Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
tringtring100
tringtring100 began at the beginning.

Device: !!
Help:sony prs505 or palm TX

Hello everyone.I really like to have sony prs as i have a bulk of pdf books.Sony PRS505 is not available in our country, if i import it could cost me too much (import on electronics is high,shipping rate will also be high - i am from a remote part of the country) so it leave me no choice in opting for a substitute - Palm TX ($379 - $ 455 in my country)

I dont know much about other than stated in their web.I want it mainly for reading pdf books.Is Palm TX good for pdf viewing? Or are there a better options. Please i need your suggestions.Thanks.
tringtring100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
I have a palm TX and it would not be good for reading pdf books. The small screen works OK for text files or html files, but reading a pdf book on the TX would be maddenning.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
tringtring100

Re:Thank you

Thanks for the reply.I am relieved now, palm TX has gone off my mind now.Thanks again
Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello, I am an amateur internet user. My cat has recently begun to defecate, and, as such, I have been forced to come to grips with a crossroads about a decision that has weighed heavy on the minds of many for a very long time. "The cat's" recent thing going on there is now a prime, big time issue involving several spans of context and decisions possible, and, as such, now forces me to choose between that off-brand sand orrrrr Gritty Kitty Litterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I now have many questions for you:
Where should my wallet go sniffing if it wants to find the best find?
Can you trust a cat with that off-brand sand?
Will Gritty Kitty Litter keep my cat's nose dry in case of a storm?
All these questions and more lead to several conclusions that must summarily be examined vis-a-vis the Web. EOM
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
tringtring100

Re:Spooky

Hey i like jokes but this is not a joke thread .Go f**k yourself somewhere.
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tringtring100 View Post
Or are there a better options. Please i need your suggestions.Thanks.
Note that none of the 6" screen readers are particularly good for PDF reading - covered in various past threads - the iLiad may be worth a look, as it has a bigger screen, but you might also consider a tablet or sub-notebook PC.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tringtring100 View Post
I have a bulk of pdf books
If you need to read pdf files formatted for A4 or letter, forget *any* portable reader.
Get an old notebook. My first "dedicated book reading device" was an old notebook. 286, 2MB Ram, greyscale 640x480 display, without battery, without harddisk. I have made a boot floppy (DOS 3.0) put a simple text viewer on it, plus one book.

In reading comfort for non-pdf formated fiction an e-ink device with a 6" viziplex screen is by far the best choice.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
tringtring100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Note that none of the 6" screen readers are particularly good for PDF reading - covered in various past threads - the iLiad may be worth a look, as it has a bigger screen, but you might also consider a tablet or sub-notebook PC.
Thanks.Based on your experience (you have prs) you think Sony prs is not that good for pdf? Or Illiad would be a better one

I think tablet or sub-notebook is not as portable as ebook reader not to mention their prices.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
tringtring100

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you need to read pdf files formatted for A4 or letter, forget *any* portable reader.
Get an old notebook. My first "dedicated book reading device" was an old notebook. 286, 2MB Ram, greyscale 640x480 display, without battery, without harddisk. I have made a boot floppy (DOS 3.0) put a simple text viewer on it, plus one book.

In reading comfort for non-pdf formated fiction an e-ink device with a 6" viziplex screen is by far the best choice.
Yes an old notebook will be good but i dont have; investing on old notebook is not in my favour, thanks for the suggestion though.

e-ink viziplex screen, i'll remember that thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
One other thought. I was considering a Palm TX also before purchasing a Sony 505 (Not here yet). At least a month ago if you have a Vista operating system, the Palm software had not been updated for Vista. That was a killer for me. I don't use PDF files much while mobile.

Good luck in your choice.
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote