Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Wink creating epubs at larger font sizes

Sony PRS 505

I have vision problems and my old Sony just won't give me the size that I can view comfortably. I read a lot of books from Gutenberg and I ike to convert them from text files to epub. I tried to use OpenOffice to format a book in font size 14 hoping that would be a base font and I could scale upward from there. When I converted the odt to epub in calibre, the viewer sized the font at 14 but when I viewed it in my Sony, it didn't change at all.

I suspect I'm going to have to go into the epub by first changing the extension to zip and extracting the components. My question is: What do I change? There must be something that gives the base font size.

When I opened the converted epub I looked at "stylesheet.css" and this is what I saw:

Code:
 display: block;
    font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
    font-size: 1.2em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    padding-top: 0
You see, the font-size says 1.2em which is aout 14 points, but that isn't what my reader gives me.
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you run them through calibre to convert them? I do something a lot of the purists are against - I put in a base font (of 16) in the Convert > Base font size box, with Convert > Font size key as 14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28.

Seven years ago when I started reading ebooks, I liked to read at 10-12 point. It's been slowly creeping up. The light in my apartment is not great, so if I get to read in better lighting, 14 would probably work for me. Anyway, that hard-codes the font size, and many suggest against it. But if you're doing it for yourself, you only have yourself to answer to!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
What happens if you eliminate the font size in the CSS? My Sony gives pretty giant text at Large.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Sony PRS 505

I have vision problems and my old Sony just won't give me the size that I can view comfortably. I read a lot of books from Gutenberg and I ike to convert them from text files to epub. I tried to use OpenOffice to format a book in font size 14 hoping that would be a base font and I could scale upward from there. When I converted the odt to epub in calibre, the viewer sized the font at 14 but when I viewed it in my Sony, it didn't change at all.

I suspect I'm going to have to go into the epub by first changing the extension to zip and extracting the components. My question is: What do I change? There must be something that gives the base font size.

When I opened the converted epub I looked at "stylesheet.css" and this is what I saw:

Code:
 display: block;
    font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
    font-size: 1.2em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    padding-top: 0
You see, the font-size says 1.2em which is aout 14 points, but that isn't what my reader gives me.
Thanks,
Paul
I use that value in the CSS and use the (font) Zoom level 3 setting on my reader (there are a few more larger for when I catch up to Fizzywater )

I believe the Sony uses a similar version of ADE . There should be a size option on the menu. Note: this is a per book setting that is stored along with 'last read' location
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
p3aul
Captain Courageous

I'm familiar with the 3 size options in the Sony 505. The problem lies in the fact that there are only three and the available sizes are not to my liking. I know there is a base font-size option somewhere and that scales up from there. I just don't know where it is. i need an epub guru or a website that explains the whole thing for me.

Theducks: you mentioned "the value in the css" were you referring to the one I had posted above? That would be perfect, but the 505 doesn't seem to recognize that value!
Paul
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
I'm familiar with the 3 size options in the Sony 505. The problem lies in the fact that there are only three and the available sizes are not to my liking. I know there is a base font-size option somewhere and that scales up from there. I just don't know where it is. i need an epub guru or a website that explains the whole thing for me.

Theducks: you mentioned "the value in the css" were you referring to the one I had posted above? That would be perfect, but the 505 doesn't seem to recognize that value!
Paul
you trimmed off the selector, the rest looks good (ADE will toss the whole style if there is one tiny error)
Some other tag that affects the Paragraph, after this one, may override this.

And I have seen duplicate selectors. You fix the first one and the later one is the one in control

The current segment (HTML file) needs a working link to the stylesheet (this is evident, by nothing working as expected)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Thanks. I used Fizzywater's suggestion, set the base font at 16 in the GUI and under "Font Size Key" I used 16, 18, 20
Worked like a charm!
Thanks!
Paul