Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
eflybook
eflybook began at the beginning.

Device: eflybook
FBreader help adding book to library

When I try to add a pdf to the library, it won't let me say ok. If I highlight a file and say ok it goes up one directory, then when i go back to the directory and do it again it does the same thing...I know I'm probably doing something very simple but this is driving me nuts, it makes fbreader usesless
eflybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
eflybook

actually I tried a chm file and it worked fine, for some reason my fbreader is seeing pdf's as a folder, not as a pdf...what am i diong wrong...
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
If it's a PDF that you've opened previously on the iLiad using it's internal viewer, then it probably is a folder. The iLiad does that the first time you open a document. It creates a folder of the same name, moves the file in there, and creates some other stuff with it like a manifest file... etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
eflybook

so once i open it with the native software i can't open it with fbreader?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
eflybook

ahhh THIS IS frustrating! fbreader seems like a good program but its so buggy and hard to use...i added one chm file to my library, now when i try to add another its not working, it acts like its going to do it but then it doesn't show up in my library

i can't even get a pdf file added at all
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
eflybook

ok so pdfs that i haven't opened with native software don't even show up, and I cant' get chm files to add anymore...do i have an old version of fbreader, is there a newer one that is reliable? thanks for help in advance, i'm usually good at searching and finding my own answers, but i'm kinda frustrated
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader does not support PDF, so you should not see PDFs at all in its BOOK+ ebook explorer. As Shaggy says, if you opened a PDF then it will be in its own directory. FBReader won't list the .pdf file, but it will list the directory containing the PDF file (it lists all directories). There is a difference in icons between directories and ebooks.

FBReader's support of CHMs is limited by the fact that it reads the entire ebook into memory on start-up. Many CHMs are too large to fit in memory, so FBReader hangs or exits strangely. One work around is SWAP on iLiad, which should allow larger CHM ebooks to work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflybook View Post
do i have an old version of fbreader, is there a newer one that is reliable?
There are three version for the iLiad. Do an advance search of all the iLiad forums for threads with FBReader in the title.

You are using 0.8.4 which is old but works well enough for most purposes. This is the one I use.

The 0.8.14 version does not have icons, so you use it like "native" iLiad apps (bind it to ebook types and click on an ebook to invoke FBReader). I found this too limiting, but 0.8.14 does have ePub support and there are threads showing how to customize this version.

The latest version is 0.10.2 (bug-fixed 0.10.0, and the FBReader site has 0.10.3 for Linux desktops). There isn't currently a well tested installer for this version, which should in principle retain the best features of 0.8.4 and 0.8.14 on the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote