Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Maurice Osborn
Maurice Osborn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why are subsequent chapters indented?

Hi,
I am a published author who is new to converting my books into Ebooks. I am using Altova XMLspy to convert my text into the Ebook format. But, I have found, when I preview my book, that the text in each sub chapter is progressively indented to the right. By the time that I have entered my fifth section of the text, the paragraphs are displayed about two inches wide. Why can't all of the text be displayed with the left margin all the way to the left? What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Maurice
Maurice Osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would help us help you if you post the CSS and the XML code where your problem exists,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Maurice Osborn
Maurice Osborn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for replying, but I do not understand what you are asking me for. So far, I have entered 65 pages of text from one of my books into an HTML file, I updated the contents into a toc.ncx file, and entered XML code into a content.opf file. I am not using CSS and the problem runs throughout the entire document. What exactly are you asking for?
Maurice
Maurice Osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
This actually sounds a like a problem that could/should be directed to Altova XMLSpy. Or if you don't have the background knowledge to understand the question from JSWolf, I would suggest you find an alternative product for conversion. For example you may find Sigil useful for creating your EPub, or if the source is in Word or OpenOffice there are other tools available to help.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Agreed, I'd suggest writer2epub at this point, since you're not sure what's wrong with your HTML. Or the old Smashwords nuke.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Scrivener is another good choice. Since you lack the understanding of CSS/etc you really need a better tool set to do the work for you.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
This site has excellent instructions for formatting ebooks, even for non-technical people.

If you're going to do much formatting for the e-world, it behooves you to learn a little html - it's not that hard.

It sounds to me like you've got nested styles that each indent a certain amount. Make sure all your paragraphs begin and end with <p> </p> and nothing else.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote