Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
DonaldS
DonaldS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Proper method for charging Kindle Touch Battery

I have the Kindle Touch. (. . . and this is my first post to mobileread)

I purchased the AC Power Adapter, from Amazon, at the time I ordered the Touch.

What is the proper, step-by-step method of charging the battery. Should the Touch be completely Off, (hitting and holding the power button in for at least 30 seconds), or do I charge it while in the "sleep" mode?

I am not charging it from the computer, I am charging it from an AC wall socket, with the separate power adapter on the USB cable that came with the Touch.

Thanks for any help here.
DonaldS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I charge my Kindle Keyboard using a wall charger while it is in sleep mode.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldS View Post
I have the Kindle Touch. (. . . and this is my first post to mobileread)

I purchased the AC Power Adapter, from Amazon, at the time I ordered the Touch.

What is the proper, step-by-step method of charging the battery. Should the Touch be completely Off, (hitting and holding the power button in for at least 30 seconds), or do I charge it while in the "sleep" mode?

I am not charging it from the computer, I am charging it from an AC wall socket, with the separate power adapter on the USB cable that came with the Touch.

Thanks for any help here.
Congratulations. There's no special procedure on the kindle ... plug it in and it will be charged in an hour or so. It's wise not to charge too often, a charge will probably last you several weeks (but maybe not the first couple of weeks when you might be playing around with it a lot more that you normally would).

If you charge it via USB, you can eject the drive on the computer to read while charging.

Cheers,
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
DonaldS

TOVARE - Thank you for the reply with explanation. I appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... I'm not sure why you are asking. Are you just unsure how it works, or are you having a special problem? As Tovare noted, it is very straightforward. However, if you are having a problem, there are three different issues that some have reported.

1) There are some reports that their new Kindle Touch is having problems charging. It will be plugged in a long time (overnight?), and the charge light never turns from amber to green. I would consider this a fault and get it replaced if I was you. One of the pleasures of doing business with Amazon is that they are extremely generous and easy when handling returns. Just contact customer service and your replacement Kindle will be in your hands within 1-2 days. Returning your current Kindle will be free and easy. You can even wait until you get the replacement and use the box from the replacement to ship the old Kindle back.

2) Some computers have USB ports that don't put out sufficient power. If this is the case, you might try another computer, use a powered USB plug, or easiest of all, buy a charger that accepts a USB cable for $10 at Target or Walmart in the U.S. I know you aren't looking for USB charging, but I'm including this in case this post comes up when someone does a search on "Kindle Touch charging problems".

3) When you load a new book on the Kindle, the device will index the book so that you can perform searches at a later date. If you get a new Kindle and immediately load on many books (hundreds, thousands), it has a lot of indexing to do. In this case, your battery might drain quickly because the Kindle is doing a lot of hidden background work to perform the indexing. This is temporary, and after the first charge or two indexing will be completed and battery life will return to normal.

Last edited by emellaich; 01-30-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Typo's/grammar
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
DonaldS

No, not having a problem with charging. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the "charge" correctly. I have had digital cameras that warned if you attempted to charge the battery while the camera was "On", it could damage the system. I have friends that took the "plunge right in" approach to charging a camera battery, and toasted their batteries as well as parts of the camera.

And, as I pointed out, I was NOT charging via the USB cable to the computer.

I only load one or two books at a time, so I never worry about that "indexing" thing.

In conclusion, I posted my question because I don't believe in the "plunge right in" method of dealing with a new things - especially electronic things.

DonaldS
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Connect the AC power first, and disconnect it last.

Conversely, connect the small end of the USB data/charging cable to the Kindle last, and disconnect it first, when charged.

Try not to drain the battery below 40%, and if you do, recharge it immediately.

Don't always charge the Kindle to 100%. Shoot for about 80%. Once in a while, charge until just full (100%) without overcharging (it will probably shut off anyway, but it may not).

Once in a while, discharge until Kindle asks you to recharge. Try to hit this discharge point as quickly as possible; pick a day when you are going to do a lot of reading, and let it discharge until it warns you it wants a recharge. It will say so, on screen, in a pop-up dialog box.

When the pop-up appears, charge to 100%, then immediately disconnect (hopefully you notice the charge LED changed colours, within an hour of it having done so -- no big deal if you miss it and let it stay on the charger, but it's not ideal to do so).

No reason not to use Kindle while it's charging, but you may want a table easel type of stand for it, to give best mechanical protection to the USB data/charging port, and the cable.
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
DonaldS

teasonc: Thank you for your excellent reply. I understood all of it, (Not easy for a 75 year old geezer) and have now a charged battery for my Kindle Touch. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasonc View Post
Try not to drain the battery below 40%, and if you do, recharge it immediately.
Quote:
Once in a while, discharge until Kindle asks you to recharge.
Do you have good reason for suggesting these methods?

I know you used to get advice on occasionally allowing your mobile phone to fully discharge, but more recently it's been suggested there is no longer any need to do these types of things to prolong the battery life? Also, those two suggestions are pretty contradictory.....?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
teasonc is one of few, who gives proper advice on how to handle Li-Ion batteries. Do NOT drain a Li-Ion, they do not like it, do not overcharge or always try to go to 100%, this is the highest stress for a Li-Ion.
Most people tell stories about charging and have NO clue.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
teasonc is one of few, who gives proper advice on how to handle Li-Ion batteries. Do NOT drain a Li-Ion, they do not like it, do not overcharge or always try to go to 100%, this is the highest stress for a Li-Ion.
Any correctly-engineered device will have over- and under-charge protection for the battery built-in to its software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I use a wall charger as well and note that it takes considerably longer than an hour to charge. I know that iPad apps suggest allowing a battery to be below 20% before recharging at least once a month. I haven't been concerned about the charge time as battery life on the Touch is pretty amazing. I also don't notice a way to tell what percentage you are at. There is a bar display but not a numeric display as to battery charge.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
> #9

Please see batteryuniversity.com for their article entitled

"Battery Fuel Gauge: Factual or Fallacy?"

-- scroll to "Calibration".

This gives a full rationale for occasionally discharging until Kindle asks for a recharge.

That page shows the correct, complete procedure:

1. Charge fully (sets the 'full-charge' flag)
2. Discharge to 10% (manufacturer will specify the exact percentage; here it is shown as 10% -- sets the 'full-discharge' flag)
3. Charge to 100% (to complete the calibration).

EDIT:

4. Discharge to storage (40%) or standby (80%) capacity.

With Kindle, discharge is (somewhat) equivalent to ordinary use of the device, so it's a bit tricky to get it down from 100% at much of a discharge rate. The user will therefore want to time the calibration procedure to coincide with the beginning of a heavy usage day for Kindle.

____
ref. [ http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ual_or_fallacy ]

Last edited by teasonc; 01-27-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Step 4. Additional remarks.
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
The bit in bold was why I was wondering, so thanks for clarifying, and thanks also teasonc for the additional info. I generally follow the don't fully discharge except very occasionally 'rule' without really knowing why, but I wasn't aware at all of "don't always charge to 100%", so I'll start doing that from now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
I use a wall charger as well and note that it takes considerably longer than an hour to charge....
Yes, you're right amazon says 4 hours from USB for a full charge from empty. It's not empty when delivered, so if he tried my suggestion he probably got a full charge in an hour ... so it was not entirely wrong :-)

(I never keep track my selv, the battery is a non-issue for me).

Cheers
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote