Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
cepino
cepino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF Kindle Conversion troubleshooting

I am trying to convert a .pdf book that I received from Italy into a format I can use to read it on my Kindle. After looking around for different solutions, I downloaded Mobipocket Creator and used in on the book, but what I produced was garbled text. I tried to use the different encoding options and the Italian text option to no avail -- same result.

I used the software on a couple of other .pdf files produced in the US, and the conversion worked great. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be and/or any suggestions on other conversion programs that might be available?
cepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't have a Kindle, but I do convert alot of my ebooks to mobipocket format. I had a PDF book that had a mix of asian and latin characters that I had problems converting to mobipocket format (the latin text converted ok, but the asian characters were garbage). I also had no success with Creator's encoding options. The way I worked around it was to convert the text to html encoded in UTF-8, and then used the html to feed into mobipocket creator.

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest trying calibre 0.6 beta. This probably isn't as good as MobiPocket Creator on average at PDF to MOBI, but it may work on your PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
cepino
cepino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all. It turns out that Amazon was able to convert it. I sent the file to free.kindle.com and I got back a good file. I wanted to do it myself but I guess thsi was the least frustrating option.

I will try what you guys suggested. Thanks again.
cepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
msilk
msilk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I tried free.kindle.com...it is a money management site...what is the exact site for the Kindle to have hem convert the files
msilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by msilk View Post
I tried free.kindle.com...it is a money management site...what is the exact site for the Kindle to have hem convert the files
It isn't a site, but an e-mail conversion service. You e-mail the documents to "name"@free.kindle.com and Amazon sends back the converted files by e-mail. For this to work, you need to establish your Kindle's e-mail address and list approved "From" e-mail addresses to send files for conversion. See Transferring Documents and Files to Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
fc28
fc28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 and Windows Mobile Device
Hi
I am a new Kindle2 user. I have read with interest the posts re: converting pdfs to be read on the Kindle but am wondering if there is a way to bring back the document to the original pdf? I am particularly interested in being able to view my annotations (those made while reading on the Kindle)
I sent a message to Amazon but have not received a reply.

Here is what I want to do.
1. read articles on my Kindle...make annotations and save these for future reference.
2. covert the 'reveiwed' articles back to PDF so that I can view these on my pc and add the 'reveiwed' articles to my reference/citation manager (Endnote) as a PDF

Is this possible?
Thanks
Fran
fc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
erm translatite it to einglish pdf and then use mobile pocket on westion key code thing
that may work
sian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle, mobipocket creator, pdf, troubleshooting