Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Two-paged Tablet/eReader Combo - A Better Choice for Me?

Help!!!

I would like to be able to read my ebooks two-pages at a time (meaning one page next to the other, as I would an actual book).

It occurs to me that I could probably do that very nicely with a larger tablet/ebook combo -- something like the pandigital or the nook, on which I could load a program that could do such a thing --

I want to know which would be my best choices. I think it's nifty to have the other apps, and the color is kewl -- BUT it seems to me there's a huge tradeoff in terms of battery life once I go to color, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a color device that can last longer than 6-8 hours at a charge. Because frankly, it seems a little silly to have a device primarily for ebooks and convenience during the day, if it's tethered to the wall charging, all the time (unless I can find one that utilizes a car charger for between-errands charging, not that I would read while driving -- cuz I know that question will be the next one for me!)
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The NOOKcolor lasts longer than 6-8 hours per charge if all you're doing is reading. Please don't compare battery life to the Literati.

If you want additional functionality with the NOOKcolor you would have to root it. You can't load any programs on the stock device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The Sony PRS 950 has a two-page view, like an actual book. That's how I usually read with it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The NOOKcolor lasts longer than 6-8 hours per charge if all you're doing is reading. Please don't compare battery life to the Literati.

If you want additional functionality with the NOOKcolor you would have to root it. You can't load any programs on the stock device.
-- I don't have an SD slot on my main computer, which makes me think I won't be able to root a nook by transferring programs. The Literati is now nothing more than a fleeting, embarrassing stage of my life, since I returned the
*(&^(*)* last week.

Is there a program loadable onto the nook that would enable me to read pages side-by-side?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
-- I don't have an SD slot on my main computer, which makes me think I won't be able to root a nook by transferring programs. The Literati is now nothing more than a fleeting, embarrassing stage of my life, since I returned the
*(&^(*)* last week.

Is there a program loadable onto the nook that would enable me to read pages side-by-side?

Thank you in advance.
You can purchase a storage card reader for about $10. Just plug it into a USB port.

What you're seeking is of interest to many with a NOOKcolor. There is no two-page view for epubs at this time. You get a landscape option, but not two pages.

As the other poster suggested, the Sony 950 is a great device for what you want. Of course if you're interested in a non-eink device, that won't do.

I see you updated your device info in your profile.
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

I misspoke. The stock NOOKcolor doesn't even allow landscape mode for epubs (feature obviously missing). Unless rooting is something you want to do (for other reasons), perhaps you shouldn't consider this device.

I don't spend much time with the stock reader/library anymore that's why I forgot about this. Pardon the misinformation in the prior post.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Okay then, suppose I wanted to get a NOOKColor and root it, because it sounds like it might be fun and interesting, and might even be useful. It's sort of low-end hacking, since I would be hacking into my own property, but hey -- then I can say I once hacked something.

This, then, would be my question: Suppose I DID root a NookColor. Would I be able to add a program like Adobe Digital Editions so that I actually COULD view pages side-by-side? In landscape mode?

I'm asking because I'm perfectly able to read adobe editions books on my laptop in side-to-side mode.

There are many things about the nook that really appeal to me -- the quality and reliability, for one. I got burned bad on the literati, and would really like not to spend a fortnight figuring the darned thing out, only to find out it's a dud.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

The only app that I'm aware of that allows two-page landscape view is Cool Reader (Android). There are other ereader app for epubs, but they only allow one-page landscape view. Here's a screen shot. Of course you can make the necessary adjustments within the options of the app.

My screen shot is messed up, but you get the idea. You can adjust the margins, text size, and font to get it to flow the way you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_4.png
Views:	321
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	66255  

Last edited by SCION; 02-06-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The only app that I'm aware of that allows two-page landscape view is Cool Reader (Android). There are other ereader app for epubs, but they only allow one-page landscape view. Here's a screen shot. Of course you can make the necessary adjustments within the options of the app.

My screen shot is messed up, but you get the idea. You can adjust the margins, text size, and font to get it to flow the way you like.
So, if I understand correctly, rooting the NOOKColor would enable me to add the CoolReader app -- otherwise, that app is unavailable on that device?

(I haven't handled it yet, so I'm trying to grasp the possibilities and impossibilities before I go to the trouble of getting involved, as I did with the blasted Literati.)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
So, if I understand correctly, rooting the NOOKColor would enable me to add the CoolReader app -- otherwise, that app is unavailable on that device?
Correct. The stock device doesn't have access to the Android Market and you can't sideload any apps onto the device. Meaning, if you had an app and you wanted to place it on the device, you couldn't.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad

It will show you the ebook in a similar way to a pbook: two pages at time. But only an eink device can give you days or even weeks of battery life.

My Galaxy Tab is giving me about 8 hrs of heavy usage but the screen is smaller. Even if I find an application that allows a two split page GT and Nook color are more suitable for portrait mode, in my opinion, because the 7 inch screen. Nook Color has accelerometer but does not support landscape for epubs, only PDFs, besides you need to "root it" which is a process that will void the device's warranty.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote