Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #46
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Familiar with all or most of the world's newspapers, are you?
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I had a "paper route" from 6th grade through High School and my skills at folding and throwing the paper are still intact,

... but I have to say, who cares about physical newspapers anymore.

Not me for sure.

Now online, I read the NYT and others each day for free. (Now there is a subject to discuss!)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm digital all the way. Most of the time, it's Google News. Occasionally, I'll read NWCN or the Seattle Times (digital) for the local stuff.
Actually, Google makes a fair attempt at delivering, local news. At least the BIG local news stories for my smallish city are posted in the Google News page. What is missing from the internet is the "Little" news. The Ice Cream Socials, Church fundraisers, the Proms, and coming out parties, etc. These are the glue that form a community and hold it together. We are losing that, somehow.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #49
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Familiar with all or most of the world's newspapers, are you?
I don't need to be familiar with all or most of the world's newspapers to know the ones I deal with are unsatisfactory. There seems to be a gap in your logic.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #50
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Unless you have two accounts and just mixed them up, I didn't actually address you...
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I receive the Wall Street Journal and my local newspaper daily. I mostly read the electronic version during the week and paper on the weekend. Both of these have pay firewalls for their websites so I'd have to pay for a subscription even for "electronic only" access. It's just as easy to throw the paper in my recycle bin than it is in the trash bin. I wish more US papers were of similar size format to the UK papers. The smaller pages are easier to hold. I also have an iPad subscription to the UK Daily Mail.

On the other hand, I am trying to switch more magazines to digital only if they have high-resolution and an interactive, easy to read format on my iPad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #52
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'm not sure there is such a thing as an "honest to God" newspaper. Most of them have a rotten agenda of misinforming readers to their own rotten ends.
The newspapers that worry me the most are the ones without an agenda. That almost invariably means that I agree with what they're saying, so they are doing little more than reenforcing my preconceived notions.

That is also why I prefer newspapers over online news. Online news sources make it far too easy for me to choose the stories that I agree with, either in terms of their source or subject matter. (Then there's the bit that most online news sources are little more than editorial that is pumped out to keep the site updated to the minute, rather than the news cycle of a day for newspapers.)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #53
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Now online, I read the NYT and others each day for free. (Now there is a subject to discuss!)
We quit paper delivery years ago. Lately, however, we having been talking about paying for the online version of our local paper. As I believe most locals are, our paper is hurting.

I am concerned that if it goes out of business, who will be watching our local government? Doesn't there need to be some kind of indepth reporting, more than the local news can give? We're not sure of the answers and haven't decided yet what we are going to do.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Virginian-Pilot is our local paper, and we have it delivered daily. My wife reads it on the sofa and saves the coupons for me. I read it on a very nice dedicated app on my iPad, which is a side benefit of having a subscription to the physical newspaper.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Virginian-Pilot is our local paper, and we have it delivered daily. My wife reads it on the sofa and saves the coupons for me. I read it on a very nice dedicated app on my iPad, which is a side benefit of having a subscription to the physical newspaper.
Do you have to use a glass cutter to cut the coupons out on your iPad?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #56
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Hmmm, I've never really bought newspapers regularly.
But the last one I BOUGHT was, well, not 100% sure, but a long time ago.
At least 14 years ago I'd say.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #57
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Sunday New York Times and Washington Post (have tried daily delivery several times in the past; ended up with piles of TBR papers). I enjoy the Sunday morning ritual of lounging on the couch drinking tea with newspaper sections scattered all over the place.

Also some free papers: Express (daily (M-F) free version of Wash Po) on days I go to my office. Mostly fluff and generally pretty worthless in terms of actual news coverage, but can be paged through in about five minutes. And weekly "alternative" Washington City Paper. Can be good for coverage of latest activities of the wonderful DC government. Politico once or twice a week. Northwest Current (weekly paper that covers local news in my part of DC).

Otherwise mostly online: some papers, online news sites and Google News, although I have passed on having the latter "customized" for me.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #58
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Years, well I did buy a copy of the Sunday paper to get the tv guide out of it last week. But I never opened it. It had been years since we had before that. My husband picks my mum up a copy of Saturdays paper each week. She is 70 and still reads it. Oh and the local paper, my mum reads that.
I still remember lazy Sundays reading the paper, all that ink over your hands. I find the internet far easier now.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I still remember lazy Sundays reading the paper, all that ink over your hands. I find the internet far easier now.
I used to copy the comics with Silly Putty when I was a kid. What a mess

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #60
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I used to copy the comics with Silly Putty when I was a kid. What a mess

Worthwhile though-it teaches kids how to read backwards. I've found that skill quite useful when standing in front of the boss's desk being dressed down.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote