Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, ilovejedd, but I'll try to get the Bluefire thing working first.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I have attached the iPad to the computer (running Windows 7), let iTune open by itself, and let it synchronise
I clicked on devices - Owner's iPad is the only one I have
I clicked on the Apps tab, and the apps I have appeared on the computer screen
I clicked on Bluefire Reader, and a dark blue margin showed around it. Nothing else happens.
I do not see a File Sharing section, and never have seen anything like that. How do I make it show? I've looked in the File icon on the top left of the iTunes display, but don't see anything resembling File Sharing - nor in any of the other options in the horizontal menu at the top of the iTunes window.
When you click on the apps tab, after having selected the iPad, the top half of the screen should have a list of apps on the left, and a picture of the iPad home screen on the right, do you get that?
If so, you should be able to scroll down, and see the file sharing section. This has another list of apps on the left, but this time only those that accept iTunes file transfers are included. And the Documents area on the right is the space you can drop files into.

This is what it should look like:

There are minimum versions of iOS and iTunes to make this work. For the iPad I think you need at least iOS 3.2, and it might have been iTunes 9.1, I'm not sure.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
When you click on the apps tab, after having selected the iPad, the top half of the screen should have a list of apps on the left, and a picture of the iPad home screen on the right, do you get that?
If so, you should be able to scroll down, and see the file sharing section. This has another list of apps on the left, but this time only those that accept iTunes file transfers are included. And the Documents area on the right is the space you can drop files into.

This is what it should look like:

There are minimum versions of iOS and iTunes to make this work. For the iPad I think you need at least iOS 3.2, and it might have been iTunes 9.1, I'm not sure.
Thanks for all your trouble, murraypaul.

When I open iTunes without having the iPad connected I see a panel on the right labelled iTunes sidebar - at the moment it's advertising Ping.

When I connect the iPad and click on device that sidebar stays visible.

When I click on apps the left hand panel remains visible, but a bigger panel showing the apps takes up the rest of the screen - there is nothing to the right of the panel showing the apps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	298
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	83944

Your screen capture look very different from mine, so I've obviously omitted some vital step. But I don't know what that step might be.

PS So far as I know I've got the latest updates to the iOS and to iTunes.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
You have the Apps section of your itunes library selected, rather than the apps that are actually installed on your ipad.

Select 'Owner's ipad', then the 'Apps' tab that appears at the top of the screen.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
You have the Apps section of your itunes library selected, rather than the apps that are actually installed on your ipad.

Select 'Owner's ipad', then the 'Apps' tab that appears at the top of the screen.
Thanks, Glenn. I just came back to admit my mistake, and you've already posted the reason.

I'm so embarrassed; I had clicked the Apps icon on the left panel rather than the one on the horizontal menu. Once I clicked the correct icon everything fell in to place - except that though I can transfer books from my computer to Bluefire I still can't work how to transfer books from the iBooks library to the Bluefire library. I want to do that so I can do a true comparison.

I know the ebook I transferred from my computer looks better in Bluefire than it does in iBooks.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Here's what to do. Go to iTunes, and on the left in the sidebar, you'll see something called Books. Check the list, find the book you want, and drag and drop to a location of your choice on your hard drive. Next, go back to itunes and look at your on-device app list, choose bluefire reader and either drag and drop to there, or do "add" and choose the book you just saved out. Works fine with non-DRMd books.

AFAIK there is no way to simply drag from one app to the other. You will always have to have some intermediate steps.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-15-2012 at 01:16 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Here's what to do. Go to iTunes, and on the left in the sidebar, you'll see something called Books. Check the list, find the book you want, and drag and drop to a location of your choice on your hard drive. Next, go back to itunes and look at your on-device app list, choose bluefire reader and either drag and drop to there, or do "add" and choose the book you just saved out. Works fine with non-DRMd books.

AFAIK there is no way to simply drag from one app to the other. You will always have to have some intermediate steps.
Thanks, kyteflyer
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
apalix
apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'apalix knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ipad
BlueFire reader

Install dropbox on your PC and iPad. Log in on your iPad and your computer
Open iTunes; click on your books, and highlight everything that you want to put in Bluefire Reader.

Drag all your books to the dropbox on the computer. Open dropbox on your iPad and click on each (I don't think you can select more than one at a time.)

You will get an error "This file tpe can't be viewed", etc. Don't worry about that. Just touch the arrow on the top right hand corner of the iPad app and it will ask where you want to put the file. Choose Bluefire Reader and voila! It's there.

Much better interface, I think.
apalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
NETLOLA
NETLOLA began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
@AlexBell
The easiest way to get your epubs to Bluefire or iBooks is by emailing them to yourself and tapping on "Open in..." on the attachment.

Another option (if you think you'll be doing this regularly), if you have Dropbox, install the Dropbox app on your iPad and link it to your Dropbox account. After that, you can just copy the ebooks to your Dropbox folder, open the Dropbox app on the iPad, browse to the ebook and tap on "Open in...". If you have other epub readers installed on your iPad, those should show up in the "Open in..." dialog. If you star/favorite the book in Dropbox, it'll make it available offline so say you only open it in iBooks right now, you open the book in Bluefire later even if you don't have internet connection. I use this method to get ebooks to iBooks, Stanza, MegaReader, Bluefire, Kobo, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apalix View Post
Install dropbox on your PC and iPad. Log in on your iPad and your computer
Open iTunes; click on your books, and highlight everything that you want to put in Bluefire Reader.

Drag all your books to the dropbox on the computer. Open dropbox on your iPad and click on each (I don't think you can select more than one at a time.)

You will get an error "This file tpe can't be viewed", etc. Don't worry about that. Just touch the arrow on the top right hand corner of the iPad app and it will ask where you want to put the file. Choose Bluefire Reader and voila! It's there.

Much better interface, I think.
The above 2 posts honestly provide the most seamless method of transferring your books from your PC to whichever ereader App you desire. I have used this method for the past 2 years, and find it the most simple and direct way.

This help page on the DropBox website will answer all your questions, and show you how easy its use is. You can also use Dropbox to transfer pictures, any documents, etc, to the relevant Apps on the iPad:
https://www.dropbox.com/help

Last edited by NETLOLA; 05-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.
NETLOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for your advice, but...

I have attached the iPad to the computer (running Windows 7), let iTune open by itself, and let it synchronise
I clicked on devices - Owner's iPad is the only one I have
I clicked on the Apps tab, and the apps I have appeared on the computer screen
I clicked on Bluefire Reader, and a dark blue margin showed around it. Nothing else happens.
I do not see a File Sharing section, and never have seen anything like that. How do I make it show? I've looked in the File icon on the top left of the iTunes display, but don't see anything resembling File Sharing - nor in any of the other options in the horizontal menu at the top of the iTunes window.

What am I doing wrong?
Scroll Down: The file sharing is below the apps listing and there will be another box with bluefire in it.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
Scroll Down: The file sharing is below the apps listing and there will be another box with bluefire in it.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
willthethrill521
M!77!@W
willthethrill521 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle fire
YES! To put a book you have written onto the bluefire app:
1. Connect your iPad to itunes.
2. Go to "apps" and scroll down to the bottom.
3. click on the Bluefire app and drop your epub into the box on the right
4. sync

very simple.

If it still doesnt work ty deleting and redownloading bluefire then restart the ipad. that should do it
willthethrill521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #28
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for this thread...i learned a lot
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Celeste Emslie
Celeste Emslie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi my name is celeste
I am having trouble getting a book from kobo to bluefire reader. I have a the new ipad I tried emailing it to myself in a attachment but the attachment was a picture of the book so I could not open it.
Can someone give me ideas of how I can get the book. I brought the book a month ago from kobo and it is getting frustrating that I can't read it.

Thanks
Celeste Emslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste Emslie View Post
Hi my name is celeste
I am having trouble getting a book from kobo to bluefire reader. I have a the new ipad I tried emailing it to myself in a attachment but the attachment was a picture of the book so I could not open it.
Can someone give me ideas of how I can get the book. I brought the book a month ago from kobo and it is getting frustrating that I can't read it.

Thanks
If the book has DRM it will only be readable via the Kobo for iOS app. If there is no DRM then it should be readable via Bluefire or any other ePub reader app.

I use iTunes to drag and drop book files into my iPad 3 and that works really well.