Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
You can't turn the color off because it's achieved with filters.
Yes I understand that. But what is the reason for telling us how big the b/w resolution is, if you can never have that since the pixels in color are bigger. Well, it might still have its advantage as literally sub-pixel anti aliasing is possible. Not sure though if the colors in the corners going mess anything up.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Btw the jetbook is 9.7" just like the Amazon, Onyx and the Sony, the only news here is the color.
No, it's not. It's a 9.7" screen at 800x600 resolution. That's too low a resolution for a 9.7" screen. Take off the Triton layer and leave it at 1600x1200 and you have a very nice 9.7" screen. But add the Triton layer and may as well not bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes I understand that. But what is the reason for telling us how big the b/w resolution is, if you can never have that since the pixels in color are bigger. Well, it might still have its advantage as literally sub-pixel anti aliasing is possible. Not sure though if the colors in the corners going mess anything up.
You can't do anything with the 1600x1200 resolution under the color layer. It's not possible. All you'll get is 800x600 and that's it. No anti-aliasing sub-pixel rendering. Just 800x600 and it will look big and it will look jagged and it won't look nice.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can't do anything with the 1600x1200 resolution under the color layer. It's not possible. All you'll get is 800x600 and that's it. No anti-aliasing sub-pixel rendering. Just 800x600 and it will look big and it will look jagged and it won't look nice.
I am just curious, but how do you know that it will be impossible to sub-pixel anti-alias? Let's just imagine (since we don't have the specs anywhere) that the triton color filter makes each color pixel like this (with R for red, G for green, B for blue, W for white/no color filter). Capital letters for all white, and dots for black.
Code:
examples for all white:
  RB
  GW
all black:
red and grey turned on:
  R.
  .W
now for black text and white background you could make out of a "line" like this:

Code:
RBRB..
GWGW..
RB..RB
GW..GW
..RBRB
..GWGW
with subpixel AA turned on:
Code:
RBRB..
GWG...
RB...B
G...GW
...BRB
..GWGW
Not sure if this will work for AA white spaces, but it should work to fill in black for sure.

just a thought.

Edit: on second thought, if it works, it will work for black and white spots equally well. since you either add a little color if cutting some off the letter, and take some color away for filling in gaps on the background. Including gray levels might or might not improve it even more. And it should be user selectable, just like you can tune on screen font AA in Windows.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There is no B&W mode to get a higher resolution., It's 800x600. That's all you get on a 9.7" screen.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
There is no B&W mode to get a higher resolution., It's 800x600. That's all you get on a 9.7" screen.
Excuse me, but do I read http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/ wrong? It does say:

Quote:
Triton Color E Ink screen
9.7" Display
1600x1200 resolution
That is the B/W layer underneath before the color filter gets added. Now of course you might not be able to access each b/w pixel, but you CAN make a color edge around your text that just happens to turn only the corners on and off you want for AA. Only b/c it is a color screen, does not mean that you cannot display black text and white background at a resolution of 800x600.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Ectaco has a bad habit of LYING to their customers.

They should not be telling them the resolution is 1600x1200 because the effective resolution is only 800x600. We are not getting sub-pixels. We are just getting 800x600. That's it. That's all there is and all there will be.

Ectaco has been lying to customers since the first Jetbook and they made a chart comparing Sony and Amazon and they just plain lied in a number of their so-called comparisons.

So it's not surprising that Ectao isn't telling people that all you get is 800x600 with 4096 muted (all the pictures/video I've seen the colors look muted) colors.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Ectaco has a bad habit of LYING to their customers.
Ok, fine, then take the video in the beginning of the thread. Unless of course you think the PR guy from e-ink is lying too. He does talk about the 1600x1200 b/w layer of the triton color screen. And then goes on that the jetbook is not a fantasy, but ships already.

Edit: and to mention it again, Ectaco IS lying about the useable resolution on the jetbook, I do not disagree that they lie, and they do.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-20-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ok, fine, then take the video in the beginning of the thread. Unless of course you think the PR guy from e-ink is lying too. He does talk about the 1600x1200 b/w layer of the triton color screen. And then goes on that the jetbook is not a fantasy, but ships already.
I've edited my previous post. Please go read it.

I know the 1600x1200 screen is mentioned. But Ectaco makes it sound like the COLOR resolution is 1600x1200 when it is not. And $500 is a bit overpriced for a large screen device with poor low resolution.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I've edited my previous post. Please go read it.

I know the 1600x1200 screen is mentioned. But Ectaco makes it sound like the COLOR resolution is 1600x1200 when it is not. And $500 is a bit overpriced for a large screen device with poor low resolution.
And I apologize for stepping out of line the way I responded - and yes they ARE lying about the resolution useable on the jetbook. I would definately wait til the 300 ppi b/w screens come in a large e-reader. I still believe though that the ledgebility of b/w text and thus the readability could be improved using my theory up top.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And I apologize for stepping out of line the way I responded - and yes they ARE lying about the resolution useable on the jetbook. I would definitely wait til the 300 ppi b/w screens come in a large e-reader. I still believe though that the legibility of b/w text and thus the readability could be improved using my theory up top.
I would much prefer the 9.7" device be sans-color so it would have a 1600x1200 resolution. That would be very nice and the price would be able to be lower.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I would much prefer the 9.7" device be sans-color so it would have a 1600x1200 resolution. That would be very nice and the price would be able to be lower.
I totally agree. But you do understand, that there MUST be a option for color as well. And unfortunately, the price for the b/w version of the reader might be higher due to (possibly) lower demand.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I totally agree. But you do understand, that there MUST be a option for color as well. And unfortunately, the price for the b/w version of the reader might be higher due to (possibly) lower demand.
It's not going to fly. Given the price, you can buy a good tablet.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #44
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
It's not going to fly. Given the price, you can buy a good tablet.
A good tablet you cannot read outside in the sunlight? Imagine college or university students beeing able to hang out on the beach, and still get some of their work done reading their course books.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A good tablet you cannot read outside in the sunlight? Imagine college or university students being able to hang out on the beach, and still get some of their work done reading their course books.
I just can't see college students at the beach doing homework. It just seems like a flight of fantasy to think that would ever happen.

Tags
ces, demo, e ink, eink, screen