I'm using PDB at the moment and using custom Bookman Old Style Bold fonts which work really nice.
Thanks.
I could not even get into OOO templates page last night to look (down?).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
gargoyle67
Addict

@theducks, Didn't even know OO had a template website.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll be having a good play with it later.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks, Didn't even know OO had a template website.
FYI

BTW If you are the author, you can submit your template there for the world to use
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard

Speaking of first impressions, has anyone viewed the 300 ebooks on the sd card on their computer? Under the Free 200 titles (PDB) folder there is a download.pl script, which has a username/password for sftp on pokerxfactor.com. Interesting......