Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
OBoyle
Sr. Reader, Jr. Member
OBoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, PRS-650
Sony PRS-650 Justified Text?

I've just upgraded my Sony PRS-600 to a PRS-650 and loaded it from my Calibre Library. I NOW find that all the books are displaying "justified" pages instead of align-left with ragged right margin. It's irritating, and almost enough top make me revert to the older device.

Is there a FIX for this? Am I just doing something wrong?

Any/all help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

JLOB
OBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under Look & Feel in the conversion settings to control justification.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
OBoyle
Sr. Reader, Jr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look under Look & Feel in the conversion settings to control justification.
Kovid,

But these are EPub files that display properly on ONE device, and not on the other, WITHOUT any intervening conversion. I KNOW I'm missing something here.

JLOB
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBoyle View Post
Kovid,

But these are EPub files that display properly on ONE device, and not on the other, WITHOUT any intervening conversion. I KNOW I'm missing something here.

JLOB
but they display properly on the 650 ... your files are justified, but because the 600 could not display justified text in epubs, it showed everything "align-left with ragged right margin."

If you want "align-left with ragged right margin" you will have to convert your epubs again with this setting -
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBoyle View Post
Kovid,

JLOB
You are missing the fact that the PRS-600 had a very primitive implementation of ADE which was unable to display ePub files fully justified. The PRS-650 has improved ADE software, and is correctly displaying your ePub files fully justified. It's the 600 which was not displaying the books correctly; the 650 is showing them as they should be.

If you prefer left justification, you're going to have to edit your ePub files, and remove the full justification, but I'd strongly urge you to accept that the "normal" way to produce an ePub book is with full justification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
HarryT is correct here. Soon after I got my PRS-300 I found that it ignored CSS 'text-align:justify' selectors. It sounds as if the latest generation of Sony readers have improved rendering capabilities. I would really like my Sony to be able to 'justify'!

So, I wouldn't be too eager to change to left justification: give it a try for a few weeks and you may get used to it, and even wonder why you ever thought of going back.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
OBoyle
Sr. Reader, Jr. Member

Uluhara, HarryT, & Agamo...

Thanks. I'm all set now that I know what's going on. I was able to re-convert books, in place, and then reload my 650. I may, some day, try to get used to "justified" text, but not at the moment.

Thanks again.

JLOB