Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Free/Bargain Horror

Please don't post any self-published works. Please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates. Thanks.

Suffer the Children by John Saul is $2.99 from Random House. This was his first book, originally published in 1977.

Quote:
One hundred years ago in Port Arbello a pretty little girl began to scream. And struggle. And die. No one heard. No one saw. Just one man whose guilty heart burst in pain as he dashed himself to death in the sea. Now something peculiar is happening in Port Arbello. The children are disappearing, one by one. An evil history is repeating itself. And one strange, terrified child has ended her silence with a scream that began a hundred years ago.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Free short stories from Omnium Gatherum: Fortune: Lost and Found.

Quote:
Capital, cash, gold, lucre-- money makes the world go round. But fortunes easily gained are often painfully lost. Since the very first king pressed his face onto the very first coin no single thing has led so many to ruin. Fortune, it seems, has a dark side and a wickedly evil sense of humor. Curses, plagues and misfortunes rain down on those who dare to tip the scales in their own favor. Fortune: Lost and Found edited by L.S. Murphy and Kate Jonez is a collection of tales about money and wealth and the potentially horrifying consequences of gaining or losing it.

Featuring stories from Brent Michael Kelley, Kurt Fawver, Christian A. Larsen, Phil Hickes, Wednesday Lee Friday, Garrett Cook, Lizz-Ayn Shaarawi, Andrew G. Dombalagian, Lydia Ondrusek, John Jasper Owens, Eric J. Guignard, Andrew M Stockton, and Cory J. Herndon.
There is no TOC (annoying!) but I found a listing of the stories elsewhere:

“A Friend in Paga” by Brent Michael Kelley
“The Bottom Line” by Kurt Fawver
“The Plagiarist’s Wireless” by Christian A. Larsen
“Down the Pan” by Phil Hickes
“Trabajando Alegre” by Wednesday Lee Friday
“Things They Took from Luke” by Garrett Cook
“The Rules” by Lizz-Ayn Shaarawi
“The Second Vault” by Andrew G. Dombalagian
“Best Laid Plans” by Lydia Ondrusek and John Jasper Owens
“Hungry” by Eric J. Guignard
“Twisted Words” by Andrew M. Stockton
“Storbeck’s Gold” by Cory J. Herndon
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
NightBird
Wizard

Free from Evil Jester: As Fate Would Have It by Michael Louis Calvillo.

Quote:
Montgomery, a gourmet chef on the fast track to fame, has a teensy weensy problem. He's a murderous cannibal addicted to human flesh. Guilt and worry eat his brain and beg him to stop, but his headstrong girlfriend Liz won't let him quit. She blames Montgomery for getting her hooked on the succulent meat and refuses to curb her carnal urges.

Ashley, a twenty-something trying to figure her place in life, desperately wants to kick the nasty heroin habit she acquired with her boyfriend Henry a year and a half ago. Henry wants to make Ashley happy and quit, but no matter how hard he tries he can't seem to resist the drug's consuming pull.

As Montgomery and Ashley struggle with codependence, with love, with loss, with sorrow and regret they seek to find salvation in the unlikeliest of places—each other.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
NightBird
Wizard

Woohoo! The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey reduced to $1.99 from Simon & Schuster. YA only because of a young narrator. Get the audio for $3.99.

Quote:
These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for nearly ninety years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me . . . and the one who cursed me.

So starts the diary of Will Henry, orphan and assistant to a doctor with a most unusual specialty: monster hunting. In the short time he has lived with the doctor, Will has grown accustomed to his late night callers and dangerous business. But when one visitor comes with the body of a young girl and the monster that was eating her, Will's world is about to change forever. The doctor has discovered a baby Anthropophagus--a headless monster that feeds through a mouth in its chest--and it signals a growing number of Anthropophagi. Now, Will and the doctor must face the horror threatenning to overtake and consume our world before it is too late.

The Monstrumologist is the first stunning gothic adventure in a series that combines the spirit of HP Lovecraft with the storytelling ability of Rick Riorden.
See more about this book in this thread. Great book.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Rick Yancy's novels about the montrumologist are some of the best horror novels EVER written, in my opinion.

I advise everyone who loves horror novels to give that first one a read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yep - picked it up. I was saying - nah, kids stuff. And then I read a review or two and thought it was worth a risk. Then I read the posts here and thought .... "justifiiiiiiiied"
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I was going to ... then saw it was already in my library (unread).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I was going to ... then saw it was already in my library (unread).
I've been getting that more and more lately.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have it in my library, too, and had never started it. It was a freebie at Sony, September 2009, but I am not a true horror fan, so it remained unread.

I have no problem when something is just scary, but when there is a lot of very descriptive gore, I don't do as well.

Those of you that have read this book, is it really gory?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I have it in my library, too, and had never started it. It was a freebie at Sony, September 2009, but I am not a true horror fan, so it remained unread.

I have no problem when something is just scary, but when there is a lot of very descriptive gore, I don't do as well.

Those of you that have read this book, is it really gory?

Yes, it's gory in parts (in my opinion). But it's one of the most literate horror novels I've ever read.

Don
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
NightBird
Wizard

I don't know if this is a sale price or not, but it's a good price and highly recommended in reviews.

The Memory Tree by John R. Little from Cemetery Dance for $2.99. One reviewer advises not to read the introduction until after reading the book as it gives too much of the plot away. Also available at Kobo and coupons can apply. Latest Kobo coupon maysave40 for 40% off.

Quote:
A heartbreaking story of love and evil.

Sam Ellis is a middle-aged stock broker living in Seattle, successful, married to a woman he dearly loves, with everything he could want. But below the surface, there are scars.

Then his world changes. For reasons he doesn't understand, Sam is thrust back in time to 1968, the summer he turned thirteen. He meets his parents and his own childhood self.

That summer changed Sam's world. Monsters walked the streets of his hometown, and now Sam will come face to face with those monsters again, this time as an adult.

Nothing will ever be the same.

Last edited by NightBird; 05-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Brendan Moody
Groupie
Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G LTE, LG Ultimate 2
John Harwood's The Ghost Writer is $1.99 at Amazon US in today's Kindle Daily Deal. It's a really creepy if somewhat predictable Gothic ghost story; I recommend it highly.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
John Harwood's The Ghost Writer is $1.99 at Amazon US in today's Kindle Daily Deal. It's a really creepy if somewhat predictable Gothic ghost story; I recommend it highly.

This looks like an incredible read.

I'm getting it.

THANK YOU!

Don
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Picked up 'The Memory Tree' with the Kobo discount code. Thanks!
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Ghost stories from Stackpole, today:

Night Stalks the Mansion: A True Story of One Family's Ghostly Adventure by Harold Cameron and Constance Westbie

Quote:
Back by popular demand; A supernatural detective story

Now in paperback, this true story recounts a Philadelphia family's encounter with a supernatural presence in their eighteenth-century mansion. After experiencing footsteps at night, opening doors, strange sounds and activity that centered around the library, they investigate, unearthing the mansion's tragic past and changing their beliefs about the supernatural world.

About the Author
The late Constance Westbie won the 1977 National Writers Club Award for Nonfiction for her collaboration with the late Harold Cameron in writing Night Stalks the Mansion. Harold Cameron and his family lived in the house on Plum Tree Lane for almost two years.
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Stalks-M...dp/B001GIPJ3I/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote